Need to replace a spoke- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need to replace a spoke

I have a 2015 Giant Revel 29er and wanted to know if someone knows the length of the spokes ? I need to replace one ! Thank you for your time !

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    which model Revel? there were a few Revels that year. which wheel and which side of the wheel? your wheelset likely has four different spoke lengths. I can't answer that question even if I had that info, but it's a start.

you might be able to find someone who has done this in the Giant forum. otherwise, take it to a bike shop because they have to measure a spoke on a spoke ruler to get the right size within a margin of 1-2mm.

mtbr member
    It's just a revel 29er , not a 0 , 1 , 2 or 3 model ! Tell me this would it be OK to ride home with a missing spoke on a 36 spoke wheel ? I ride on sidewalks and pathways!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    To paraphrase drunken monks from the 1400's, "get thee to the LBS"

They'll have the spoke ruler to get an accurate measurement, and the spoke will only cost about $1.50 at most. If you want spares, grab a spare spoke for the other lengths. They'll measure them, tell you the lengths, and you spend an extra $1.50 or $3 (probably have at least one spoke length that's the same, maybe 2). Once you get the lengths, you can buy all the spares you want online. However, I find that you end up with a bunch of extra spokes that way because you're making a gamble that you'll end up busting more spokes.

Also, if the wheel is a couple years old, you could be getting close to the fatigue life of the spokes. Bent metal can only be bent so many times before it starts breaking. Once you know the spoke lengths, re-lacing an entire wheel is easy and a worthwhile skill to have. If you're buying a lot, ask for Sapim Race spokes, about $.85 each if you get a wheels worth. Or consider it as an opportunity to upgrade to a nice wheelset.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC51 RIDER View Post
    Tell me this would it be OK to ride home with a missing spoke on a 36 spoke wheel ?
    It's fine. I've ridden on trails with 2-3 spokes broken on a 32H wheel. I wouldn't advise that, but for sidewalk use, it's fine.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"