New rider looking for a new bike.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

New rider looking for a new bike.

Hey there,
    I am trying to get into mountain biking. I've done quite a bit of research, went to local bike shops, test rode and have thought hard about wanting to do this. I know it'll be a good hobby and sport for myself. I am from the south side of Chicago we have some decent trails made up around here to ride, nothing to crazy. I'm looking for a new bike to get into this. I seemed to have steered toward trek they were very nice. I was leaning towards a Stache 7,i test rode a superfly and x cal. I was hoping for more info as far as what to get and what may suite me best for my budget. Around 1500. Open to other brands as well. I want the most bang for my buck. Future proof and may be a strong build as I may fall a bit in starting this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexxed View Post
    Hey there,
    I am trying to get into mountain biking. I've done quite a bit of research, went to local bike shops, test rode and have thought hard about wanting to do this. I know it'll be a good hobby and sport for myself. I am from the south side of Chicago we have some decent trails made up around here to ride, nothing to crazy. I'm looking for a new bike to get into this. I seemed to have steered toward trek they were very nice. I was leaning towards a Stache 7,i test rode a superfly and x cal. I was hoping for more info as far as what to get and what may suite me best for my budget. Around 1500. Open to other brands as well. I want the most bang for my buck. Future proof and may be a strong build as I may fall a bit in starting this.
    I too have recently picked up the hobby and it has been great! It is a perfect blend of fitness and recreation. I didn't go as high as your budget. I bought a Trek Xcal 4, I haven't really rode any "higher end" bikes, but it does its job to satisfy my rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well now that I can actually type on a computer and not a phone. I am just looking to make sure I may not be over-doing what I might be looking for and at the same time not buying something I will have to upgrade in like 3 months. I will probably also be riding such bike on paved roads/gravel not just trails. But I am aware a tire swap can be made to lessen wear and tear out trail ones. I am open minded to any and all suggestions as to what I may be looking for. A hard tail for sure, 29er almost positive. Any other advice anyone may suggest is welcome as well.

Co Springs
    Well now that I can actually type on a computer and not a phone. I am just looking to make sure I may not be over-doing what I might be looking for and at the same time not buying something I will have to upgrade in like 3 months. I will probably also be riding such bike on paved roads/gravel not just trails. But I am aware a tire swap can be made to lessen wear and tear out trail ones. I am open minded to any and all suggestions as to what I may be looking for. A hard tail for sure, 29er almost positive. Any other advice anyone may suggest is welcome as well.
    Well I'm not the one with any magic answers or latest info but if you define or describe the type of riding and surfaces you be on like say, 80/20 or some ratio, your budget and forecasting if you'll stay loyal to a good bike and be more inclined to keep it and build it or upgrade as desired later on versus selling it off in a year or two, I'll bet you can nail it down pretty good and get some great advice from many others.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Well I'm not the one with any magic answers or latest info but if you define or describe the type of riding and surfaces you be on like say, 80/20 or some ratio, your budget and forecasting if you'll stay loyal to a good bike and be more inclined to keep it and build it or upgrade as desired, versus selling it off n a year or two, I'll bet you can nail it down pretty good and get some great advice from many others.
    I would like to shoot for 70 trail 30 paved/gravel, budget is upwards of 1500 can expand or take away as needed(IF needed/worth it). And yes I would stay loyal to it and not be willing to sell it off. I like to hang on to things, I'd upgrade as I seen fit.

mtbr member
    Trek makes a great bike. You won't go wrong with a Stache or Superfly if they fit you well and you like them. Plus they are on sale right now which doesn't hurt so you might even be able to bump it up a level for a little nicer bike for the same money.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    yes try looking at the trek summer sale.

Trek Summer Sale collection - Trek Bicycle

Co Springs
    I would like to shoot for 70 trail 30 paved/gravel, budget is upwards of 1500 can expand or take away as needed(IF needed/worth it). And yes I would stay loyal to it and not be willing to sell it off. I like to hang on to things, I'd upgrade as I seen fit.
    Sounds like you got 98% of it figured out. I'd like to be in your shoes now with all the deals and competition. I spent $400 over 10 years ago and that barely got into the disc brake game. The bike was orig $649 on sale / AL hardtail.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Superfly line has excellent geo, new this year. It now turns quicker and dives into turns while still stable over bumps at speed. I have a carbon version which adds comfort through excellent engineered frame compliance. 20 off a 9.6 would be 2k, an excellent long-term value.
    I think you can get a better deal than $60 off a 6. That's only 4% off the high list. They usually do 5 off when asked. 15-20 would be my goal. But you can get that only talking to a manager or owner and you may have to call a number of stores to get one who will work with you to get the deal done. Cash helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    What are the main differences in per say the Stache 7 and Superfly 6? From a advanced users POV, what is each oriented for and what may or may not be good or bad about either for what I am trying to do? I see the Superfly has a better fork, but the stache has a stonger build, more bomb proof...

Co Springs
    What are the main differences in per say the Stache 7 and Superfly 6? From a advanced users POV, what is each oriented for and what may or may not be good or bad about either for what I am trying to do? I see the Superfly has a better fork, but the stache has a stonger build, more bomb proof...
    Def ride the bikes,,, even in a parking lot, the feel and way the bike responds and fits you can give give you meaningful feedback. I had a Marin f/sus for about a half a day but it just didn't feel right for me. Went to a simpler h/t set up and the bike instantly felt like 'the one'.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Stache is a stable solid riding bike with good capability for handling bumpy terrain. The Superfly has new geo which doesn't have that traditional Trek handling feel. It is quicker but still stable hitting bumps going downhill at speed. More fun.