need help choosing a bike- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewadz3006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    24

    need help choosing a bike

    So i posted this in the 27.5 forum but maybe its better here..

    So, a buddy of mine sent me down the rabbit hole of bicycles. Lol I'm looking into 27.5 bikes and fat bikes. I'm leaning more towards 27.5
    I've looked into several bikes and am maybe considering building one. Here is a list of the ones I've looked at..

    Trek Roscoe 7, maybe Roscoe 8
    Diamondback Mason 2
    Jamis Komodo expert
    Specialized fuse comp
    And framed Marquette

    The Marquette looks like you get the most bang for your buck but it doesn't have a dropper post, and on the alloy frame the routing for the dropper is outside the frame.

    You can buy the (framed) Marquette carbon frame for 600. So that would be the platform for building my own. But I'm worried I'll have more into that than just buying the carbon version and adding a dropper post.


    In all honesty I think any of these would be fine for me as I'm just getting into it, and they all seem to be decent bikes.

    So I'm asking which of these bikes would you recommend? And how much would I have into the carbon one building it myself?

    I have a local trek dealer and a local specialized dealer so that's a plus for those bikes. And the framed bikes there is one a couple hours away ,but I get near there every so often because I have family near there.

    Sorry for the long winded post but the more I look into these the more unsure of which one I want. Lol

    Thanks again for your help

  2. #2
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,005
    I've built my last 3 bikes and I shop around Pink Bike's Buy/Sell market for "new take off" components which saves me a lot of money. I have a difficult time buying used parts from other people because I don't know any of the hidden problems with the stuff. I actually built my Transition Scout with almost all "new take off" parts I found on Pink Bike. You will need to do a cost analysis to see if it's worth buying a carbon frame and building it up.

    You never mentioned if you are a new rider or experienced. If you are new, I would definitely consider hitting up a bike shop and let them sort you out. You can probably find a Trek Roscoe model in just about any Trek store and some Specialized shops may have the Fuze in stock too. Take them out for a test ride before you keep banging your head over your options.
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewadz3006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    24
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry, yeah I used to ride years ago. Used to ride a older mountain bike, mostly on roads but some off road stuff. This bike would be more for off road. I will ride the Roscoe and fuze hopefully this week, but it's hard to tell if I like them because it's just riding around the parking lot pretty much. A friend of mine has the Mason 2 I could actually ride off road, I plan on doing that as well. I did ride the framed Marquette in carbon this weekend. It seemed like a nice bike. But it had a few extras on it and it would be at the absolute top of my budget ( and then some) and it didn't have a dropper post on it.

  4. #4
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by ewadz3006 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry, yeah I used to ride years ago. Used to ride a older mountain bike, mostly on roads but some off road stuff. This bike would be more for off road. I will ride the Roscoe and fuze hopefully this week, but it's hard to tell if I like them because it's just riding around the parking lot pretty much. A friend of mine has the Mason 2 I could actually ride off road, I plan on doing that as well. I did ride the framed Marquette in carbon this weekend. It seemed like a nice bike. But it had a few extras on it and it would be at the absolute top of my budget ( and then some) and it didn't have a dropper post on it.
    The Mason 1 and 2 are great bikes too! Diamondback has a sale going on right now. Are there any trails close to the shops? If you have to do some urban riding, give that a go on the bike. My Specialized dealer is on the waterfront so I take their bikes out for some urban cycling. I will test ride up and down staircases, along the beachfront, up and down the boardwalk, and on piers. The shop is located at the bottom of a hill so I will demo a bike straight up hills just to see how they feel on a climb.
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewadz3006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    24
    I contacted framed bikes about if I buy a alloy Marquette nx and later wanted to upgrade to the carbon frame could I? They said I couldn't, I'd have to upgrade to one of the carbon builds. Does this make sense? Are all the components different?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewadz3006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    24
    So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a roscoe 8. I like the thoughts of having a dealer I can physically go to if I have any issues. I liked the framed bike but the dealer was quite a ways away, and I didn't warm and fuzzy feelings with them. The specialized is a little more money. The mason 2 is out of stock and I haven't head back yet when it will be in.

    So I'm going to go ride a roscoe this morning Unless I really don't like it ill probly order one. I saw a sold one in the shop yesterday that was sold with a 100$ discount, so I'm going to work them for the same deal.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,744
    While you're there ride a Stache 5. Better fork by a lot and 148 rear hub instead of 141. Talk price with a manager only. For cash I'd offer 1600 plus tax out the door. You can check with different shop managers to find one who'll work with you to get a deal done. Sales guys are required to tell you no discount is possible so don't bother talking price with them. 29+ and short stays is fun and rolls over more.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

  8. #8
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by ewadz3006 View Post
    So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a roscoe 8. I like the thoughts of having a dealer I can physically go to if I have any issues. I liked the framed bike but the dealer was quite a ways away, and I didn't warm and fuzzy feelings with them. The specialized is a little more money. The mason 2 is out of stock and I haven't head back yet when it will be in.

    So I'm going to go ride a roscoe this morning Unless I really don't like it ill probly order one. I saw a sold one in the shop yesterday that was sold with a 100$ discount, so I'm going to work them for the same deal.
    The Roscoe is a great bike! You can also throw the DB Sync'r on your list too. One of the other forum members is trying to get one but DB won't have them restocked until June. The Sync'r is definitely worth the wait! You can probably find a used on located on Pink Bike's Buy/Sell market.
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewadz3006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    24
    yeah, they didn't want to move at all on price. the mason 2 is out of stock , i haven't heard back yet for how long. at full price the roscoe 8 was 200 more than the mason 2. and to me, having a dealer near me is worth something. idk if 200 or not but eh. they did throw in the tubeless install for free and gave me a discount on come accessories. They have free "tune ups" and 2 year warranty. Anywho I didnt get the deal I wanted but I am super stoked about getting my new wheels!

  10. #10
    Wannabe Racer
    Reputation: PinchFlatsAllDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    11
    Seths bike Hacks has a Great video on choosing a beginner bike, but it is mostly about hardtails but you could still get some info about what to get!
    link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K882pvG395w
    Remember The Super Monster T's ? Because I wish I Didn't.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PuddleDuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by ewadz3006 View Post
    yeah, they didn't want to move at all on price. the mason 2 is out of stock , i haven't heard back yet for how long. at full price the roscoe 8 was 200 more than the mason 2. and to me, having a dealer near me is worth something. idk if 200 or not but eh. they did throw in the tubeless install for free and gave me a discount on come accessories. They have free "tune ups" and 2 year warranty. Anywho I didnt get the deal I wanted but I am super stoked about getting my new wheels!
    New bike stoke =

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewadz3006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    24
    need help choosing a bike-image000000_02.jpg

    There she is!

  13. #13
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by ewadz3006 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000_02.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	406.6 KB 
ID:	1251324

    There she is!
    Congrats! Now you can join us on our riding thread! We share our adventures on this thread so make sure you share yours too: https://forums.mtbr.com/riding-passi...ay-988566.html
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AF2NR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by ewadz3006 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000_02.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	406.6 KB 
ID:	1251324

    There she is!
    I just ordered my wife the WSD version of this yesterday. I like your color scheme better but she liked the WSD and it is her bike. Congrats and enjoy!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewadz3006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    24
    What's the wsd version?

  16. #16
    Up In Smoke
    Reputation: Train Wreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by ewadz3006 View Post
    What's the wsd version?
    Women Specific Design

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-27-2017, 07:45 AM
  2. Need help choosing...HELP
    By Mtbfresh in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2014, 10:34 AM
  3. Selling BMX to buy MTB :) I need help choosing a bike
    By Simplejack in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 08:52 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 10:01 PM
  5. Need help choosing a crankset for my new build... help
    By gkrolikowski in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-24-2006, 12:27 PM

Members who have read this thread: 66

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.