• 07-01-2011
    Urbansniper
    5 Attachment(s)
    New forum member & new Trek Gary Fisher Wahoo...
    Hello all, new to this great forum...and after some brief research, picked up a 2011 Wahoo a few weeks ago.

I have been trail riding on some on/off for about 14 years on a 17 inch GT Palomar that was given to me...and thought it's time to get something that fits me better (130 LB @ 5'6"). Due to the easy /intermediate trails I am using the bike for,my budget and my phyicial profile...the 2011 Wahoo is was what i chose.

i am loving it so far...only thing i could have done without is the hydraulic brakes...as i am lazy in the maintenance department. right off the bat i noticed the 15.5 wahoo felt alot more twitchy/responsive than the heavier and bigger GT i came from....i bet when i get used to it, it will help with the tight single track areas with alot of tree roots to navigate through.

Have a few pictures to share from a Critical Mass gathering last week.
  • 07-01-2011
    shadow7874
    Nice, i just picked up a 2012 Wahoo 29er yesterday and im loving it so far too.
  • 07-01-2011
    Urbansniper
    i saw your picture...looks great. at first i was hesitant to even consider a 29...but after riding a bigger bike for all this time, i feel i would have been fine on a 29er...and benifited from it's traits :thumbsup:
  • 07-01-2011
    Kamil
    Nice!
    I have the same one, except 19", and I absolutely love it!
    First thing you absolutely have to do though, is get new pedals. The stock ones are downright dangerous when it comes to rough or wet trails :nono:

One question, do your brakes (especially the front one) rub when you ride the wahoo?
  • 07-01-2011
    shadow7874
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
    Nice!
    I have the same one, except 19", and I absolutely love it!
    First thing you absolutely have to do though, is get new pedals. The stock ones are downright dangerous when it comes to rough or wet trails :nono:

One question, do your brakes (especially the front one) rub when you ride the wahoo?

I dont like my pedals very much so that is something im considering anyways. They feel very small compared to the last bike a rode.
    My brakes have rubbed a bit ive noticed but ive hardly even begun to break the bike in so im hoping after some riding and my free first tune up it may subside a bit?
  • 07-03-2011
    [email protected]
    I had a Wahoo about 3-4 years ago and loved everything about it (although I did/do not know much about bikes); however, I do agree the pedals are horrible. I got some egg beaters and never turned back. I am actually in the market for a new bike because I sold my Wahoo when I moved and I am considering the new Wahoo.
  • 07-06-2011
    Urbansniper
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
    Nice!

i noticed the front wheel does not spin freely. i don't know if this is normal or not, but it doesn't effect riding; so i'm not too worried about it.
  • 07-06-2011
    tshulthise
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbansniper View Post
    i noticed the front wheel does not spin freely. i don't know if this is normal or not, but it doesn't effect riding; so i'm not too worried about it.

If it doesn't spin freely you probably need to adjust the brake caliper position so it doesn't rub the disc. Do a search in the brakes forum to get good directions but most of the time loosening the caliper screws, engaging the brake then tightening the screws while the calipers are engaged works. Sometimes you have to manually move it one way or the other to get it aligned just right.
  • 07-06-2011
    square
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbansniper View Post

it should spin freely, if not you have resistance, thus making you exert more energy to move the bike. loosen the quick release and push down on the handlebars while tightening (don't overtighten)...if it's still rubbing, adjust the brake pads.
  • 07-06-2011
    Kamil
    Quote:

Originally Posted by square View Post
    it should spin freely, if not you have resistance, thus making you exert more energy to move the bike. loosen the quick release and push down on the handlebars while tightening (don't overtighten)...if it's still rubbing, adjust the brake pads.

Before you go adjusting the caliper or the quick release, make sure the brakes don't rub WHILE you're riding. It's taken me a little while but I finally got my brakes NOT to rub WHILE riding with a bunch of adjustments. If you go trying to make the wheel spin freely when OFF the bike, when you get on, it may rub. This was the case with my wahoo.