Non suspension bike.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Non suspension bike.

I have a trek 800 and want to change out the front forks to suspension. What do I need to look for as far as size diameter of mounting area or length concerning what type of front shox to get. I would rather get a use set 1st.
    All info would be appreciated.

Former Bike Wrench
    Well first off, I would not recommend putting any money into a Trek 800. The frame is a hi-tensile steel frame that is very heavy and not really suitable for off-road use.

Second, what year is your Trek 800? If you don't know at least post some pictures and maybe someone can help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Trek 800

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    In all honesty, it's not going to happen. I looked into it for an older bike of mine and there have been just too many changes in bike construction to make it worthwhile.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks, I have this bike and a bike I bought while living in Denver area.A bridgestone mb3. Ive been doing alot of hiking 2-6 miles a day, I see a lot of mtb crzing by all with full suspension. They all tell me that I would need a minimum of front suspession to ride and absorb some of the shock on the up hill climbs and down hill stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How tall are you? That looks like a youth bike. I would save and get another bike. If your in love with this bike however, just keep it and use it when your not on the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm 5'7 & picked it up for $45

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hogwild
    Thanks, I have this bike and a bike I bought while living in Denver area.A bridgestone mb3. Ive been doing alot of hiking 2-6 miles a day, I see a lot of mtb crzing by all with full suspension. They all tell me that I would need a minimum of front suspession to ride and absorb some of the shock on the up hill climbs and down hill stuff.
    I suspect you do not need suspension.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would like to at least put a front suspension. But not sure what brand or who make the stuff. The technical issues as far as tube diameter or height. Or what the price range of front shox.

mtbr member
    I think your bike is a 1999 model. According to bikepedia you have a 1-1/8" head tube. Your headset is a threaded headset. That's going to limit your options. I do not know if you can swap a threadless headset for a threaded headset. That said, how much do you really want to spend? You're talking about a 12 year old bike that was only $250 to begin with, and even a super basic headset is $20-$30 and then you're looking at $60 for a suspended fork that will suck. A lot. Doesn't seem worth it, but that's just me.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Holy crap! 29lbs??!! I would just check your local craigslist for a new bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I wanted to put a front suspension if its doable and worth the time. If not I wont ride the hills with all that bouncing around. Getting beat up on the trail is not what I think as enjoyable. If its not worth it I trash the idea and wont mtn bike the trails as wanted to try it out. I can do with out the beating. Thanks for all replies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by boomersooner523
    Holy crap! 29lbs??!! I would just check your local craigslist for a new bike
    funny
    I just put it on the scale today and its more like 31lbs. I have been looking on craigs
    list

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    More like aboat anchor. I know my 1st bike was bridgstone mb3 now that sucker is heavy duty feels like I'm riding tank

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hogwild
    I wanted to put a front suspension if its doable and worth the time. If not I wont ride the hills with all that bouncing around. Getting beat up on the trail is not what I think as enjoyable. If its not worth it I trash the idea and wont mtn bike the trails as wanted to try it out. I can do with out the beating. Thanks for all replies.
    I suggest you try it out. A fork with suspension isn't going to turn your rocky trails in to fluffy clouds. I ride a bike that is fully rigid, on everything from hard packed single track to loose, to rocks and granite (I rode it on the Rubicon trail here in CA). It's fun, it builds a lot of upper body strength that I never got from my full suspension bike and it really hones your skills. Give it a go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm training for half dome and saw a bunch of guys on mtn bike go pass me. I asked them a bunch of Q's they all came to the same conlcusion minimum front suspension.

mtbr member
    OK. For XC type riding, suspension really is a personal choice (and it's yours to make!) but IMO you don't need suspension. It's mostly a 'nice-to-have'.

Fat-tired Roadie
    +1 for suspension's not necessary. People are often very impressed by things that go "boing." You do have to descend a little slower, and it may be a little harder to carry speed in flat areas, but there has been mountain biking for a lot longer than there have been suspension forks for mountain bikes.

If you still have that Bridgestone, it might be a more viable option than the Trek. Bridgestone bikes have a bit of a cult following, and were typically made with a pretty nice steel.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0