Neck Braces- Mtbr.com

Thread: Neck Braces

mtbr member
    May 2012

Neck Braces

Hi all,

The other day went over the bars and had a pretty nasty face plant. Lucky for me it was a bit wet and I guess all the mud I ate broke my fall. My neck has been pretty sore lately but I really consider myself lucky.

I've been looking into a neck braces for some extra safety. I do mostly AM, XC and endurance riding. My question is: Can you use a neck brace (Leatt) and use a regular helmet (not full faced, similar to a road bike helmet)? If anyone has any experience and would not mind sharing it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Has to be a full face. There is some new enduro style helmets coming out with a much more open face that could work for you.

mtbr member
    Why couldn't you...????

A bike helmet doesn't even go near your neck. A leatt was designed for mx so it works with a full face. I wear a leatt when i ride moto. I don't on my bicycle tho.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina L View Post
    Has to be a full face. There is some new enduro style helmets coming out with a much more open face that could work for you.
    Agreed, it has to be full face. The edges of the helmet press into the shoulders of the brace which is what keeps your neck from bending or crushing too far.

I haven't seen any of the new helmets that were mentioned but if they don't have a full chin bar then they won't work properly with a neck brace and some have claimed that neck braces are actually dangerous when worn without a FF.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    It's not dangerous to wear one with out full face. It is also designed for your neck to not go to far side to side or front to back.

The op needs a neck roll 661 makes them. Keeps your neck stable.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post
    It's not dangerous to wear one with out full face. It is also designed for your neck to not go to far side to side or front to back.

The op needs a neck roll 661 makes them. Keeps your neck stable.

This is second-hand knowledge so take it for what it is but when you wear the neck brace without a FF helmet it creates a pivot point which actually increases the amount your head will move before it hits the ground which, in turn, is more dangerous then not wearing a neck brace at all. I believe that I read that companies are recommending that the braces be taken off when a FF helmet is not being worn to prevent this potential danger.

Neck rolls won't do anything if not worn with the proper helmet. There is no protection offered by neck rolls when worn with (traditional) cycling helmets and it may induce a similar situation as the neck brace which could cause more damage if worn improperly.

Bottom line: if you want to protect your neck, don't mess around. Get the proper equipment and use it in the proper way.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    This is second-hand knowledge so take it for what it is but when you wear the neck brace without a FF helmet it creates a pivot point which actually increases the amount your head will move before it hits the ground which, in turn, is more dangerous then not wearing a neck brace at all. I believe that I read that companies are recommending that the braces be taken off when a FF helmet is not being worn to prevent this potential danger.

Neck rolls won't do anything if not worn with the proper helmet. There is no protection offered by neck rolls when worn with (traditional) cycling helmets and it may induce a similar situation as the neck brace which could cause more damage if worn improperly.

Bottom line: if you want to protect your neck, don't mess around. Get the proper equipment and use it in the proper way.
    ^^^ this, big There's more open face FF like the Urge Archi Enduro that may work just fine, check with them.

I'd fix the riding technique before I run out and get the neck brace though, it'd be much less painful experience.

mtbr member
    I forgot how popular leatts are with the mtb crowd......

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post
    I forgot how popular leatts are with the mtb crowd......

Was that intended to mean something? If it was, it didn't work.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Was that intended to mean something? If it was, it didn't work.
    Lol, I didn't get that one either

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yall have a lot of experience with them...all I'm saying. They are big in the MTV crowd, hence your knowledge you posted.

T.W.O.
    Oh that was sarcasm? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

No Stranger to danger....
    As a few others here have posted, a neck brace is designed to be worn with a full face helmet, its designed so the edges of you full face rest on the neck brace, to keep it in the right place on your neck you need the FF.
    Motor cycle neck braces are designed exactly the same, to be warn with a full face, they are totally useless without the helmet.
    Embrace the hate, i have no idea what your talking about but your not talking much sense..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

mtbr member
    Do NOT use a Leatt without a full face - it would create a pivot point for your head on your cervical vertebrae area in the event of a head impact and that would be way less then ideal.

I use my Leatt anytime I am running my full face helmet - it is a mandatory piece for me whenever the bigger brain bucket is in use.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Do NOT use a Leatt without a full face - it would create a pivot point for your head on your cervical vertebrae area in the event of a head impact and that would be way less then ideal.

I use my Leatt anytime I am running my full face helmet - it is a mandatory piece for me whenever the bigger brain bucket is in use.

Yeah, try telling that to the MX expert here
    Last edited by mimi1885; 10-23-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0