mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Newbie looking for a mountain bike 500-600

Looking for opinions on mountain bikes no more than $500-$600.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you are buying new, I would look at a hardtail in this price range. A Trek 4500 or Specialized Rockhopper would be a good choice. You could also find a decent used hardtail or full-suspension, however stay away from a full-suspension with a MSRP of less than $800. Cheap full-suspensions are typically heavy and have questionable components. There are several threads on this topic in this forum. Find a good LBS and test ride a few hardtails to see what fits you the best. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm pretty green to all of this, but I love my Trek 4500. I purchased on '08 model a couple months ago and try to ride whenever I can. Though I don't have much to compare it to, I think it performs great!

Rod
    mtbr member
    The best thing you can do is go to all of the local bikes shops in your area and rides all of the bikes in your price range. Then just pick the bike that's the most comfortable to ride. There won't be much of a difference in the components in this price range so there's no need to worry about them.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've been doing research and seems like in this price range it's all about what fits you best. test ride a few diff bikes and see what feels good. not going to be much difference in components and it gets you into mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just got back from test riding some bikes at a store near me. I rode a Giant, forgot the model, Cannondale F5, Gary Fisher, and a Specialized Rockhopper with Disc brakes.
    Right away I new I wasn't comfortable on the Gary Fisher, but all the others feel good.
    Any experiences with the rest?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have an 05 Specialized Hardrock. It feels much sturdier than my previous bike. I like it alot but wouldnt mind a lighter biker

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    I just got back from test riding some bikes at a store near me. I rode a Giant, forgot the model, Cannondale F5, Gary Fisher, and a Specialized Rockhopper with Disc brakes.
    Right away I new I wasn't comfortable on the Gary Fisher, but all the others feel good.
    Any experiences with the rest?
    Does the Giant or Cannondale include discs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thats interesting what you said about the Gary fisher. I felt the same way. It just didn't feel right- esp. the shifters- didn't like the positioning. I went in wanting a cannondale F5, but they didn't have any even close to my size (I need an XL / 21in) so they steered me towards a GT avalanche 2.0. Similar bike, I like it a lot so far (but I just bought it today )

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I don't know about anyone else, and I wasn't too sure about it at the time when I bought my Trek, but I really have come to appreciate the lockout feature on my fork (RS Dart3). when on pavement and it's locked, it seems less energy is wasted since it's not bobbing up and down. Of course it's unlocked when off-road.

I'm guessing most bikes in your price range would have this feature, just something to think about. I wish my 4500 had disc brakes, but I've had no problem stopping, even when wet.

"Live to Ride"
    I have a 08' specialized hardrock comp disc for $550(bought it in February)

Im very happy with this bike and it was in my price range.

Here from Niantic,CT
    Jan 2008
    I've had a Rockhopper Comp Disc for just over 4 months and love it. No compolaints at all. I didn't do as much searching around as you did, so i cant help you with the others. Good luck in your search.

mtbr member
    The New '08 Rockhoppers have an M4 aluminum frame instead of A1 (which is in the '07 Rockhoppers and all Hardrocks). This new frame seems a lot lighter. I would definitely make sure to get an 08 instead of 07 if you get a Rockhopper even if you get a better deal on the 07.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sierranevada
    Does the Giant or Cannondale include discs?
    Yes. The Giant and Cannondale both had Disc brakes. I had a Specialized Hardrock that was stolen so I'm in the market for a new bike. I thought I would go with another Specialized but I wanted to try a different bike, and I'm leaning towards the Cannondale F5.

Members who have read this thread: 0