My Schwinn- Mtbr.com

Thread: My Schwinn

mtbr member

My Schwinn

I went to look at bikes the other day. I especially liked a 2009 Trek (4000 something) that was on sale for $369.

I came home and looked up some reviews and comments from this forum. All negative.

Bottom line components, front shock is crap, not worth upgrading, yada, yada, yada.

So, I might just keep my DS Schwinn. So far I have run it pretty hard and it is holding up well. It's heavy, but so was the Trek. It's solid as a rock when riding and I can ride all day with no stiffness, soreness or lower back pain. And, I like the bike.

It has -

RST Omni 190 Front Shock
    Alex X-Rims
    Pro-Max linear brakes
    Sram grip shifters (21 speed)
    Shimano front and rear derailleurs (Tourney on rear)

I added new Bontrager grips and MTB Nano tires.

I've looked online and every component is available and upgradeable.

So, what's wrong with my bike?
    Last edited by ncblue; 12-05-2009 at 03:49 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Nothing .........

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    agreed, there is nothing wrong w/ your bike.

as long as its fits you well, works for the type of riding you do, and you maintain it mechanically.....then it should last for a long time.....

mtbr member
    ^^^^ Yeah, keep it.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

Tool
    Indeed, don't let others' need to have the latest and greatest determine what you buy. Keep riding what you got, if anything needs to be replaced/adjusted/fixed, you'll know, and you'll know what you want out of its replacement. More importantly, you'll know what it's worth to you.

mtbr member
    +4

If it ain't broke, you ride with it, and you enjoy it, then ya, there's nothing wrong with it. I myself ride a Mongoose E303 from Sports Authority and it's holding up fine. It's heavy, 38lbs, parts not really good but it works fine where I ride (tight, twisty, rocky, rooty singletracks). Quite honestly, I can't wait for it to fall apart so I can get an excuse to get a new bike but so far has been disappointed as it's still in 1 piece.

Oh and forgot to add, based on what forum members here have advised me, the more you ride your Schwinn, the more you'll learn what you like and not like with the bike so you'll get a better understanding what you'd be looking for on your next bike.

cougarbait
    well to start, the frame probably weighs a sack of bricks
    if you don't care about performance, however, there isn't anything "wrong" with it
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. Now let's ride.

Religion = Non-thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by fda47
    +4

If it ain't broke, you ride with it, and you enjoy it, then ya, there's nothing wrong with it. I myself ride a Mongoose E303 from Sports Authority and it's holding up fine. It's heavy, 38lbs, parts not really good but it works fine where I ride (tight, twisty, rocky, rooty singletracks). Quite honestly, I can't wait for it to fall apart so I can get an excuse to get a new bike but so far has been disappointed as it's still in 1 piece.

Oh and forgot to add, based on what forum members here have advised me, the more you ride your Schwinn, the more you'll learn what you like and not like with the bike so you'll get a better understanding what you'd be looking for on your next bike.
    don't get hurt now...

wow 38lbs, you'd be surprised how much lighter bikes can feel; such as a 30lb hardrock (8lbs is HUGE,) or a 27lb rockhopper (anyone ever heard of a 11lb bike upgrade?)
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    don't get hurt now...

wow 38lbs, you'd be surprised how much lighter bikes can feel; such as a 30lb hardrock (8lbs is HUGE,) or a 27lb rockhopper (anyone ever heard of a 11lb bike upgrade?)
    ya louisssss i've felt the difference. i sometimes ride my son's Wahoo which I think weighs in at 29 or 30lbs. i hope i don't get hurt trying to get my bike to break

Religion = Non-thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by fda47
    ya louisssss i've felt the difference. i sometimes ride my son's Wahoo which I think weighs in at 29 or 30lbs. i hope i don't get hurt trying to get my bike to break
    what?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Keep it! I had a Schwinn Frontier I bought in 2003 and rode the hell out of it until 2007. Nothing, and I mean nothing broke. And Im 6 foot 1, 240 lbs.

mtbr member
    When I first started riding this year I had a older Schwinn rigid bike, the thing weighted in at 23 pounds it was however rigid, and it was a single speed. There was nothing wrong with it, in fact the frame is still around along with all of the parts and could easily be rebuilt. I just wanted something more. If your bike is how you like it and you dont mind riding it, there is no reason to upgrade unless you have progressed passed what your bike can handle.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    When I first started riding this year I had a older Schwinn rigid bike, the thing weighted in at 23 pounds it was however rigid, and it was a single speed. There was nothing wrong with it, in fact the frame is still around along with all of the parts and could easily be rebuilt. I just wanted something more. If your bike is how you like it and you dont mind riding it, there is no reason to upgrade unless you have progressed passed what your bike can handle.

Quoted for posterity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Quoted for posterity.
    Wow, didn't no it was such a influential post that it needed to be quoted for "posterity".
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    You'll figure it out .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    You'll figure it out .
    That you have a crush on me??? I see no other reason why you would go into a topic that has been dormant for over 24 hours and quote something just because I said it, and you think it significant enough that it matters in some twisted way to you?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    When I first started riding this year I had a older Schwinn rigid bike, the thing weighted in at 23 pounds it was however rigid, and it was a single speed.
    This quote, it is like Christmas come early to the Bad Mechanic household.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    This quote, it is like Christmas come early to the Bad Mechanic household.

Members who have read this thread: 0