mtbr member

New question here. New to sport, looking for some accessory advice

Hi guys, great forum here been poking around for hours now.

Im just getting into the sport, i picked up a 2 year old EX7 to start out with as my 'first real bike'. I'll be biking with my g/f whos been doing it for years as well as some family.

while the bike is being tuned up at the shop id like to consider some accessory's for it and would like to hear recommendations while keeping in mind its my first set up and im a total novice.

Id like Bar Ends (i used to ride with them in high school) but im getting a lot of flak about putting them on, is that a no no for trails?

Im going to start off with clip ins right off the bat, any recommendations there?

id also like a computer for the bike, but ive never had a full suspension bike before and shes already calling me a nerd! but the Geek in me would really like to have some 'data' while riding. do you guys use computers on your bikes?

the bike is at a reputable local shop, is there anything else i should be 'aware of' or items i should look into?
    (helmet obviously) or maybe full body armor
    Trek Fuel EX7
    - Riding Allaire and Hartshorne NJ parks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Bag the bar ends. I used to be the biggest fan, but in '98 I got talked into going with a little wider riser bar instead. Bingo. There was a good segment of "Ask Chopper" from "Bike" magazine on that topic a few months ago and he provided some more technical support on this.

Regarding your pedals; I have been riding Time ATACs for over ten years and they are bomber. Great performance in any conditions and they take a beating and work like new for a long time. Plus, there is a fair platform for the times you are not clicked in.

No computer here. Just ride and have fun.

Negative on the body armor - you will get to hot.

Definitely gloves - I like half fingers for the air flow.

Make sure you have all of the tools you will need for the common trail side repairs and the knowledge on how to use them. I also recommend keeping some zip ties and some good wire bread bag tie type of things handy. I also keep some first aid stuff in a plastic bag in my pack with a variety of bandage sizes, a whistle, a lighter and one of those emergency blankets. Oh yeah, and food.

mtbr member
    i would say get a helmet and some form of rehydration, either bottle cages and bottles or a camelbak, i have a computer on my xc bike its kinda neat to see how far youve gone and how fast and stuff if you have extra cash i would pick one up

i 2nd the riser bar instead of the bar ends, i just really dont see their funcitonality unless you are doing endless fireroad climbs or getting out on the road alot

MTBR Member
    Good advice on things to pick up. On the barends though, go without them at first. They really are pretty useless anymore for climbing, but I still use them, even with the riser bar. They just give me somewhere else to put my hands when they start feeling uncomfortable on longer rides. I don't have a long set on there anymore, just some stubbies and they help me out.

Not much to add here...if you still want to go with a cyclocomputer, check out the cateye offerings. They are easy to setup and use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I broke 2 computers, so I gave up on those. But I loved having some data as well. In time I got used to not having a computer. You might want to get a under seat bag for multi-tool, tubes, powerlink, etc.. Some form of water storage is a must. I love Camelback, but Fox has some nice looking packs, too.

Clipless...go for it! Sooner the better, but you also want to be comfortable with your new bike so, your call.

Ditch the bar ends idea. They hook onto trees! I pretty much only see MTB's with those on the road. No idea why...

I also don't like traditional XC helmets. I like the BMX/Skate type helmets. They look much better imo, albeit heavier.

That's a good start.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    bar ends are personal preference, alot of people still use them, mostly the stubby types, one advantage that hasnt been mentioned is they dont hurt as much as landing on the handlebar end (say hello to cracked ribs)
    clipless is a big yes, make sure you get decent shoes, you dont want a floppy sole it will make it harder to unclip. Time ATAC are probably the easiest and pretty bomb proof, dont get the newest high end ones , they have a design like the crank bros that if you smack the bottom it unclips. my favorite is the aluminum version.
    Seat scrotum, mine have allways self destructed, so I just keep my tools in my camelback , along with a spare tube, patch kit, extra deraillier hanger, sram quick links and some zip ties and wet wipes

for a computer I like the planet bike 9.0 its like $20 so you wont cry if it gets lost or broken and it does all the usuall functions + temp

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    why would you not use bar ends? what tech aspect do they even serve?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr6031
    why would you not use bar ends? what tech aspect do they even serve?
    another place to put your hands, better position for climbing

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=RudeSechsVibe]I

Ditch the bar ends idea. They hook onto trees! I pretty much only see MTB's with those on the road. No idea why...

if you cant hook a bar end on a tree while riding you would have hit your bars and crashed anyway, I dont even think you can hook a tree while riding

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by B737
    Hi guys, great forum here been poking around for hours now.

Im just getting into the sport, i picked up a 2 year old EX7 to start out with as my 'first real bike'. I'll be biking with my g/f whos been doing it for years as well as some family.

while the bike is being tuned up at the shop id like to consider some accessory's for it and would like to hear recommendations while keeping in mind its my first set up and im a total novice.

Id like Bar Ends (i used to ride with them in high school) but im getting a lot of flak about putting them on, is that a no no for trails?

Im going to start off with clip ins right off the bat, any recommendations there?

id also like a computer for the bike, but ive never had a full suspension bike before and shes already calling me a nerd! but the Geek in me would really like to have some 'data' while riding. do you guys use computers on your bikes?

the bike is at a reputable local shop, is there anything else i should be 'aware of' or items i should look into?
    (helmet obviously) or maybe full body armor
    Scratch the bar ends IMO.
    Computer is personal preference. I don't have one, but wouldn't mind one either.

The basic requirements:
    multitool
    patch kit
    spare tube
    mini pump or CO2 pump
    decent lube
    biking gloves
    water bottles or camelbak
    Shock pump if the bike has air shocks (likely)

Chances are the G/F has this stuff if she's been riding awhile though.

I'd vote for basic Shimano SPD or crankbros Candy pedals to start on.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    I would definitely go SPD's for your first pedal. They have adjustable tension, so you can back it all the way out to get used to the motion, then put it in as you get more and more comfortable and need more security.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0

if you cant hook a bar end on a tree while riding you would have hit your bars and crashed anyway, I dont even think you can hook a tree while riding
    Maybe not a big tree, but manzanita or madrone can do an amazing job of hooking a bar end and tossing you off the trail....

OP - Welcome to the sport

Accessories--helmet, gloves, riding shoes/clothes, pump, tubes, sunglasses (interchangeable lens are nice so you can choose an appropriate lens for conditions) hydration pack, first aid kit, tools

Haven't missed my bar ends, and they may be giving you flack if you have riser bars, it's a fashion faux pas.

If you start with clipless pedals then just be sure you don't attempt very technical trails before you're comfortable in them.

I've used computers but they get old after a while, and you can usually estimate pretty well what you're doing after having used them for a period.

Reputable shop doesn't always mean a lot, keep your eyes open but don't be paranoid either. Pick up a good book on skills (like Davey Lopes/Lee McCormack's Mastering Mountain Bike Skills) and a good maintenance book (like Zinn's Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance) and learn about riding and maintenance.

Most importantly, enjoy!
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    What a fantastic community! thanks guys. Especially thanks to Bikin for the book tips! i just ordered them from amazon.

I picked the bike up today from the shop, they changed a few parts, adjusted it for my body and weight. I picked up a helmet, ordered shoes from them as well. The bike came with clip in pedals(from the previous owner) so in the mean time the shop put in a set of regular pedals while i wait for my shoes to come in this week.

I will bag the bar ends
    cheap computer seems like a good idea
    I need to stock up on long johns and find pants that are suitable for riding.

thanks again everyone
    Trek Fuel EX7
    - Riding Allaire and Hartshorne NJ parks

local trails rider
    Bar ends: many love them. If you put them on a riser bar, Fashion Police will get you in no time (I don't use them myself)

Helmet that fits
    Gloves: full finger for protection
    Some way to carry water, multitool and supplies for fixing a flat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    [quote=dan0]
    Quote Originally Posted by RudeSechsVibe
    I

I have no idea how you can tell me that which I am intimately familiar with, but thanks anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'd skip on bar ends. But again, this is more personal choice than anything else (IMO).

I'd suggest getting:

-Decent gloves (I prefer full finger)
    -Hydration!! (Camelbaks are great and they have a big range in their pricing. I picked up a Mini Mule that works perfectly. 50ounces lasts me for a several hour ride)
    -Mini-tool
    -Tube repair kit
    -Decent helmet

Again, your gf might have all of these items (and if you aren't riding alone, then just let the other person carry it! haha)

I think computers are also a personal choice. I too love having some data with what I've done. I have the Cateye Strada Wireless. Got it off of Ebay brand new for only $25. Gives me the basic data such as two trip odo's, overal odo, max speed, average speed, and time of day. That's all I need. I don't think cadence is as useful for mountain biking, so you may want to rule those computers out.

Members who have read this thread: 0