New tires for trail riding (rear tire has been spinning out on climbs)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

New tires for trail riding (rear tire has been spinning out on climbs)

I am relatively new to the sport and bought a specialized hardrock about a year ago. I have only upgraded the saddle and pedals. I am having a difficult time with some uphills recently where my rear wheel spins out. I ride around Dallas, TX and many of the trails get loose soft dirt in the heat. I am guessing some new tires would help me out (although I am sure my form and technique could use a lot of work as well). Any suggestions? Not looking to break the bank; just want some good all around tires. I am not racing or anything; just having fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daintree_parks
    I am relatively new to the sport and bought a specialized hardrock about a year ago. I have only upgraded the saddle and pedals. I am having a difficult time with some uphills recently where my rear wheel spins out. I ride around Dallas, TX and many of the trails get loose soft dirt in the heat. I am guessing some new tires would help me out (although I am sure my form and technique could use a lot of work as well). Any suggestions? Not looking to break the bank; just want some good all around tires. I am not racing or anything; just having fun.

Well, the first thing to check is your tire pressure. It is a free fix. You don't want to be maxed out on the what the tire is rated for. Most tires for mtn biking are good somewhere in the range of 25-35 psi. You really don't want to be higher than that especially if hills are involved. I usually run mine at about 27. But if you have tubes, this might be a bit low. Going tubeless is a great option, but it will cost you a little money. Another free fix would be to figure out your riding style. It sounds like you might be going into a really easy gear and standing up. If you can sit on the climb it helps keep your tires planted. Also take a gear that is a little tougher for you. You might need some work on this technique, but eventually it will get you up the hill faster and easier. Hope this helps
    Last edited by 3fast3furious; 05-20-2011 at 09:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If you've checked all of what 3fast3furious said (he gave some good advise) check out a panaracer fire xc pro. I'm running them on my Fisher Marlin at around 35 psi in hardpack/loose dirt/ loose rock and they really grip well. I frequently ride singletrack that was converted from an old strip mine so there are lots of hills and moguls on the trail and I haven't spun out yet. They have a folding sidewall which allow the tire to dig into the climbs. Here's the link. Jenson has them for 37.50. Maybe just run one in the rear if you're short on cash. Hope this helps

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/T...+Pro+Tire.aspx

Beware searching elsewhere for the Panaracers. There is a knock-off made in Taiwan with a 60 TPI folding bead. The real ones, made in Japan, have a 127 TPI folding bead. I didn't find any authentic Panaracers cheaper than what Jenson had.
    "Sir, you're drunk!" "Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

Members who have read this thread: 0