Need help with changing tyre... Not average tyre change thread- Mtbr.com
    BrassBalled DropbarNinja

Need help with changing tyre... Not average tyre change thread

Hey guys i just bought a bike off from someone and it had road tyres on it... I tried removing the tyres from the wheels but the sidewalls are so hard!!! I broke one tyre lever already... need help...

Jun 2006
    Try some metal tire levers. It sounds like you are just using plastic, metal will be more durable. Or if you don't want to keep the tires, you could probably just cut them off somehow, but I wouldn't do that.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    those tyres are so new they could sell for near retail... So cutting is a nono... anyways, i just got them out with my Sette Torx levers, those things are pretty strong... anwyays, i had trouble putting the new tyre in... I think it could be the rims and not the tyres... Right now using WTB Velociraptors... What do you guys think the problem is? I know i wouldnt want a flat tyre in the middle of the woods... lol

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Road tyres and vintage tyres generally require quality metal levers as the plastic ones just snap in half or bend to the point of being useless.

If the tires are made to be puncture resistant (ie kevlar) the sidewalls will probaly be rigid as hell and make removal and installation that much more difficult since they don't flex.

It's one of those things that require practice and a common installation problem is having the inner tube too full which makes stretching the new tyre nearly impossible...using a little talc inside the tyre prirt to installing the tube eases installation and reduces the potential for pinch flats as it lets the tube slide a little and not adhere to the tyre / rim tape.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    One of the things which makes a big difference in successfully removing and putting on tires is to make sure that the bead is pushed into the center of the rim. I.e. when removing a tire, push one of the beads away from the edge of the rim, into the center channel. If the entire bead is in the center channel, this gives you enough slack to remove a portion of the bead. Once a bit of it is off, the rest quickly follows. And, once one of the beads is off, you can follow the same procedure for the other side.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    yeah thanx for the tips... unfortunately i've fixed it before i saw your posts... hahaha... Trial and error fixing a tyre in 1 hour... Nononononoononon... lol

Members who have read this thread: 0