Thread: New guy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New guy.

Hi, so I am new if you couldn’t tell. I have been in other hobbies for a wile (like the username implies) and am looking for a change up. Really wanting to get into mountain biking.

I need a bike recommendation I am open to almost any brand. I've been looking at the Diamondback mission 3 but I am a noob and don’t really know what is out there. I am mostly riding dirt roads (as cross country stuff) and moderate trails (ruff climbs and really rough down hills) but I would like to start riding more. Any downhill I ride I have to ride up first, so I need a good climber. I want to start getting into "free ride" or "all mountain" even though I am in Huntsville, TX and there are no mountains near me. I do like to go down any down hill I can find as fast as I can go and I love stairs. I would also like to try and do bunnyhops to just to see if I can.
    Last edited by hpi savage guy; 03-28-2008 at 01:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Jamis makes really good bikes for the price. They spec them out pretty nice. I don't how much your budget is but i can make some suggestions. Just for info, if you want to get a decent FS for what your talking about than you would be spending over $1000, i know that sounds like a lot but in a FS its definitly worth it. I would suggest the Jamis Parker I. This is their new line of park, slope style bike. It replaces the Dakar XLT from last year which i think was an awesome bike. With the Parker you get 4 inches of rwheel travel thats a pretty standard XC travel. the front fork RS Recon U-Turn. so you can go from 85mm/3 in (climbs) to 130 mm/ 5 in (decents) with a few turns of a dial. The frame is a pretty sturdy since it was built for more progessive riding. You get a triple ring crankset. It retails for $1350, same as the DAKAR XLT from last year. go check out www.jamisbikes.com to check out some more options.

XCfosho15
    HPI Savages are cool.

Rod
    mtbr member
    If you tell us what your budget is we could help more by telling you what bikes we would recommend in that price range. Without knowing your budget chwesley may have wasted his time if you're not willing to drop 1350 on a bike and it would be useless information for you as well.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Oh, sorry. I would like to keep it around a $1000 because I am a full time student but could spend more. I did like looking at the bike so thanks, and I looked at other bikes that the company had.

Ok, I edited my last post. I have been looking at the diamondback bikes just because they would be really easy for me to get. I have been looking a the XSL trail and the mission line of bikes. Are these bikes any good? I think the XSL would closer to my budget. But is it any good and does it have any upgrade potential? Sorry don’t mean to be a bother just have a lot of questions.

In another forum I was in I was a head dude. I could/can answer almost any question about a HPI Savage truck. Ohhh, what it feels like to be a noob again

XCfosho15 do you have a savage? do you want one???
    Last edited by hpi savage guy; 03-28-2008 at 01:55 PM.

XCfosho15
    i don't have a savage (my first hobby-quality RC was a Trinity Blade Brushless that i bought last year... i either want a savage or a revo, but don't have the money for either

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've got a Savage X with lots of upgrades sittin in my garage. Right next to my bike(s).
    Too many cool hobbies, not enough time.

XCfosho15
    very sweet.

this has become an RC forum... sorry folks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thats fine RC guys are cool right! I have 2 savages with so many mods its not funny.

Who all is on RCuniverse or even knows what it is?

Sorry, back on topic

Dirt Deviant
    I dunno, with all this talk about savages, I figured it was mandatory I posted......= )
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

-Fly you fools!-
    Off topic, but seemingly relevant to most of this discussion, I have an HPI RS4 3 SS with the .12 motor that I built up myself and a Traxxas T-Maxx. My HPI still runs like a charm after a few years and actually my T-Maxx has kind of crapped out on me, probably because I beat the s**t out of it, lol, but still disappointed about it!

And I agree with Eclipse, too many cool hobbies, not enough time. But even more so, not enough MONEY!

Oh and as far as bikes go....Since your new, check out some local shops, see who's cool, where you'd be willing to buy, and what brands they carry and stuff, that may help direct you, as being new, you may run into problems and will want to develop a good relationship with a respectable shop. There a tons of choices out there, so just keep researching and test ride as much as you can. Eventually you'll get it. After wanting a bike for two years, I kept looking and researching non-stop and saving and saving, so as I kept looking, my budget grew and grew. Now I have found an awesome deal that I couldn't pass up on one of my dream bikes(SC Nomad). A little more then I wanted to spend, yeah, but I'll be happy with it(once I pay it all off, lol), and it will make me want to ride, and riding is what's important and what it's all about! So again, it can be a VERY hard decision, maybe even a two year one like mine, but keep looking, be open to ideas, test ride as much as you can, and hopefully your decisions goes quicker than mine!

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah, RC are cool but I dont have the money for both so both of the savages got to go. I just got back from the lbs (just looking I though) untill I got this for $899 http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/s...3.php#features was it a good deal?
    Last edited by hpi savage guy; 03-29-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0