Need new fork - budget <$300- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Need new fork - budget <$300

Starting to ride with some more hardcore riders and plan to all summer, and my current fork is pretty terrible. I currently have a Dart 1 on my bike, and it's way too pogo'ish. I have very little experience riding, so I haven't tried many different setups, so I'm not sure what to look for, or what the differences are from one to another. I've read a bit on here, but find myself just as confused as before. What should I be looking for in a good fork, and what are some good options out there for <$300? Thanks!

T.W.O
    What bike do you have? You don't want to get a fork that has an excessive amount of travel or more than your bike is designed around.

Let's say you have a bike that has a 100mm travel fork on it, you do not want to get a bike that has 160mm of travel. You want to get it as close to 100mm as you can, if you don't it could mess up that handling and geometry on your bike.

Just going off what fork your coming from, I'd say this wouldn't be a bad option.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...n+Fork+11.aspx

You can also check out your local craigslist to see if you can find a used fox fork, or something higher end.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've been in the same boat, replacing my sr suntour xcr. There are some decent deals on the new Manitou minute experts around. I've heard the EPICON is a good entry 'budget' fork, but won't nessecarily last the longest.

I finially ordered a minute myself. There are some good threads with more info and ideas in the suspension section.

mtbr member
    I picked up a new Pike off Ebay for that recently.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a Forge Sawback 5xx. How can I tell what the travel is on the bike? I'm guessing 100mm, but I could be looking at the wrong thing. Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've got a lightly used Rock Shox Lyric R2C2 i'm willing to part with , pm me if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The forge comes with a 100mm.

The manitou minute numb mentioned would be hard to beat.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm a 200-205lb rider. Will it be sufficient? I can't find anything on rider weight for it.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    e-bay is your friend!

Last year I bought a new OE take-off Rock Shox Recon 351 U-Turn 85mm-135mm adjsutable travel fork with "Popoc" remote lock out control for $32 shipped . Thats was about 40% off the retail price @ the time.

Pick a fork model that suits your needs & do a search on e-bay.

If you play your cards right bidding you can get a good bargain.
    Those that say "hardtails rule" never rode the miles I ride on the trails I ride.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by thaar
    I'm a 200-205lb rider. Will it be sufficient? I can't find anything on rider weight for it.

You can set up a fork for just about any weight rider.

i was in the 300# range when I bought the Recon fork.

200# is not a heavy rider weight.
    Those that say "hardtails rule" never rode the miles I ride on the trails I ride.

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by XCSKIBUM
    Last year I bought a new OE take-off Rock Shox Recon 351 U-Turn 85mm-135mm adjsutable travel fork with "Popoc" remote lock out control for $32 shipped . Thats was about 40% off the retail price @ the time.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you meant $320 not $32.
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

mtbr member
    I've got a brand new 2011 Minute Expert on the classifieds for sale, make me an offer.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=63192&cat=8

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you meant $320 not $32.

$327 to be exact.

I fixed it.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Here are some e-bay forks in the $300 range. I only searched RockShox you can enter any manufacturers name in the search.

The 1st 3 have "Poploc" the 4th is just a LO on the top of the right tube which is perfectly usable, just not as convienient.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RockShox-Recon-S...item1c1862977d

http://cgi.ebay.com/RockShox-Recon-S...item1c1b060043

http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-Rockshox-Re...item2c5b3ee15f

http://cgi.ebay.com/RockShox-Recon-S...item27ba3be27a

And just to show you what a bargain I got on an auction that was not buy it now, here is the same fork I bought except this one has no Poploc remote. It is nearly $200 more than what I paid for a new OE 2010 model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RockShox-Recon-3...item45fa2d2d79

All of these are "buy it now" prices. Be patient & find an bid auction & you can get a lot better deal, but you have to know how to play the bidding game.

mtbr member
    I have a suntour epicon for the money love it my friend has a rs recon and he loves it for the money. I would say recon solo air or suntour epicon I like both but looking back I would go with the Recon.

mtbr member
    I would personally order this fork right now if I had the extra money. They're getting harder to find, and this is a good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-Tora-...4187374&sr=8-1
    I'LL FUNK ANYTHING THAT GROOVES

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Competitive Cyclist has a great deal on a 120mm travel Fox F-32 RL fork. I just bought it for $300 using coupon code STRAV15 for an extra 15% off. The coupon didn't work through the site but i called them and they honored it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanjorunner
    Competitive Cyclist has a great deal on a 120mm travel Fox F-32 RL fork. I just bought it for $300 using coupon code STRAV15 for an extra 15% off. The coupon didn't work through the site but i called them and they honored it.

Dang I wonder If I can cancel my other order still haha....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Numbtoyou
    I've been in the same boat, replacing my sr suntour xcr. There are some decent deals on the new Manitou minute experts around. I've heard the EPICON is a good entry 'budget' fork, but won't necessarily last the longest.

I finally ordered a minute myself. There are some good threads with more info and ideas in the suspension section.
    I just replaced my XCR with a RockShox Recon Silver TK Solo Air. The fork is on sale at Performance Bike for $199.99. I might consider getting another one! lol.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    I'm going to be the jerk on this one...

If you have little experience biking, and have no idea what to look for in a shock, how do you know that the shock you have now is not sufficient for your needs? Invest more time on the bike and worry less about the shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkeyDisco

If you have little experience biking, and have no idea what to look for in a shock, how do you know that the shock you have now is not sufficient for your needs? Invest more time on the bike and worry less about the shock.

having little experience biking can be more than enough to know that a dart 1 may not be suitable. and honetly shocks are not rediculously complicated as far as feature sets go. type ( air, coil) stiffnes, rebound, and dampening. a few hours of reading through HELPFUL threads and articles online is enough to get started.

He stated his dart was too 'pogo stick' for his liking, which while not a technical term, can be understood by anyone, experienced or not and then suitable alternatives within his price range were mentioned.

The OP stated he was starting hit some more technical trails, who are you to say he's 'ready' for a new shock?

The only useless post here is yours, if you don't want to be helpful, then don't reply. I for one have been extremely grateful for the great advice most people on these forums have given since I started riding again.

mtbr member
    having little experience biking can be more than enough to know that a dart 1 may not be suitable. and honetly shocks are not rediculously complicated as far as feature sets go. type ( air, coil) stiffnes, rebound, and dampening. a few hours of reading through HELPFUL threads and articles online is enough to get started.

He stated his dart was too 'pogo stick' for his liking, which while not a technical term, can be understood by anyone, experienced or not and then suitable alternatives within his price range were mentioned.

The OP stated he was starting hit some more technical trails, who are you to say he's 'ready' for a new shock?

The only useless post here is yours, if you don't want to be helpful, then don't reply. I for one have been extremely grateful for the great advice most people on these forums have given since I started riding again.
    Yeah the dart is crap I know what you are saying so if you get a rs reba or a fox 32f 100 you will be happy or even a u turn adjustable fork

mtbr member

I do apologize for grating your sensitive emotions. Reality is not an easy pill to swallow.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    For one thing, the OP needs to get off his A$$ & make a choice If he really wants to score a good deal on a fork.

He already missed out on the Tora W/u-turn & pop lock. Listed a few days ago on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zjenni01
    I would personally order this fork right now if I had the extra money. They're getting harder to find, and this is a good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-Tora-...4187374&sr=8-1

Good deals won't last long.

Get yourself registered on e-bay, watch price point etc, when a hot deal shows itself, jump on it "He who hesitates is lost"..

There are >$500 forks sold on the net all the time as OE new take off for < $300,. but they don't last long.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I do apologize for grating your sensitive emotions. Reality is not an easy pill to swallow.

Haha reality? You have no idea what you are even talking about. What is this supposed 'reality'? Dumb troll who I will be sure to ignore in the future.

mtbr member
    Haha reality? You have no idea what you are even talking about. What is this supposed 'reality'? Dumb troll who I will be sure to ignore in the future.
    Bahahahahahahahaha....you sure do get fired up easily.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006

FYI- Shocks are suspension for the rear and suspension forks are for the front.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XCSKIBUM
    For one thing, the OP needs to get off his A$$ & make a choice If he really wants to score a good deal on a fork.

He already missed out on the Tora W/u-turn & pop lock. Listed a few days ago on this thread.

Good deals won't last long.

Get yourself registered on e-bay, watch price point etc, when a hot deal shows itself, jump on it "He who hesitates is lost"..

There are >$500 forks sold on the net all the time as OE new take off for < $300,. but they don't last long.
    I'm sure he realized that better forks can be had for the same amount of money.

Members who have read this thread: 0