new member in SF- Mtbr.com
    mtbr rememberer

new member in SF

hello all!

name's james and as you might be able to tell by my handle that I like old time radio. I'm also an avid hiker and camper, longboard skater, and have recently been getting my tacoma truck dirty off the pavement.

I haven't ridden a mountain bike in years, but am getting back into it. a buddy from college started riding a cannondale road bike and after I rode it I wanted to get back into some pedaling action.

I haven't found a bike yet, but I've talked to a guy at mikes bikes in san rafael and ridden a few bikes to get a sense for size and feel.

the two bikes i narrowed down to were a specialized hardrock disc and a cannondale f8. the specialized had better components (according to the rep, as I am a total newb), but I could tell the cannondale was lighter.

I'm looking to get into an entry-level bike for moderate trails, fire roads, urban (SF city and parks), and wherever i go off roading in my truck. I've been searching the net for days for info and found this site and have been reading a lot (I also post on ttora, expedition portal, vwvortex...). Based on what I've gathered, the two bikes i mentioned above seem about right, but any pointers would be accepted. going to be checking out the LBS's near me before I pull the trigger.
    I just wanted to join so I could use your search.

Cheers,

Old man on a bike
    Had to google to appreciate your handle, sounds like a fun show to check out and will...got any episodes to watch out for? Welcome aboard (and to bay area mountain biking). Would that be the Hardrock Disc Pro or Comp?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr rememberer
    any 'yours truly' episode with edmond o'brien is pretty good. there are over 800 episodes spanning two decades.

the hardrock I looked at was a pro model.

I am going to another LBS today to check out some more bikes and year end deals.

AZ
    banned
    Welcome to the board , ride lots of bikes before you take the plunge .

Old man on a bike
    That Pro Disc retails for more than that Cannondale, and does have a slightly better spec and a slightly longer travel fork. You should also look at Giant and Trek, too, which should be easy to do. They're all going to be fairly similar at similar price points, though. Buy the one that fits best and has a good shop nearby to support you is not a bad way to go as a beginner. If Belmont isn't too far for you I'd highly recommend checking out Passion Trail Bikes for everything mountain bike...

There are a few things to consider for bikes at these low price points. The quality of the suspension forks are of very low quality and the performance is minimal. If it has a crank with non-replaceable chainrings that's not so hot (which appears to be the case judging by the picture on the Cannondale site; the Specialized site points out theirs has replaceable rings). There are other issues but the point is that you have to pay for a certain level of performance/quality of component, and often it's best done up front rather than by trying to upgrade particular components...

I always liked Edmond O'Brien, thanks for the suggestion! I'm just down the peninsula in Woodside near some great riding, welcome to PM me for help with your bike, for ride suggestions, etc...
    suum quique

mtbr rememberer
    thanks for the warm welcome!

checked out some more bikes at another shop. tried a mongoose amasa comp, gt avalanche 3.0, gt zaskar, and a gt marathon 29er. the last two i rode just to get a feel of the higher end bikes versus the entry/mid bikes i am aiming for.

i really like the gt avalanche for the price (of course the zaskar and marathon rode sweet, the 29er is like riding on a cloud), they also have a 2.0 going for the same sale price as the 3.0. the mongoose was nice, but the shifters operated with only thumbs and i felt like my wrist was put at an awkward angle, started feeling sore after 15 min of riding.

the rep was awesome, let me ride the bikes all around the neighborhood for as long as i wanted, not just around the parking lot. got a real good feeling about the shop and the rep.

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny dollar
    thanks for the warm welcome!

checked out some more bikes at another shop. tried a mongoose amasa comp, gt avalanche 3.0, gt zaskar, and a gt marathon 29er. the last two i rode just to get a feel of the higher end bikes versus the entry/mid bikes i am aiming for.

i really like the gt avalanche for the price (of course the zaskar and marathon rode sweet, the 29er is like riding on a cloud), they also have a 2.0 going for the same sale price as the 3.0. the mongoose was nice, but the shifters operated with only thumbs and i felt like my wrist was put at an awkward angle, started feeling sore after 15 min of riding.

the rep was awesome, let me ride the bikes all around the neighborhood for as long as i wanted, not just around the parking lot. got a real good feeling about the shop and the rep.
    FWIW a test ride on real trails beat the heck out of riding a bike around a neighborhood, some shops have demos/rentals available for such. There's tons of choices, that's for sure...can be hard to pick just one (or in my case keep just one ). Where do you live?
    suum quique

mtbr rememberer
    i live in the city (upper haight), but i am in san rafael a lot. my parents live in dominican right next to harry a. barbier park, which shares the same hill as china camp.

i was hiking in barbier park and found what looked like an abandoned bike trail complete with jumps, wood plank single track sections, and places that looked like they could have been drop offs. didn't look like a bike had been down in a long time, though.

Old man on a bike
    We don't discuss bike trails online that aren't supposed to be there

My sister used to work at Dominican; used to do a lot more riding up that way when I lived in the city myself, until last year when I moved down the peninsula (now I live near Skeggs/El Corte de Madera, life's rough). Done lots of riding there at China Camp, staying on the legal trails only of course. Been a lot of thorny issues on the pirate trails on the hill around CC, tho, some neighbors there do pay attention and get authorities involved occasionally. Be careful out there...

When I've used a shop in Marin it's mostly been Sunshine over in Fairfax, nice folk and you can even get a Tamarancho pass thru them, try riding there (info here if you scroll down a bit http://www.btcmarin.org/). Couple other nice shops around there, too.
    suum quique

mtbr rememberer
    ah, a pirate trail. got it. won't be mentioned again.
    looked a little extreme for my experience level. I'll stick to the designated trails as I subscribe to the 'tread lightly' philosophy, anyhow.

anyhoo, I got to ride some more bikes before i found one that fit me perfectly, rode great and from a shop that offers a lot of support. on a first name basis with the sales manager.

picked up an 09 GT Avalanche 2.0 in matte clay from Performance Bikes. I'm not one to fuss over color, but the matte finish on these bikes is just awesome, really drool worthy IMO.

now it's time to ride the piss out of it, read up and search mtbr and enjoy my new found hobby.

Cheers

mtbr member
    gt's are good bikes, and a great value. ride the hell out of it! china camp is a good place to ride for getting back into the sport. not too hard, not so easy its boring.

mtbr rememberer

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    ride the hell out of it! china camp is a good place to ride for getting back into the sport. not too hard, not so easy its boring.
    and lookin' forward to it!!! among many others.

Members who have read this thread: 0