Need help choosing a bike - I narrowed it down to 2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Need help choosing a bike - I narrowed it down to 2

They're both about the same price from my local bike store with similar parts (at least to a novice like me). I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck and want something that can take a beating. I'm mostly planning on dirt trails with no jumps over 1-2 feet.

Which do you think is the better bike and why?

Thanks

Jamis Durango 1.0
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...rango1_rd.html

or
    Cannondale F7
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-9FS7.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    both are nice eventhough I'm not a big fan of RST Gila

There's no app for this.

virtually identical...

the Cdale gets my vote as it has real brakes (Avid BB7) vs entry level ones on the Jamis. the Tektro/Jamis ones might work OK, but the Avid ones definitely will.

Of course, this assumes you have tried both for proper fit.

Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hmmm.
    They both have the same fork......The jamis uses Shimano drivetrain, whereas cannondale uses SRAM, thats the only real difference besides the brakes, but both are mechanical disc.

Id say that either way it will be a nice bike......Test ride both if possible and pick the one that feels better suited to your body.

When i was looking at bikes, i went to the Trek/Fisher dealer and rode both, the fisher geomotry felt really "long" to me, it felt like a semi truck..........The trek felt really short and nimble like a corvette, so i went with the trek.

Hope this helps,
    Jon
    2009 Trek Fuel EX8 Black/White

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The Gila issue will fix itself given enough trail time. In the meantime, ride the pi$$ out of it, but start saving for a different fork if you ride with regularity. At that price point, no bike comes with a fork that is going to be apprecialbly better. Just the way it is.

Although I am, for the most part, fundamentally opposed to 'upgraditis', in this case it may not be so bad. When it's time for the Gila to go (either because it takes a dirt nap or you realize you'd like to ride a fork with better action), look for something like a used Reba for around $150 to $200.

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks for the input - if they're virtually the same, i guess i'll go with the cannondale. that bike shop is closer

i guess im more worried about the frame - i have no problems upgrading other parts if they wear out on me

mtbr member
    I went with a F5. Same basic bike just different parts. I love it. I've had no problems.

Members who have read this thread: 0