mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Need advice trek 4500 or 6000

UPDATE Number 2
    Ok guy I just picked the bike up today, and the LBS apologized. The said once the arm came loose, it bassicly stripped it. They gave me a brand new crank, but It's A diffrent crank. It's a Shimano Alivio. I'm glad they fixed it, and replaced it. I'm a little bit worried though, did they give me a cheaper crank set then what comes stock on the Trek 4500? Because if they did I'm going to be pissed. I asked them in the store if it was a better crank and they said for sure. So I'm going to give them the benifit of the doubt, but I would still like to know. But for now I'm going to hit a local trail right now, and test it out. This time I have my tool set. Any help guys on that crank would be awesome.

UPDATE!!!
    Hello everyone, I just wanted to say thanks a lot for the help. I got the trek 4500, and recieved it last friday. That saturday I went up to a easy bike trail, A nice wide flat compact dirt fire road. The first day out the bike failed me. Like an Idiot I didn't carry any tools, I wasn't planning on going for maybe 2 miles, I'm a clydesdale I'm still out of shape. As im going up the Hill the crank arm got really loose, It had really bad side to side play. So I turned around, went down the hill, and went straight to the bike shop. they apologized, and really cranked the screw tight they said, I shouldnt have any more problems.
    1 week later, today actually, I take it out ont he road for the first time since he tightned the screw up, not less then a mile in the same problem, I can feel it getting loose again. So i take it back right away. They asked if i had been riding it hard, I said no... And If i had been, the bike can't last more then 2 rides, of hard riding? they said they will put a new crank on, but im disapointed, i feel like i spent 700 bucks, on junk. Is this a common problem? the biggest jump i have went off is a couple of curbs, going very slow. should I demand a better crank? or call shimmano? this is my first bike, its only a week old, and has less then 3 miles on it. any help guys would be awesome.

Sunday I will picking up my first moutain bike, and i have narrowed it down to a trek 4500.
    I'm 285 pounds, and 6 foot tall. I really liked the feeling of the trek 4500, but i went into my LBS the other day and He said I should go for the trek 6000, that the bike was night, and day from the trek 4500.
    I'm looking for a good starter bike, and set my budget for 600. But if the trek 6000 is really that much better I will save up the extra 250 for it, I really don't want to but if it's really a much superior bike I guess I will.
    If anyone has any good input on the 2 bikes please help me out, I will be buying 1 or the other this weekend. I would really prefer the 4500 but like i said, if the 6000 is really that much better I will go for it.

trek 4500 http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...4_series/4500/

trek 6000 http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...6_series/6000/

I'm just getting into the sport, so I'm not to up on the parts. I live in California, and I plan on hitting the trails on weekends, and comutting to work. any help would be awesome thanks alot.
    Last edited by urbanquest; 01-17-2009 at 02:10 PM.

I'd Rather be Doping
    Aug 2006
    Just starting out, either would be fine. The 6000 has a few better parts, but you probably wouldn't notice much difference. Have you rode both bikes?

I started out on a 4300 and was happy with it for a few years. Just make sure you get the right size frame and are comfortable on the bike.

Probably drunk right now

My 2 cents...

There are several small differences between the two models but the biggest two items are the same: Frame and fork.

The next biggest different is the brakes and the crankset. 6000 gets you some low end Avids disc brakes vs. some decent V-brakes. The 6000 also gets you an outboard bottom bracket vs. an inboard.

There are a few other differences but those are mostly a push.

Is the 6000 worth spending an extra $250 for? Not in my opinion. Sure you get a few extras but those extras aren't work an extra $250 vs. getting your bike and riding the crap out of it.

I would take the approach that Zipp0 suggested. Ride the 4500 for a couple of years, saving you money for a sigificant upgrade of the whole bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the replys. Yeah I have ridden both bikes, and they both feel awesome to ride. Will the V-brakes you mentioned on the 4500 stop me at my size of 285lbs? the biggest fear i really have is breaking the bike with my wieght. I don't plan on doing jumps, just some good trail riding, and commutting on the street.
    Anyways thanks alot for the replys, I'm going to just grab the trek 4500 and beat the hell out of it for a few year. hopefully it lasts that long.

Probably drunk right now

No problem...

Quote Originally Posted by urbanquest
    Thanks for the replys. Yeah I have ridden both bikes, and they both feel awesome to ride. Will the V-brakes you mentioned on the 4500 stop me at my size of 285lbs? the biggest fear i really have is breaking the bike with my wieght. I don't plan on doing jumps, just some good trail riding, and commutting on the street.
    Anyways thanks alot for the replys, I'm going to just grab the trek 4500 and beat the hell out of it for a few year. hopefully it lasts that long.
    Way back in nineteen hundred and ninety-five, we didn't have disc brakes and we still managed to stop okay. You'll stop fine.

At 285, you're a mighty big fella. You're going to break stuff, regardless of which bike you choose. That's the way things are when you're a clydesdale. It's also the way things are when you just start riding. When you combine being big with being new, you should reserve yourself to the fact that you're going to be making your local bike shop sales guy happy over the next year or so.

Have fun, ride hard.

mtbr member
    enjoy! as ken said, the v-brakes will stop you fine. i have old brakes on my 1995 giant and was up to 290 at one time and they stopped me perfectly fine.

good choice with the 4500- i agree with the others that the 6000 isn't worth the exta dough.

be sure to give us an update and post pics when you have them.

later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sunday I will picking up my first moutain bike, and i have narrowed it down to a trek 4500.
    I'm 285 pounds, and 6 foot tall. I really liked the feeling of the trek 4500, but i went into my LBS the other day and He said I should go for the trek 6000, that the bike was night, and day from the trek 4500.
    I'm looking for a good starter bike, and set my budget for 600. But if the trek 6000 is really that much better I will save up the extra 250 for it, I really don't want to but if it's really a much superior bike I guess I will.
    If anyone has any good input on the 2 bikes please help me out, I will be buying 1 or the other this weekend. I would really prefer the 4500 but like i said, if the 6000 is really that much better I will go for it.

trek 4500 http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...4_series/4500/

trek 6000 http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...6_series/6000/

I'm just getting into the sport, so I'm not to up on the parts. I live in California, and I plan on hitting the trails on weekends, and comutting to work. any help would be awesome thanks alot.
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dont get the trek go gary fisher pirrana better fork better brakes hydrolik just tryin to help

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by N.M rocks foo
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dont get the trek go gary fisher pirrana better fork better brakes hydrolik just tryin to help

I see your ESL classes are paying off....

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    It's also almost $200 more than the 6000 which was already really out of the OP's budget.

Probably drunk right now

Don't eat your own boogers...

"Just tryin to help"

If the Fisher doesn't fit the OP right, then he's spent a lot of money for a poor fitting bike with great components.

If the Trek fits him better, then the Trek is the right bike for him.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for all the post I ent ahead and bought the trek 4500 as my first mountain bike. I will be reciving it on friday, they didn't have the color I wanted. I was in the bike shop for over an hour debating weather or not to just get the 6000. I took both for a ride down the street. I really couldn't tell a diffrence in the ride or shifting. So i got the cheapr 4500.
    I hope I made the right choice for my wieght. All they had was the dust white color, which i thought looked lame, so i got the Black/Silver, 19.5 inch. Thanks again for all the help.

Probably drunk right now

Awesome!

Thanks for all the post I ent ahead and bought the trek 4500 as my first mountain bike. I will be reciving it on friday, they didn't have the color I wanted. I was in the bike shop for over an hour debating weather or not to just get the 6000. I took both for a ride down the street. I really couldn't tell a diffrence in the ride or shifting. So i got the cheapr 4500.
    I hope I made the right choice for my wieght. All they had was the dust white color, which i thought looked lame, so i got the Black/Silver, 19.5 inch. Thanks again for all the help.

Congratulations. Ride the hell out of it and have fun while you're doing that.

mtbr member
    i think you made a good decision! congrats! be sure to post some pics when you have a chance. enjoy!!

Braaaapp!
    Congrates on the purchase.

Way back in 2001 I kicked around almost the same decision, 4900 vs 6500 (or 6700, I can't recall for sure). I went with the 4900 to get me by until I could afford something better (poor college student/mechanic). 8 years later and I'm still riding the 4900, among other bikes. I probably get it out about once a week, and that will be increasing as the old lady has taken an interest in bicycling and I think I'll be doing a lot of urban and multi-use path riding. Not my favorite, but it gets us out there together, and it's about perfect for the 4900.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    i think you made a good decision! congrats! be sure to post some pics when you have a chance. enjoy!!
    I totally agree. CONGRATS! I debated between a GF Marlin and the Trek. I went with Trek simply because I like the looks of the frame better and I like Trek as company. The bike just kind of sold itself to me. I saw it, loved the color, had to have it. I got the Trek 4300 disc and LOVE IT!

I'm only 5'-6 and about 190 so I know what you mean. That's not big. My fishing buddy is about 280 and 6ft but he could ride a bike easy. I say start off on paved bike paths first to get used to the bike and just to get a level of fitness up. Work your way up to it. You'll enjoy it better and the guilt and shame of being winded every 100yards won't be as bad! (haha) I know I would ride 100 yards, take a break to catch my breath. This is on some very rough and lots of up and down single track cross crountry trails though. Road biking is much easier for endurance. Off road single track is like weight lifting with heavy weights. Intense and short bursts of effort.

You'll get in shape and loose some pounds quick once you get into it. It's an addictive sport. You'll feel comfortable on the bike and you'll feel at home on it in only a few rides.

Enjoy it, ride it, (not too hard, no sense in breaking it, it's new), and enjoy the sport.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I rode the 6000 and liked it. Is the 4500 a heavier bike? Either is a good choice, how much riding and what's your budget.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    gave a little update on my purchase

mtbr member
    gave a little update on my purchase
    that blows how you had those issues on your first couple rides. obviously, a crank shouldn't get loose that easily. it's just unfortunate that's happening. you didn't spend your money on a piece of junk- it's really just bad luck.

sounds like the lbs is doing what they should so that's good. if it happens again, then hopefully you can have some different options with the lbs- maybe have them give you a loaner of another bike and take it out to see if the same thing happens.

as you've learned, it is always important to bring at least the most basic tools with you on any ride- even if it's just to get you going again for the last stretch.

good luck amd keep us updated. please don't let this discourage you about trek or shimano.
    ez
    Last edited by Eric Z; 01-17-2009 at 06:22 AM.

mtbr member
    I could be wrong but it sounds like the mechanic didn't quite assemble that correctly. One thing I've learned in my research on bikes is the bike is only as good as the mechanic built it. Not everyone is a bike mechanic. Years of experience goes into building a bike that will perform and last properly. Just like a car mechanic I guess.

It could be a factory defect in the part but I think the mechanic would have noticed it. I'd hope so anyway.

I've not had any problems at all with mine and it's got over 20 miles on it so far. That's not a lot but I just got mine around Thanksgiving and I've only hit the trails 3 times now. It still shifts great.

You should tell the mechanic how you are using it in great detail and maybe he can point out some things that might cause the crank to come loose.

One thing I've learned is not to shift the gears when cranking hard. It puts a lot of torque on the chain and crank as well as the rest of the drive train. Allow a little slack or less chain tension when shifting instead of cranking full bore and clicking into a higher gear. That's bad for the drivetrain and could work the crank loose.

Braaaapp!
    Sorry for the bad luck. Hopefully they will take care of you. It may have been installed improperly at first, and when it came loose the arm could have been damaged so that now the taper doesn't fit correctly and it will never hold tight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    update number 2 at top of the page

mtbr member
    UPDATE Number 2
    Ok guy I just picked the bike up today, and the LBS apologized. The said once the arm came loose, it bassicly stripped it. They gave me a brand new crank, but It's A diffrent crank. It's a Shimano Alivio. I'm glad they fixed it, and replaced it. I'm a little bit worried though, did they give me a cheaper crank set then what comes stock on the Trek 4500? Because if they did I'm going to be pissed. I asked them in the store if it was a better crank and they said for sure. So I'm going to give them the benifit of the doubt, but I would still like to know. But for now I'm going to hit a local trail right now, and test it out. This time I have my tool set. Any help guys on that crank would be awesome.

i see. glad they think it's figured out. per treks site, the crank that came with your bike is the shimano m341. i do not know if the alivio is a step up from that. i can't find the m341 on shimano's site at all.

sounds like they gave you both cranks, right? not just one. just want to be sure. in your post you say they gave you a brand new crank and then you say crank set.

someone else should be able to tell you the hierarchy of shimano's components.

let us know if anymore issues arise.

mtbr member
    ah, m341 is shimano's acera line. i think that is the bottom of the barrel shimano so alivio is a step up.

mtbr member
    i see, it goes altus, acera, alivio, deore, etc. so, technically it's a better crank- not sure how much better, but good for peace of mind that they didn't give you some crappy leftover. okay, that's it from me

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    sorry i wasnt a bit more clear.. Ya they replaced the whole crankset. so awesome, its a little upgrade. I went trail riding today, bassicly its first real day out, and it did great. I tried to take it through some really bumpy, and rocky areas to test it out. The bike did great. I must admit this is my first time down a trail system, and where I went theres some very steep parts. I was having fun, It was both fun, and scarry at the same time. I shouted out OoooH SSShhhtttt and WOOOO a few times lol. thanks again guys for all the help. You guys really helped me out in deciding on a good bike, and helping me with problems, again thanks a bunch.

Members who have read this thread: 0