Need Advice! Used full suspension vs new front suspension- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Need Advice! Used full suspension vs new front suspension

Hey All,
    I'm a noob and I need to buy my 12 year old a bike for a week long expedition he will be going on. A mountain biking camping trip. I need advice on whether I should buy him a new lower end front suspension bike like this Specialized Men's Pitch for $450:
    Specialized Men's Pitch 27.5 - www.hazardscyclesport.com

Or get him a used bike on Craigslist from early 2000s that has dual suspension for the same price? I'm a bit worried about buying a lemon since I have never owned a bike with shocks. How should I inspect to make sure seals are good or what have you? Is a newer cheaper bike better? Less riskier I suppose but dual shocks are much better right? Here are the used one's I'm considering. thank you!!!

Full Suspension Gary Fischer Y Frame Mountain Bike
    - $275

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/...288643096.html

Full Suspension, Mt. Bike-Santa Cruz, Super Light, tall - $449

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/...307679646.html

2003 Specialized Big Hit Comp - DH Mountain Bike - $460

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/...249088119.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I wouldn't get an older fs bike. Things have changed so much since then..and you just don't know what you'll get. Not worth it. Your son doesn't need that much bike anyway. Get something like the pitch or look for a newer used hardtail in your $500 range..you'd get a better bike that way if you can find one. Check pinkbike, ebay... If you can give his size, me or maybe someone else here can help..and we'll chime in if we see something. Good luck.

mtbr member
    It depends on the trails your son will ride but the new Pitch should do fine.

The Specialized Big Hit is strictly a down hill bike and not designed for typical trail riding.

The other two used bikes would be fine but depends on what condition they are in. Also how much money you would need to sink to replace worn parts to make in dependable for his trip. Nothing would ruin his trip like his bike breaking down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fat guy on Fat tires

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks so much for the fast reply! This rings true with my common sense detector but I needed to hear it from someone who knew what they where talking about! Really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    My son is about 5'3". Can you suggest a new front suspension bike near the $500 range that is good for all around trail riding? This is the bike shop near us but it looks like they feature mostly Specialized: Front-Suspension - www.hazardscyclesport.com

mtbr member
    I think the pitch is your best bet. i would also recommend against buying a used full suspension bike for a variety of reasons. One good thing about the front suspension bikes is you can use a frame bag like this, great for camping

Name:  D45E4DA5-90DE-4EC3-A6F2-B96D31B1E109-7205-0000116C6C466587.jpeg
Views: 197
Size:  31.2 KB
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Out of those bikes, get the new bike. You can choose the size, get a warranty, adjustments and most importantly when first starting out, advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The santa cruz wouldnbe a not bad bike, but youd be better off with hardtail. Used FS just too many potential problems. All the pivots potentially worn out need service. Used you need some knowledge of what looking at, and hardtail is much easier to deal with. Kids tend to be hard on bike without maintenance, again hardtail better to dealnwith

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    ^^^The Santa Cruz would have been my choice, too, except he said his son is 5'3" and that bike looks way too big. Well, that and the potential issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm pretty new to this too, it's been 20 years since I last rode.

What I am finding is that there is much more diversity to the type of trails and the type of bikes that fit those trails/styles.

If this is an organized event I would talk to the organizers.

That being said a decent hard tail, like the pinch would capable of getting through everything but extreme downhill, IMHO

Also, if your son is passionate about what he rides how he feels about this is huge. If he is like me he would want something higher end and used, a project to learn on, even if it means risking a break down or needing to swap out some components

Cycologist
    As said above. I would imagine a hardtail would be fine for the camp.

If the Superlight was a decent price and you could still get the pivot kit for it (SC has a lot of kits on the website but I'm not sure if they still offer the first gen kit, which is what that bike is) and you were comfortable working on bikes, it would be a possibility. I have one I need to sell and would love to get $450 for it but that is a high price for a ~17 year old bike. And as mentioned, that looks to be a large, my medium has a straight top tube.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.