New rider, New Bike, New Brakes?1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

New rider, New Bike, New Brakes?1

This is my first post on the forum. I am a larger rider, 6ft 3, 285lbs and love the sport. I recently purchased a 2011 Trek 4300 Disc to get into the sport. The bike is great, It handles everything I've thrown at it on the singletrack. The only gripe I have with the bike is with the brakes. It has promax hornet hydolic discs and I must say they are trash. They are constantly needing the be realigned and make nasty noises with any heat.

I was thinking of upgrading to Hayes Stroker Ace Discs as these are 4 piston brakes they seem extremely heavy duty and have good reviews. Would this be a good option? Also, Are the actualy promax brake discs on the bike ok or should I upgrade those as well?

Thanks

Never trust a fart
    Pretty much anything that is on the market now is better than your Promax hydraulics. And anything you buy comes with new rotors if buying new.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Oh I was not aware. So If I purchase new front and rear brakes each set will come with a new rotor?

Never trust a fart
    Yes. And at your size, I would go with a minimum of a 180mm front. A 160mm rear rotor suffices for most people.

The Hays Stroker 4 pots you mentioned will be a fine selection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the advice. On all the website It says "does not include rotor or adapter". I suppose I could use the current discs with the new brakes and then upgrade in the future?

mtbr member
    most of the brakes that come with entry level bikes suck. I work at a bike shop and every time I build a bike like that, I have a really hard time getting the brakes to work well and not make noises. I am sure it's a lot worse when you're a heavy rider. check the Brake Time forum for more detailed info about brakes. I run Avid BB7 mechanical discs on my bike and I love them.

Never trust a fart
    The website I'm looking at states that it comes with a 160mm rotor and bracket.

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/brakes...r/stroker-ace/

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I guess that is just to post the weight. The discs on the bike now wouldn't hurt anything though correct?

Never trust a fart
    They would work fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0