noob derailleur + chain questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

noob derailleur + chain questions

i've got a bike i'm working on putting together. it already has 8 speed shifters, but i need a rear derailleur and a chain. i'm looking to get a deore xt or lx derailleur, probably used. are there 8 speed-specific models i need to look for, or will any deore xt or lx do? and for the chain, do i need to get an 8 speed chain, or some other specific length?

thanks.

Can't feel my legs
    Just go the extra 1/4 mile and go 9spd

AZ
    banned
    8 speed stuff is going the way of the Dodo , best to make the change now , its much easier to find .

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    interesting. that actually works out better for me since i'm trying to get stuff relatively cheap. i live in africa and i won't be keeping the bike long-term (see this post) so i don't mind going with older technology.

that said, my original question still stands - do i need a certain model of derailleur and chain?

Old man on a bike
    If you have an 8-speed cassette/shifters use an 8-speed chain. The derailleur doesn't care if it's 8 or 9 speed (same width freehub/cassettes, 9 speed uses thinner chain and more closely spaced cassette cogs). It's possible to use the 9 speed chain, but no real point (altho some claim better shifting, but it's a bit weaker).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Can't feel my legs
    Quote Originally Posted by toubab
    interesting. that actually works out better for me since i'm trying to get stuff relatively cheap. i live in africa and i won't be keeping the bike long-term (see this post) so i don't mind going with older technology.

that said, my original question still stands - do i need a certain model of derailleur and chain?
    The point is that you are already planning to replace deraileur and chain. Since you are replacing the chain, you will most likely have to replace the cassette(new chains and worn cassettes don't play well together) So, the only additional thing you would need, is a rear shifter. No real advantage to 9spd, but parts are much easier to find.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Alivio derailleur is enough for 8 speed, but will cost less, than LX or XT. By the way, keep in mind, that Shimano rear derailleur will work with Shimano shifter only. If your shifter is SRAM, you will need a SRAM derailleur.
    As to the cassette and chain, as the poster above has mentioned, a worn out cassette may not work with a new chain. Often the problem is with the smallest cog. In this case, if you can get a small cog alone (say, from another broken cassette), it may solve the problem without replacing the whole cassette. .

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks for the advice, everyone. i get what you're saying about a worn chain with a worn cassette - what if i get a used chain rather than a new one? i'm trying to do this on the cheap. fyi, i already have a shimano shifter (tektro), plus everything on this bike is already pretty worn.

~Disc~Golf~
    used chain??????????????????

Honestly... ahh I give up

Can't feel my legs
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    used chain??????????????????

Not quite as dumb as it sounds. I once put together a beater out of parts I had laying around, but was lacking a chain. I tried a new one, but it just skipped under the slightest preasure. My freind had an old chain and gave it to me. It worked perfect

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^, well, It kinda was sounding like he was gonna go and try to BUY a used chain - I suppose, 'get' can mean just what you described
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    looking to go used for all of these parts. i have a cousin with extra parts and am getting stuff from him. this derailleur/chain thing was my main concern.

Can't feel my legs
    Quote Originally Posted by toubab
    looking to go used for all of these parts. i have a cousin with extra parts and am getting stuff from him. this derailleur/chain thing was my main concern.
    To recap then, any deraileur(except sram) will work, and a used chain will likely work better than a new one.

Members who have read this thread: 0