mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Need Advice on Tires

Right now I am currently running Kenda Small block eights on my 29er.. I'm sick and tired of having to pull small thorns out of my tires resulting in flats. I ride a lot of hard pack . It seems I cant avoid getting a flat every time I ride.. I need a good recommendation on a durable tire with a thick wall I guess... should I go tubeless ? I'm so new to mountain biking, its not even funny !!! Thanks in advance !

mtbr member
    If you ride in an area with a lot of thorns, going tubeless would help.

Fat-tired Roadie
    No feedback from me on tubeless, I haven't tried it.

However, a lot of MTB tires don't have puncture protection. They rely on the thickness of the tire, and being ridden someplace that doesn't have broken glass and wires from radial tires around. That's fine for a lot of us, but clearly it's not working for you. So take a look at tires that advertise some puncture protection. IME, having it vs. not having it (on road tires) makes a big difference, but I don't see a ton of difference in performance from brand to brand.

There's a Kenda SB8 with puncture protection available, though the ad copy says it's to prevent pinch flats, as opposed to punctures from other objects like what's messing with your rides.

On the road, I'm fond of Continental tires. Some of their models have puncture protection. I think they're marked as ProTection.

And I'd be a crappy fanboy if I didn't shout out Schwalbe. Their tread protection is called "High Density Guard" or "Double Defense." (I don't pay retail for these.)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Pretty thorny where I ride too. Been using slime tubes for years now, rarely have to deal with flats.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How about fitting Kevlar anti puncture tyre shields? Like Mr Tuffy tyre liners, Spin Skins or Panaracers.

Good for thorns and sharp rocks but they wont always stop snake bites ... pinch flats.

Warren.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Going tubeless will help reduce flats significantly.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    +1 to going tubeless. I avoided it for years after a bad experience with early UST. Convert, use Stan's, and forget both thorns and crazy-heavy puncture resistant tires, tubes, shields, and all of that.

Going tubeless -is- a learning experience but well worth it. I just had my first flat in a year, and it's only because I chunked into a square-edged rock with way too low pressure, denting the rim...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    If you ride in an area with a lot of thorns, going tubeless would help.
    Couldn't agree more. I switched to tubeless about 6 months ago and I haven't had a flat since then...
    Last edited by Max24; 03-07-2015 at 10:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Tubeless, you won't regret it.

I've intentionally ridden over blackberry branches to see if it would flat--nope. Tubeless ready wheels and UST/TLR tires make the conversion literally as easy as pumping up a tubed tire, but if your budget doesn't allow you can convert with standard rims and tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alias530 View Post
    tubeless ready wheels and ust/tlr tires make the conversion literally as easy as pumping up a tubed tire,
    ymmv!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    ymmv!
    Yeah that goes without saying. I've only used Stan's wheels and two types of Bontrager wheels with a Bontrager tire and two types of Conti tires. But in my limited experience, all aired up with a cheap floor pump. I didn't even use sealant until the bead was snapped in.