New to mtn biking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New to mtn biking

I went for my first ride yesterday and did good except on going up hills a or climbing, i seemed to just stop half way up, embarrising i know!! maybe i can get some pointers to what i was doing wrong????
    CHR<WEBB

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Not trying to be a smart a**, but did you try changing gears???

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    yeah i did lol i just didnt make it all the way up
    CHR<WEBB

mtbr member
    Most likely it's your fitness level. Even if you go to the gym or do cardio regularly, unless you do interval type cycle training, which by and large is what mtbing is, your body is just not prepped enough to do what you want it to. Keep at it and you'll be surprised at how fast you get better.
    With that being said, technique is key. Everyone's is different depending on the persons build, training, experience level, tires, bike geometry, as well as terrain. Your mind is your biggest asset so pick a good line and make up your mind to get to the top. Lean forward and ride more forward on the saddle. If the trail allows, I like to get into a higher gear and stand on pedals to get some momentum before the incline. and once I'm going up will sit and if needed, dump gears as my speed slows till I reach the top. Depending on the terrain you might be able to stand and pedal on the incline, but if your rear tire starts to slip, sitting will get you to hook up better. Even when riding flats, try to concentrate on, and get in the habit of, putting power to the wheel throu more of the pedal stroke and not just mashing down on the downstroke for more even traction/less skidding. Work one leg against the other trough out the pedal stroke to maintain better foot to pedal contact, and tire to ground contact.
    Do some hills and then do some more. For biggest fastest gains for interval type training, push hard for 3-10 minutes, cruise for 3-10, and keep each session under an hour to build muscle. Push hard enough that you feel pretty wasted after that hour. On other days mix it up with endurance type training, were you keep it steady at around 60% power for 2+ hours.
    Nutrition is another factor. Be well hydrated and eat a good meal which include carbs and protien around a 4-1 ratio (no need to be anal about the ratio) about an hour before your rides.
    Google lactic threshold training if you wanna win races like Lance did.
    Last edited by theMeat; 04-29-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Lots of factors here that potentially affected your performance in those climbs: the % grade you were tackling, the trail surface (was there loose stuff on it), weather (wet trail surface/hot and humid/etc.), your conditioning on that first ride, and whether you were shifting enough and was that shifting properly-timed in nature including momentum going into the initial stages of the climb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks theMeat, i bealive you answered just what i needed !!
    CHR<WEBB

Members who have read this thread: 0