New with new MTB!(pic)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

New with new MTB!(pic)

So I finally decided to get a mountain bike for my birthday/christmas present and was glad that I did because its pretty fun. I contemplated for a bit and decided that there is no way I can purchase a steel bike, the weight on them is extreme.

Being an avid road cyclist for the past 4 years, starting off on a Steel bike(Univega 88 with downtube shifters baby), an Aluminum LeMond(love this bike the frame is bent in half but it hangs on my wall) and my current road bike a Carbon Motobecane. I was looking around and saw that Titanium was out of my price range so I settled with Aluminum(but was hesitant). Looked around in shops and online and realized that I was gonna go with Motobecane again because the components were better than anything else I could find.

Bought a 2010 Motobecane Fly Pro with SLX/XT mix(doesnt make any different to me right now cause im noob but I figure not to start with crap if I'm going to take it seriously). The SID race fork and the Avid Elixir brakes is kinda what sold me, because those alone were pretty expensive. Long story short I bought the bike for ~$1,100.

I got it and put most of it together but I'm far too ignorant on the disk brakes and fork to assemble it myself so I took it to the local shop who helped.

First ride, was pretty epic. On the road the bike sucks, there is too much drag from the tires and the suspension even locked sucks alot of power. Once I hit the trail I stumbled a bit but got the hang of it. A few sections were super steep with rocks that I had to walk(havent had to walk up a hill in at least 3 years lol). Once I hit the fire roads it was just ezmode.

Here is a pic of my MTB on a trail. I have to learn more cause I'm pretty noobish...

cliffs: bought motobecane for $1,100
    used to road bike alot
    wish i had titanium
    very noob

mtbr rememberer
    welcome fellow noob! I recently took the plunge as well.

where is that pic taken?

AZ
    banned
    Welcome , post more pics when you can . Enjoy .

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny dollar
    welcome fellow noob! I recently took the plunge as well.

where is that pic taken?
    Its near the fireroad of Santa Monica Mountains in Cali.

I need to be more comfortable with the steep uphill terrain with rocks, a group passed me pretty fast going up the rocky section, but I was able to easily catch them on the fireroad.

The bike weighed in at 22 lbs before the bottle cage/pedals surprisingly only 4lbs over my road bike.

here are some pics

mtbr member
    Welcome to the forums... hang around and you'll learn a lot. Nice bike choice, hard to beat what BD has to offer. When you become more comfortable on the rough terrain, take a look at clipless pedals. Should help our your climbing a lot.

You have a lot of seat post showing, make sure that the minimum insertion line is below the top tube weld. If not, look into getting a 400mm seat post so you don't damage your frame or bend something. Have fun and keep posting pictures!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GEARHEAD_ENG
    Welcome to the forums... hang around and you'll learn a lot. Nice bike choice, hard to beat what BD has to offer. When you become more comfortable on the rough terrain, take a look at clipless pedals. Should help our your climbing a lot.

You have a lot of seat post showing, make sure that the minimum insertion line is below the top tube weld. If not, look into getting a 400mm seat post so you don't damage your frame or bend something. Have fun and keep posting pictures!
    ya when I was adjusting the seat height to match my typical seat riding height I did notice I was awfully close to the minium(couple cm's). 400mm seat post, going to actually pick one up, thanks for the tip.

I bought clipless pedals and just waiting for my shoes to come in. I am not sure if I feel comfortable installing them just yet, because at least 10 times I literally fell off the bike and had to put my foot down. I thought I had good bike handling skills but mountain biking is a whole new arena.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OVOleg
    ya when I was adjusting the seat height to match my typical seat riding height I did notice I was awfully close to the minium(couple cm's). 400mm seat post, going to actually pick one up, thanks for the tip.

I bought clipless pedals and just waiting for my shoes to come in. I am not sure if I feel comfortable installing them just yet, because at least 10 times I literally fell off the bike and had to put my foot down. I thought I had good bike handling skills but mountain biking is a whole new arena.
    I use a Sette APX Alloy 400mm seatpost, very light weight and love the two bolt adjuster, much stronger (price isn't bad either).

If you have SPD style pedals, set the tension low so you can clip out easier. Practice your trackstands, will help a lot with your low speed handling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sweet ride,that bike setup is pretty awsome for your first MTB.Having a good quality bike from the start is a major advantage.Have fun.
    "Of all the things I've lost,my mind is what I miss the most." Ozzy

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Welcome aboard and let me just say that that was really a nice initial post. Nice ride, good photos. Many of we east coasters are a bit jealous of Cali's renowned year-round riding conditions!

Enjoy and keep the solid pics coming.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

Members who have read this thread: 0