n00b encounter, part 2- Mtbr.com
    Baton Rouge, LA

n00b encounter, part 2

Well, after my harrowing experience with the "snake" yesterday (see other thread) I decided to muster up the courage to go back out today. Yesterday was my first off-road use of clipless pedals and shoes. I really enjoyed the extra power, and noticed a huge difference in my leg muscle endurance.

I had unloaded my bike, put on all my gear and safety equipment in the limestone parking lot. As I was getting ready to mount, a guy rode up, and we briefly chit chatted about trail conditions, etc. I locked in my left cleat, and started to ride off.

For about 6 inches.

I immediately hit a "wall" and the bike wouldn't move and I went down hard on the stone parking lot.....with this guy and now two of his friends looking on. And a few more folks 20 yards away.

Turns out, my chain had become derailed in transit, and when I tried to pedal, it just bound up in the crank, and I could not move....well I could, it was laterally on to my side.

In my brief 6 months of riding, this was probably my hardest crash. So, I guess I had my first clipless crash moment.

And those guys were probably laughing their asses off as soon as I got out of sight. I know I would have been

The plough
    Oh yes, that sucks. Most recent times that I (mercifully) almost fell sideways off my bike while clipped in were related to the chain getting stuck. This is especially "nice" while trying to power uphill. Luckily in these events, the chain did not completely derail, so I could unlock it by doing a quarter backwards pedal before I encountered the ground.

V.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I saw a guy just yesterday bust his ass because he couldn't get uclipped fast enough. The funny part is when I asked him if he wanted a hand. (because he couldn't get himself out of the pedals even while laying on the ground) he just gave me a dirty look and didn't even say, "no thanks" or anything. I understand, the guy must have been uber embarrassed as it was at a junction and there were probably 3 different packs of about 5 riders each there when it actually happened. So there was a pretty big crowd.

mtbr member
    about 3 weeks ago I went riding at a trail system on my totally rigid '94 Trek 830 which is slightly too big for me. also my first time riding clipless on singletrack. the trail was rough, way too rough for that old bike...between it and pedals, I fell about 15 times, but the worst one I was just standing still, clipped in on one side and I fell...the other pedal sliced into my calf and I lost a ton of blood before I got back to the trailhead. i dodged a huge bullet another time when I fell down a hill--my left leg stayed clipped in---the bike flipped over my body as I rolled, still clipped in. that old bike is so heavy, its a wonder my knee didn't snap at some point, not to mention the bike did clear me and not fall on me.

anyway, after that ride, i decided it was time for a new bike so I applied for the Trek credit card and got a new Fisher.

glad you're ok.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i still use platform pedals, ive never tried clipless, went on a group ride last week, one girl coming along was using clipless but she looked a little unsteady, on one of the last downhills she fell, i was a bit ahead of her so i didnt see it, what i did see though was a large gash out of her back, i know clipless have their advantages but im fairing well enough with my platforms

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    i still use platform pedals, ive never tried clipless, went on a group ride last week, one girl coming along was using clipless but she looked a little unsteady, on one of the last downhills she fell, i was a bit ahead of her so i didnt see it, what i did see though was a large gash out of her back, i know clipless have their advantages but im fairing well enough with my platforms
    One of the reasons I made the change to clipless was that I was feeling "loose" on my bike. There were times that I felt I was crashing because I didn't have firm control of my bike, and that being attached to the bike would have changed this.

In your example, I think the girl would have crashed no matter what. The clipless didn't make her unsteady. She was tentative going through the obstacle, and paid for her indecisiveness. IMO of course.

mtbr member
    I never had problems with spds ont the mt. bike. because of prior experience with clipless pedals on my road bike. I did have a bad crash on the road bike, I went down at over 25mph with the bike attached, flipped 3 times and the pedals did not release. the other 2 guys I was racing with just kept going. I made back home with extreme road rash, contusions to rt. should and rt hip. I probably didn't have the pedal set up correctly. I liked it tight so I could pull up really hard. I have since change the setting the full loose. hello.

Now on the trail i unclipp if it gets too technical and I know I will need to put my feet down to pedal or for balance.

I can relate to being embarrassed, not from the being clipped in but for falling on a ravine crossing. there were people on the other side and behind me waiting to drop in. also a small contingent along the side of the crossing walking their bikes. I think that the forks bottomed on the drop in, it only had 1 1/2 inches of travel. next thing I know is the bike is falling over and im going down in front of everybody. I got a bad 3 inch gash on my leg and banged by head and it hurt like hell. Irregardless of my misery I jumped up got on the bike and hauled ass down and up and out of there. it was bleeding and hurting but the embarrasement overcame the pain, it didn't stop unitil i got back to the trail head. I had 3 crashes that day. probably from lousy forks with only 1 1/2" travel and being a noob.

I replaced the forks with 115 mm travel and haven't had a crash this year.
    also I just sold the bike. what next? am or xc xtreme? im also going low end. forget hi end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yesterday was my very first trail ride in clipless pedals. I took a couple of spills, but they were all when I was going slow and lost momentum. Once was going over a (big for me) log about a foot tall. I saw it coming and said "OH S#$T" out loud. I guess that sort cinged it that I wasn't going to make it over easily. I almost made it, but I was leaning a bit to my right I guess and ended up going that direction. As I was starting to fall and realizing that I wasn't coming unclipped, I spotted a smallish tree within reach and grabed it. I thought I was saved, but I was to far gone. All in all though, I liked the clipless. Loved blasting through the streams without worrying if my feet were going to slip off. I guess now its just a matter of getting my confidence up. It was really fantastic when blasting downhill.

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by KevKaos
    Yesterday was my very first trail ride in clipless pedals. I took a couple of spills, but they were all when I was going slow and lost momentum. Once was going over a (big for me) log about a foot tall. I saw it coming and said "OH S#$T" out loud. I guess that sort cinged it that I wasn't going to make it over easily. I almost made it, but I was leaning a bit to my right I guess and ended up going that direction. As I was starting to fall and realizing that I wasn't coming unclipped, I spotted a smallish tree within reach and grabed it. I thought I was saved, but I was to far gone. All in all though, I liked the clipless. Loved blasting through the streams without worrying if my feet were going to slip off. I guess now its just a matter of getting my confidence up. It was really fantastic when blasting downhill.
    Most of my incidents were also when I was going slow and lost momentum. Need to manage my speed better and I'll overcome this problem.

All in all, I am very happy I made the switch. It will take some time to fully realize the benefits of clipless, but the immediate improvements in endurance alone are worth it to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i understand the benefits of your feet not slipping off the pedals, ive done a few technical steep uphills where i lost traction in the real wheel and my foot slipped off, however if i had of been clipless i probably just wouldve fallen over attached to the bike instead of being able to plant my 2 feet on the ground get off get my bike in a better position and start again, i havent crashed on the trail yet and want to keep it that way

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    i understand the benefits of your feet not slipping off the pedals, ive done a few technical steep uphills where i lost traction in the real wheel and my foot slipped off, however if i had of been clipless i probably just wouldve fallen over attached to the bike instead of being able to plant my 2 feet on the ground get off get my bike in a better position and start again, i havent crashed on the trail yet and want to keep it that way
    If you're not bleeding, you're not riding!

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by StompinStu
    If you're not bleeding, you're not riding!
    P.S. I'm stamping a trademark on this

Members who have read this thread: 0