New guy with a rack question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New guy with a rack question

Newbie here.

I've been reading here for about a week and all of your conversations helped me alot. I just bought a Specialized Hardrock and I love it. I haven't hit any trails yet though. I tried out a Trek 3700,3900 and 4300 and almost bought a 3900. But when I rode the hardrock it felt like a better fit for me.

But.........I need to know about a rack. I've been looking at the Thule 958 ($140) or the Allen 530RR ($129). Both hitch mount. I'd like to go with the Allen 'cause it's cheaper and holds 3 bikes instead of two, but will it hold my bike? I've heard some talk about it not fitting xc or dh bikes? I could read through the threads but I need to know so I can buy it tomorrow.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Freshly Fujified

Rack fit

Both racks seem to have the same basic design principle. What people are noting regarding fit, is that on some full suspension bikes (regardless of XF, AM, DH, etc) there is no horizontal top tube, and therefore no place to mount the bike on this type of rack. The racks are designed to work on bikes that have some sort of horizontal bar (top tube). The bar (top tube) rests across the arms of the rack, and the top tube is then secured via the straps on the arms of the rack. If you don't have a horizontal top tube on the bike, you'll need something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

I hope this is then issue you're speaking of.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Clyde,

It sounds like either one would work for me but just in case this is a link to my bike.

https://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA...port_Blk_l.jpg

After that my only other concern is the straps on the Allen. They're made from nylon-like back pack straps with a buckle. Do you think those last?

Freshly Fujified

Clarification

Maybe my statement about horizontal top tubes should be revised to "top tube which is straight from head tube to seat tube". This bike will fit on most trunk or hitch racks, but will be at a bit of an angle while being transported. I have a bike with a similar top tube and it fits my Saris Bones rack fine. Because of the hydroformed shape of the top tube on your bike, you need to make sure it will fit into the cradles that are on the arms of the racks you consider. Most racks should be fine. The next thing to consider is the length of the straps. Will they fit around that big top tube? Only one way to find out, and that's to bring the bike with you and test it on the rack you are considering. While the type of strap and construction is something you need to consider, my guess is that you should be fine. If you're concerned about their durability, use a couple of bungie cords in addition to the straps. That should give you peace of mind.

Sorry about the long winded responses and the confusion over the whole "horizontal top tune" issue.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Members who have read this thread: 0