New rider with shifting problems- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New rider with shifting problems

I purchased a 2008 Gary Fisher Marlin a couple of months ago. I have taken it out about 4-5 times now. Recently I began to experience a problem when shifting gears. I have noticed the chain would rub and make a lot of noise. Forgive me if I have not learned the names of all the parts in the drive train. Does any one have a link for me that could teach me how to understand the drive train? How to adjust the derailur? Has any one experienced any problems with a Gary Fisher and the chain not shifting properly?

Picture Unrelated
    You have a perfectly normal issue from cables stretching. There's some internet sources that can help you:
    This is a little hard to understand at first, but it will give you a start

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

Skip the parts about H and L limits and B tension, and just move to the indexing adjustment section.

Also, search youtube for video help, I'm sure you can find a video about dérailleur adjustment. My advice is not to touch the H and L limit screws and use the barrel adjusters to change the cable tension. Basically, if you're looking from the back of the bike, you're looking to line up the top dérailleur pulley with the cog you're shifted onto.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Members who have read this thread: 0