mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Newb to Clipless - which Shimano - 520 or 505?

I'm going to try to make the switch this year to clipless. I was looking at the Shimano M520 that quite a few people seem to recommend, but I can get a set of the M505s (for really cheap) from a friend that came on his bike. Any opinions on the 505s? I like the idea of cheap (the 505s), but not if they suck.

mtbr member
    If you can get the 505's for REALLY cheap go for it. But understand, they are the bottom of the barrel for clipless pedals. Starter pedals all the way. I had a pair and they would drive me nuts at times. They have a design flaw that doesn't allow them to shed dirt well. When your shoes are dirty it makes them hard to get into and, even more dangerous, hard to get out of. This REALLY makes it hard to fully enjoy riding clipless pedals.

The 520's addressed this design flaw and don't bind up nearly as bad. They are also lower end pedals but they won't give you nearly as many problems as the 505's and you can usually get them for about $45. Eventually you will probably want to move away from these as well and get a pair of Crank Brothers Egg Beaters or a set of XTR pedals but the 520's are a good set of pedals to learn on.

If you go with the 505's get ready for some bumps and bruises. You get the benefits of being clipped in while riding but you also get the added "benefit" of some extra crashes when you can't unclip due to the pedals binding up. You'll still fall down a couple of times even with a better set of pedals but at least you won't have to worry about the irregularities the pedals cause. It might save you from some pain. Sometimes it's better to pay the price to not have to endure the pain and frustration.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I agree with cgreen9761. I had the 505's and had a very difficult time unclipping and replaced them after a couple of rides with the 520's. Definitely night-and-day.

Clipless is definitely the way to go and I would hate for you to get frustrated because of a low-end pedal!

All day long
    I have both and of the two I prefer the 520's.

My primary bike (Haro Mary SS) has a pair of 520's and put put loads of miles on them for the last year in nearly all conditions and not one issue with them.

The 505's are on my 'townie' bike ('94 C'Dale Killer V) and while the right pedal is OK, the left pedal seems to give me fits by not unclipping smoothly. I got them for $10 off eBay from a local seller, so if I chuck, resell, or trade them off its all good to me.

Given the choice you posted, spring for the 520's...good bang for the buck and they won't let you down. The adjustment is also easier on the 520's with their markings and detents (which the 505's lack).

In the end I will most likely move the 520's to the Killer V and maybe get some XT 770's for the Mary SS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Check out the reviews on the 505's. Some of them sound a little scary to me. After reading them I went with 520's for my commuter HT and 540's on my FS. They both work well, but the 540's clear mud & debris better. In fact the only time I could not get them to clip in, the cleat area on my shoe was packed with mud and 1/4" gravel, a quick swipe with a small stick and away I went.

mtbr member
    Don't do it, no matter how good a deal you can get on the 505's - THEY'RE CRAP. They are anchors weight wise, they clog up really easily in mud, the pedal construction is just no where near the 520's. I had 505's when I got my Trance 3+ years ago and finally got a pair of 520's off my bro's new bike because he didn't want to go clipless and the difference was so amazing between them and the 505's I couldn't believe it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasit
    I'm going to try to make the switch this year to clipless. I was looking at the Shimano M520 that quite a few people seem to recommend, but I can get a set of the M505s (for really cheap) from a friend that came on his bike. Any opinions on the 505s? I like the idea of cheap (the 505s), but not if they suck.
    I went clipless this year (just a few months) and let me tell ya, MAKE THE SWITCH! Everything is easier and faster. You will not be upset with your choice.

I went with these pedals

They are Shimano M324's 1 side is a typical platform pedal made of metal and the other side is a clipless pedal. I chose these because I enjoy taking my bike to the post office or just for a short cruise (and can wear my regular shoes). Also if I am just testing it on the road, it makes things easier.

I picked up my shoes on Price Point for $35.00 (+/-). making my entire set up costing about $100.00. Money that has improved my riding 10-fold!
    Sometimes you just gotta get gnarley.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Go with the 520s. They are better pedal than the 505s. They are just like the others posters have stated. Jesse.

MTB Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by cgreen9761
    If you can get the 505's for REALLY cheap go for it. But understand, they are the bottom of the barrel for clipless pedals. Starter pedals all the way. I had a pair and they would drive me nuts at times. They have a design flaw that doesn't allow them to shed dirt well. When your shoes are dirty it makes them hard to get into and, even more dangerous, hard to get out of. This REALLY makes it hard to fully enjoy riding clipless pedals.
    Why wait. Everyone is blowing out their Egg Beater Mallets because Crank Brothers released a new design.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/149...t-C-Pedals.htm

These are dual sided with a platform and clip-in on both sides. In dry condidtions, they work fine with normal shoes. If they're wet though, they're very slick.
    Last edited by willtsmith_nwi; 04-04-2008 at 07:23 AM.

Here from Niantic,CT
    Jan 2008
    +1 for the 324's as well. Did it for the same reaon and have been very satisfied with them. Havent actually used the platfrom side since I got them. Should've done it sooner.

Members who have read this thread: 0