mtbr member
    May 2011

No 9 speed rear mech with clutch?

Hi guys.
    I ride a 1x9 setup and I love it. I see no reason to "upgrade" to 1x10. My XT rear mech is on its last legs though (caught a couple of sticks in the recent past) and I'm starting to look for a new one. Doesnt have to be XT but I like to keep my drivetrain Shimano for various reasons. I dont have problems with chain drops but it does happen on occasion (2-3 times pr season). I ride with a Race Face NW ring in the front.

So, I've been looking at clutch derailleurs but I havent been able to find a 9 speed with the clutch mechanism. Were they never made or are they just hard to find?

Peace.

mtbr member
    No. I've modified my SRAM Type2 RD's wire guide to match 9sp cable pull ratio. Works...

Sent from my Nokia X phone using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    -Mika

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mhelander View Post
    I've modified my SRAM Type2 RD's wire guide to match 9sp cable pull ratio.
    Sounds interesting. Care to elaborate? Do you think it would work with an XT or XTR mech?

mtbr member
    Don't have experience but Shadow+ is even easier to use wit SRAM 9sp shifters.

Sent from my Nokia X phone using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    -Mika

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

You may want to rethink 1x10. every part you'll be replacing is a wear item anyway so it's not like you're wasting parts. 9 works great, 10 is just one more gear. It's not going to be worse and you can then have your pick of clutch derailleurs. Which are outstanding by the way. I run a wolf tooth up front and XT shadow plus. No guide and 1 dropped chain in 2 years.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    You may want to rethink 1x10. every part you'll be replacing is a wear item anyway so it's not like you're wasting parts. 9 works great, 10 is just one more gear. It's not going to be worse and you can then have your pick of clutch derailleurs. Which are outstanding by the way. I run a wolf tooth up front and XT shadow plus. No guide and 1 dropped chain in 2 years.
    I know what you mean. Its gonna be around $200 (chain reaction prices) for me to upgrade to 1x10 (rear mech, shifter, casette and chain). I`m on a budget so I`ll have to try and save a bit. I think I`ll get a used 9 speed rear mech this time and hopefully get one more season out of my 1x9 and then upgrade for 2016 season. We will see...

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post
    I know what you mean. Its gonna be around $200 (chain reaction prices) for me to upgrade to 1x10 (rear mech, shifter, casette and chain). I`m on a budget so I`ll have to try and save a bit. I think I`ll get a used 9 speed rear mech this time and hopefully get one more season out of my 1x9 and then upgrade for 2016 season. We will see...
    Sounds smart. In fact I bet you can find a lot of 9sp parts on clearance. Much like anything related to 26" now that that perfectly good standard has also been deemed "dead". Works for me, I love getting half price high end parts for my obsolete bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    just my .02, but i was in the same boat with two 9spd hardtails that i wanted to quiet down with a clutch derailleur. I was already using SRAM drivetrains, so i went the Shimano shadow plus derailleur/sram shifter route. This allows you to stay 9 spd but with a 10spd clutch derailleur, the catch is you have to use a SRAM 9 spd shifter with the Shimano 10spd derailleur. there is plenty of info on this set up in this forum. If you choose this option it allows you to convert to 10spd gradually as the parts wear out, the only real downside is that you will have to use a Shimano shifter when you switch to a 10 spd cassette. Hope this helps