mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New to biking again.

I'm getting back into biking after 15 years of not doing it and things have changed.

So heres the build up the my question. I'm buying a Kona Kikapu from my roommate who has only ridden it 2 times and has been sitting the garage for years. Now the bike is set for his size. 6'2" and I'm 5'8" the wheels/rims are 29".

To hopefully lower the bike would buying a set of 26's work so that the top tube is not so snuggly againist the family jewels?

Thanks

Sean

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Ah no. That will totally screw with the geometry of the bike. Also, if it uses V-brakes, they won't work anymore. That bike is just too big for you. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Unfortunately it's true, being 5'8" and riding a 29er probably is just not going to work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hello Sean and welcome to the forums. Like you, I too was out of the saddle for twenty years or so. Last time I rode, RS was just coming out with their first suspension fork Recently I decided to go back riding and got me a FS bike. I must say during the several months of research I did, I found it really overwhelming. Good thing tough is that suspension bikes have matured tremendously over those years.

I do not subscribe that at your height, you cant ride a niner. I have seen much smaller people, including women, who uses 29er without a problem. But you will need to get a frame thats appropriate to your size. The Kona that your friend is offering you will simply not fit you, especially with the large disparity in your sizes. And I agree that stripping it of its wheel and changing it to a 26er will mess up its geometry completely and make it harder for you to ride again. And believe me, after all those years, and getting back to the saddle again, I found it at first kinda wierd, like I am just learning to ride all over again (I use to ride competitively with 2 mt bikes and 1 road bike)

IMHO, its imperative now that you get the right sized bike. It will make the learning curve so much easier and more enjoyable for you again. Just my .02 cents. Hope this helps

Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well that sucks.

Thank you for letting me know.

Members who have read this thread: 0