Newish to Mountain Biking and Need Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Newish to Mountain Biking and Need Recommendations

Hi MTBR!
    New to the community. I used to do a little trail riding when I lived in Denver and now I live up in the mountains and really want to go all in on mountain biking but not sure where to start. Usually I would just go to a bike shop and ask these questions but we all know its a weird time so Im asking the community!

I think Im looking for a bike that I can use for trail riding but also downhill. I live near a resort that you can take bikes up the lift so definitely want to do some downhill. I had a Santa Cruz Blur before and liked it but I wasn't do anything crazy but I sold it.

I'm 36, 6 ft 170 pounds. Looking for recommendations on bikes! What should I get?? No set budget but I know Im going to have to spend at least $4k to get something good. Im open to spending more for the right bike! You tell me!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's hard to know where to start with this. In general it sounds you what want is called a trail bike. Those bikes are intended for all around riding, up /down, cross country. If you wanted to do the lift access riding all the time ,that would most likely call for a more down hill dedicated bike. Then you have either a hard tail (front suspension) or full suspension. Then you you how much suspension from around 120mm to around 170mm. Generally the more suspension you have the harder is for bike to climb and they weigh more .Bikes in a price range are very much a like, how you should decide on a bike is by fit ,you should not feel cramped up nor stretched out. Hard to do without riding one. And you don't have to spend $4000,if you bought used ,you could get something really nice for around $3000. The only person who tell you what the right bike for you is you ,saying that you can learn a lot by asking questions.

Out spokin'
    Do some research on Santa Cruz Hightower, Ibis Ripmo (your choice of either carbon fiber or aluminum frame) and Guerrilla Gravity Smash.

Thatíll get you started, but from there youíll go down the rabbit hole. There are a zillion awesome bikes on the market today. Too many to list here. Iím just saying youíre probably (probably) looking for something in the 140mm travel range. This is based on the limited info youíve provided.

Pay attention to bike weight (if thatís important to you) and look carefully at suspension components. You should definitely do some research there, because quality suspension is worthy of investment. (And then have it serviced annually in order to keep it running like new. Thatís expensive and worth it, too.)

SO many options. Good news is that in your price range, itís hard to get a bad bike. Once you actually know what you want, that is.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Banshee Titan
    https://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bike...a-1115193.html
    They're a Canadian brand but I think you have a dealer in Colorado. Since it sounds like you'll be riding at a bike park you'll probably appreciate the extra suspension travel. Otherwise Banshee has shorter travel bikes too.

I just built a Banshee Rune recently and don't think I'll be looking at any other brands. The Titan will be next on my list when I switch to 29er wheel size.

jcd's best friend
    Welcome! I hope you find a bike that's fun for you. Starting out is always the best part of mountain biking.

You can probably consider a higher travel enduro bike such as the Specialized Enduro that could potentially handle downhill bike parks and regular trails. I think a lot of people just rent a DH bike for park days instead of taking out their own bike. That could also be an option for you too. If you opt to go that direction, then you can definitely take a look at some lesser travel trail bikes out there.

I'm not sure if you still live in Colorado but you can check out Yeti Cycles, Guerrilla Gravity and Commencal USA! All three companies have HQs in Colorado.
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Awesome! Thanks for the responses! Im looking at the Santa Cruz Bronson and Yeti SB5 Lunch Ride. Also, what about Alchamy? Heard about them as they are a CO company...anyone know much about them and if one of their options would be good for me?

mtbr member
    A couple of quick thoughts. First Iíd agree with Battery and leave the down hill days for downhill bikes as the abuse is substantial. There are bikes that do both DH and trail ( ie Commencal Meta AM) but unless you know for sure what you want you could end up with a bike thatís a master of none. Try not to get caught up in getting the perfect bike right out of the gate. Itís really hard not to get a great bike these days and youíll just end up with analysis paralysis.

With that, secondly Iíd also consider where you buy as a vitally important part of the equation. Having a good relationship with a shop will pay dividends in service and purchase/maintenance costs down the road. This can be especially important for helping find the bike that best suits your riding style.

As for riding in the high country Iíd recommend looking at some short travel efficiency focused trail bikes (roughly around120mm) at first to get you in the game, and if you are at elevation it will be helpful. Many bikes now can fairly easily have their travel increased later on with an aftermarket linkage as well if desired.

Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Like Battery said, Don't discount GG and the other Colorado brands. They make some good looking bikes and they are local to you. Ibis Ripmo AF is in the 4k price range. Pivot Mach 6 aluminum is as well.

Don't discount the used market, although obviously gotta be careful there. You can get a lot of bike that is a year or two old for $4k.

mtbr member
    I'll chime in as someone who rides 50/50 mix of DH and trail riding.

For me personally I have almost always owned a dedicated DH bike but I think a one bike compromise would be good too, lots of friends do it and I am thinking of going this way myself too. I have a done 1 bike for a little here n there while 'in between' dh bikes.

A 150-170 travel 'enduro' bike is what you want for being good at both, a bit less is fine too as I don't really know what your home trails are like, 27.5 and 29 are both good I have a 29er dh bike and love it.

Nearly every brand makes something along those lines, for good deals I like the looks of the new giant reign and the new gt force 29, and the raaw Madonna.

As for the Jack of all trades master of none comment, they might be the master of enduro racing, and 'good enough' for lighter duty trail riding and dh style riding.

How you set it up makes a difference, especially tires if you slap on 700-900g (I like bontrager xr4) lighter duty tires it will feel nicer to pedal, then a bit skittish down the rough stuff, and if you put on 1100-1400g+ tires (maxxis minion with cush core) with inserts it feels unstoppable going down and feels like you are towing a car pedaling up hill.

You do also have to think about priories, there's the thought you should realistically choose your bike based on what you will actually be riding (ie maybe not get the burliest bike out there if you are only riding bike park 1% of the time). Or you get what you want to make the most of your favourite days (make that 1% the best it could be).

For me the build I have in my head is building an enduro bike as burly as possible, going to suck pedalling but hold me back as little as possible in the bike park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Just wanted to say thanks again for recommendations. I eded up going with a Yeti SB130 LR. Expensive but I was told the resell value on these are a bit better. This way in case I need to change next year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedealguy View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks again for recommendations. I eded up going with a Yeti SB130 LR. Expensive but I was told the resell value on these are a bit better. This way in case I need to change next year.
    Awesome, Have fun and report back!!!

jcd's best friend
    Awesome! Don't forget to share photos!
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I never buy with considerations for resale value. I buy with intention of it being for me and never selling. If i do sell it, fine.that said, i have a Yeti SB140 and love it. Mostly trail. Once a year we go to Whistler and i spent a day in park with it, was great. I dont hit big A Line jumps. Feel it on the braking bumps and really rough stuff, but otherwise fun.