Newb from florida

Printable View

• 05-31-2020
    scrhs13
    Newb from florida
    Hi all,

getting into mountain biking again after several years of very casual bike riding. Just bought this over the weeekend and loving it so far https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/highpointa1.html

Want to swap out the pedals asap, any recommendations? I plan on staying with flats and I have somewhat wide feet for a US size 11.

I don't plan on upgrading anything else for a while, but is there anything on my bike that looks like it would need to get upgraded fairly soon?

Thanks all have a good weekend!
  • 05-31-2020
    scottzg
    Cool! That's an awesome 1st mtb. Well done.

I like the plastic pedals that keep coming out. They're much cheaper, lightweight, easier to maintain, and don't get hung up on rocks. I have race face chesters, and i've put ~2000 miles on them and they've been flawless. There's a generic version that's cheap, but Seth hates them. Diety recently came out with some similar ones that look more appealing to us bigfoots. Burgtech, crank bros, HT, Exotic, and oneup also make composite pedals that look promising. I'm sure there's more.

For upgrades-
    -dropper posts are standard fare on mtbs, but you're missing one cuz cost sensitivity. BrandX was the goto historically for a quality post at a happy pricepoint, but they raised their prices. I don't know the market anymore, but you want one.

-Your gearing should be great for FL riding, based on what i know of FL. If you ever decide to take a MTB vacation you're going to hate that 32/42 low gear. It's expensive/pointless to address this theoretical problem at this time.

-suntour has an excellent suspension trade-in/upgrade program. I wouldn't move on that, but it's nice to be aware of.

Otherwise... it's a solid bike and you should ride it rather than worrying about upgrades. It's tempting to immediately go catalog-surfing (i know!) but it's expensive and ultimately unrewarding.

Have fun!
  • 05-31-2020
    eb1888
    An upgrade down the road is wheels. 23mm is OK and 30mm inner rim width allows you to take advantage of 2.5 tires and lower pressures. More traction from a bigger footprint. Your air fork is good. A sealed cartridge damper doesn't get service. Maybe change the grease on the air side for oil if you're getting stiction.
  • 05-31-2020
    scottzg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    An upgrade down the road is wheels. 23mm is OK and 30mm inner rim width allows you to take advantage of 2.5 tires and lower pressures. More traction from a bigger footprint. Your air fork is good. A sealed cartridge damper doesn't get service. Maybe change the grease on the air side for oil if you're getting stiction.

We've done this a few times... :)

A new set of OK wheels is at least $300. $300 doesn't get OP much beyond a wider rim. Add another >$100 for new rubber, and $X to swap over incidental stuff... we're touching half the value of the bike for fatter tires to ride on soil that drains. There's no assurance that this >$400 investment will transfer to his next bike, or make any objective improvement over his current ride. IMO this is bad advice unless you're secretly a FL transplant and know more about local riding conditions than i. Even then...

23mm is fine, and completely appropriate. OP did himself well.

Maybe he'll want a plus bike for his next ride, but then again there's a reason they're rapidly disappearing.
  • 05-31-2020
    Battery
    For $50, you can grab a set of Race Face Chesters or OneUP Components pedals. Both are great!
  • 06-01-2020
    scrhs13
    Thanks all!

the terrain is generally flat around here but there are some "hilly" areas and bike parks that include mud, roots, rocks etc.

As far as PSI what should I be running. I guess my rims are tubeless but my tires are not? To be quite honest not really sure? lol.

I'm 6ft 210 lb's what psi should i be running with the tire wtb trail boss 20x2.25 that came with the bike?
  • 06-01-2020
    scottzg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scrhs13 View Post
    I'm 6ft 210 lb's what psi should i be running with the tire wtb trail boss 20x2.25 that came with the bike?

26/29. Stick to that religiously for 4 months, then start experimenting.