Need advice on Hydration system vs. water bottle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Need advice on Hydration system vs. water bottle

What's the max distance/time you'll ride without a Camelpak? I carry a 70oz knockoff brand pack that holds my tube, pump, Cliff Bars and my multitool. I'm doing another 2 man 9 mile lap, 6 hr race next week and was thinking of dumping the pack and rolling with 2 bottles. Wise decision?

mtbr member
    At that distance, I'd say it's personal preference. 2 bottles should last you 9 miles. I prefer to use a hydro pack, since I tend to drink from it more easily and frequently, but a majority of racers, that I know, prefer bottles.... 2 You could try both, on alternating laps, and see what you like better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    At that distance, I'd say it's personal preference. 2 bottles should last you 9 miles. I prefer to use a hydro pack, since I tend to drink from it more easily and frequently, but a majority of racers, that I know, prefer bottles.... 2 You could try both, on alternating laps, and see what you like better.
    I did 2 laps a few weeks ago and on my 2nd lap, my lower back was killing me 3/4 of way in. I don't know if it was my posture or the weight of the pack? I think I may go with the 2 bottles..

JRA
    For me, its not just the time and distance, but I also consider the temperature and the terrain. If its nine miles of flat and flowey, Id probably take only one bottle. If its steep, technical and/or 95 degrees, it would be Camelbak for sure.

I also consider how far the ride takes me from the trail head. The Camelbak would provide room for extra tools and supplies that could assist in preventing a long walk back to the car.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus1082 View Post
    I did 2 laps a few weeks ago and on my 2nd lap, my lower back was killing me 3/4 of way in. I don't know if it was my posture or the weight of the pack? I think I may go with the 2 bottles..
    Posture drives lower back pain. If the pain was caused by the pack it would more likely be in the shoulders/neck due to the weight bearing in the straps. Remember: making adjustments before a race is a recipe for disaster. If you try to fix your low back issue before the race and you end up making it worse, you will pay dearly during the race. Don't make fit adjustments the week before a race, and don't take your bike in for a tune-up without riding it before your race.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would carry the pack. I've had to walk pretty far on more than one occasion because I didnt have the tool I needed when something broke. Maybe there will be a spectator or another rider that could help you, being a race, but personally I wouldn't count on it. Take it and try it, then take it off if you dont like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    anything under 10 miles and i bring 2 bottles, the big gatorade bottles of water. when i go out for longer than that i bring a pack. its just easier not to have to worry about it, i hate backpacks.

Cow Clicker
    20oz of room temp water per hour. If riding further than 6 miles from car, someone in group brings multi-tool. 10 miles or more = full repair pack with water level according to equation above.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If I do a good job at hydrating before a ride/event I actually don't need a ton of water on actual event day (that means consciously drinking as much water as I can handle several days prior) . With that said I hardly ever ride w/o my Camelbak mainly because of all the other gear I carry with me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My used blur carbon made the decision for me, no where to mount a cage. I've only been out three times on the new bike and so far I like the camelbak alot. I tend to drink more out of it than I ever did out of bottles and it's got my multi tool, phone and keys inside and a spare tube and pump strapped on the back.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Unless it's really hot, I would go with the 2 bottles. I use the insulated bottles so I can put ice in there and the ice would last more than long enough for a 9 mile race lap.

As for the back pain, maybe move your saddle forward 1/4" and see if that helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I guess it depends a lot on the heat and the trail. Last time I tried to go single-bottle-only, I ran out halfway through a 50-minute lap on a hot day. Maybe it would be different if I hydrated better before the ride, but I'll just stick to my camelbak.

mtbr member
    Heat and distance. I always carry 2 water bottles, one is a giant magnum water bottle. If it's really hot, then I use a hydration pack. If it's going to take more than 30 minutes to walk back to the trail head for repair parts I also then carry a hydration pack or at least a back pack of some sort to carry stuff.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

Cow Clicker
    Weight equals watts. If you're in a race and only going 9 miles, you should only need one bottle and no tools or accessories. Especially if this is a two man race. If you get a flat or mechanical, you can jog the lap in the time it would take to do the repair. The weight penalty for carrying the excess weight of a pack is too great. If you are trading laps in a six hour race, you should have time to hydrate between laps.

Members who have read this thread: 0