noob ring guard question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

noob ring guard question

Howdy,noob question here. I'm looking at Kona Coilers and see they have a ring guard then the 32/22 chain rings on the front. I have always had mt bikes with all 3 chain rings on the front and am wondering can I remove the ring guard on a setup like this and replace it with an outer chain ring? I dont use the 42 chain ring on my current bike much, but if I found that I'd like to have one that has the ring guard can this be done? flame suit is on- shoot

...idios...
    It should be possible. You may need to reset the front derailleur, but otherwise it should be straightforward. Planning on doing the work yourself?
    I don't think you're going to be needing the flame suit...

Peace,
    Steve

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    yeah looking at pics I can find in mags and internent, it looks like an outer chainring would just go in place of the ring guard. Good point on the derailleur, wonder if it has enough movement for a third sprocket or if it would have to be replaced also
    thanks Steve!

...idios...
    Sorry, I should have said shifter, not derailleur. As far as my experience goes, the shifter will have been set up so that it can only switch between two settings, to correspond with the two front rings. I expect that you'd be able to just disconnect the cable at the derailleur and then set it up as normal for three rings. The derailleur will almost certainly be able to operate three rings.

I post too much.
    It will work. Most front shifters are meant to handle two or three rings. All you'll have to do is retune your shifter and your derailleur and you'll be good to go.

Double-metric mtb man
    Yeah, there will be some set-up with it, but you can easily run a 3rd ring with a light duty bash plate on it. That's what I did for my trail bike...slapped an eNVy ring outboard of my 44t ring.

It isn't as beefy as the big e.13 or similar full replacement bash rings (like what is on your ride now) but for my riding, it does well and still lets me have my big chainring for long distance stuff.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Former Bike Wrench

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Yes, it can be done quite easily

The front shifters on Coilers are standard three gears and the front derailuer is standard as well. They are even usually come set at the correct height for a three ring set-up. The high (H) derailuer stop adjustment is set to keep you from shifting to a third ring...that is all. However, you WILL need to double check the chain legnth, as I am not sure if Kona puts a shorter chain on for the two ring set-up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Yeah, there will be some set-up with it, but you can easily run a 3rd ring with a light duty bash plate on it. That's what I did for my trail bike...slapped an eNVy ring outboard of my 44t ring.

It isn't as beefy as the big e.13 or similar full replacement bash rings (like what is on your ride now) but for my riding, it does well and still lets me have my big chainring for long distance stuff.
    I dont want to run a 3rd ring AND a rg, just a 3rd ring in place of the rg, thanks though

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The front shifters on Coilers are standard three gears and the front derailuer is standard as well. They are even usually come set at the correct height for a three ring set-up. The high (H) derailuer stop adjustment is set to keep you from shifting to a third ring...that is all. However, you WILL need to double check the chain legnth, as I am not sure if Kona puts a shorter chain on for the two ring set-up.

good info thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0