New guy with a couple of questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

New guy with a couple of questions

Hey, I just started mtb about 3 months ago. I currently use a dual suspension bike that was bought for me about 4-5 yrs ago at a Pamida store (similar to WalMart or KMart). I am wondering should I try to go out and get a better quality bike or just stick with this one while I can?

Also I am 6' 4" and about 215. What type of bike would be best for me? (I am college student so I don't have a huge budget)

I4NI
    Welcome
    Depends on your type of riding. If its your daily city commuter, maybe/no?
    If it's your hardcore trail bike, yes!
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    For trail riding I would upgrade, but for commuter use it's up to you. I personally don't like the FS bikes for commuting the suspension doesn't lock out which takes energy away from you when you are riding.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Department store bikes are entry level, and a bike shop bike will make a difference. If your budget is limited. Might want to comb over Craigslist for a bike your size. You can find pretty nice bikes online for $250-$350, if you are patient. You'll need a pretty big frame, make sure you get a bike that fits you. I think you'll be happy with a better quality ride... lots of used bikes out there, don't have to break the bank to get something decent. I'd look for a nice hard tail with a quality fork, like a Marzocchi of Fox..... Good luck & have fun either way. Post back if you spot something you like. Also, talk up the local bike shops, and see if they have any loaner bikes for a trail ride, be a good way to find out what works and what fits.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If its a wallyride FS, it's got to weigh a ton and its crappy suspension too. Keep that for your commuter bike, no one will be interested in stealing. Then start saving some money and start looking around for either a quality used HT on CL or clearance new HTat the LBS for what I'd imagine will be mostly XC riding. Good FS is typically expensive, more maintenance, and reallly not necessary unless you're really bombing rocks, drops, etc.

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP - some people think "not a huge budget" is $1000. I think it's $300ish. What do you think it is?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks everyone! My budget is probably around $300-400. While I do use my bike to commute, I really want something for trail riding. I will check CL and the local bike shop.

One more question: How do I know what is the right size?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Also, what are your thoughts on buying on Ebay?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sizing bikes is one of the hardest parts of buying them. At least you're looking at mountain bikes - it's even worse with road bikes.

The short answer is to try a lot of bikes and buy your favorite. You're already riding something too small, almost definitely. In general, I think people need to ride something too small and too big, as well as some bikes that should be about right, but at your size, there may not be any too big. So try the largest bikes you can find, but be open to the idea that you might belong on a XL, not a XXL, depending on brand and your own preferences. (The inch sizings would be 21" and 23", typically.) Some guys your height ride smaller bikes than that. My back hurts just thinking about it, but you're the one who should be happy.

When you test ride, be sure to put yourself through your paces - ride at an easy pace, ride at higher effort, try sprinting, climbing a hill out of the saddle, maybe riding down some stairs and up a curb - try to get a feel for how well you fit on the bike and how well you move around on it.

College campuses are a bad place to bring a nice bike. Don't get anything flashy, and get the best lock they have. If it's feasible, you might bring your current bike to ride to campus and expose to theft and vandalism, and stick to riding the nice bike for fun.

EDIT: EBay is great for people who know what they're looking for. I think buying online is a crapshoot for someone who doesn't know the geometry numbers that make them happy in a bike frame.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

DynoDon
    Craigslist would be better then E-bay, the bike would be closer to home, so you could see it, try it out, have a friend look at it to, maybe take it to a dealer to have it checked out, haggle with the price. good luck

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone. What are any of your guys' thoughts on a Fiji Adventure 3.0? Also what about a Trek 3700HT with disc brakes? It's a 19.5" frame so I don't know if that is too small.

I haven't made it the LBS yet (in the middle of finals) but looking on the internet it seems that the largest bike that I can find in my price range is a 21". It is likely that anything larger than that will probably be out of my price range?
    Last edited by WildcatGuy5093; 05-06-2011 at 02:14 PM.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Size wont affect price any. Just availability. Not too many ppl 6'4" needing to sell their bikes at the same time your looking for one. BE PATIENT. Looking on CL in more populated ares also helps. You may need to drive a little further than you want.

21" is a good start. At least try it out. If it doesnt fit right at least you can mark it off your checklist. Good luck.
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all of your help. I was wondering what is the measurement of a Large Specialized Hardrock? The guy who owns it doesn't know if it is a 19" or 21" bike. It's a 2006 model bike.

Class Clown
    i doubt it's big enough for you probably a 19"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks. I am looking on Craigslist and found a 2010 Trek 3700 for $300 and a Specialized Hardrock (if it is the right size) for $225. Which one of these bikes would be better for me to get?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would say the specialized hardrock is probably more what you are looking for, the Trek 3xxx series usually aren't recommended for medium/heavy trail riding.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks everyone for the input and advice. I ended up getting a nice deal on a 2011 23" Specialized Hardrock. I have taken out twice this week and cannot believe the difference having a proper fitting mtn bike makes. Besides the confindence factor, I am able to go places at speeds I couldn't even attempt before!! Thanks again for all the help and pictures will be up soon!

Still New
    pics?

mtbr member
    Congrats. Having confidence in your bike will let you become a better rider.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sorry for the delay everyone. Here is my Specialized Hardrock that is AWESOME!!! Thanks again for all of the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New guy with a couple of questions-imag0029.jpg  

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    EBay is great for people who know what they're looking for. I think buying online is a crapshoot for someone who doesn't know the geometry numbers that make them happy in a bike frame.
    Once you find a bike that you like and know the size that you need Ebay is an awesome option in my opinion. If you know what you're looking for there are some really great deals on there. I was gonna buy a 2010 GT Avalanche 1.0 from the LBS but they didn't have the size I needed in stock. I checked Ebay and found a brand new one in the box being sold by a bike shop out of New Jersey. I got a bike that retails around $900 for $450.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

Members who have read this thread: 0