My new old cheap mongoose- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

My new old cheap mongoose

Just picked this bike up for $15 dollars at my school auction. Definitely needs a lot of TLC, but I'm happy with it and can't wait to start riding.

Needs: A new chain, new brake and gear lines, new tires, and a good clean (it's been sitting out in the sunny/rainy Florida weather)

Any recommendations for me?, perhaps new parts and such (if I can) I'm also going to strip the entire bike and paint it all white.

LMK what you think!

Ride Responsibly
    Definitely a good "White Bike" candidate.

too cold to ride
    Nice Walgoose- have a similar one myself. Don't put any major upgrades into it- just ride it til it falls apart (which won't be long if you take it offroad). On steady ground, it'll function as a good training bike (the xtra weight and horrifically inefficient suspension system will make you work hard).
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My buddy rode his walmart mongoose for about 3 years. The only thing I know of that messed up was his back rear tire was bent. It served him well till he upgraded to a used hardtail off of CL. I suppose as long as you take care of it and know how to ride, it can last for a while. Then again my cousin broke his the first day on a beginners trail. Just be careful.

mtbr member
    i have a f/s wallgose that i no longer ride on the trails it still works and every thing. i used it on the trails for over 2 yeas with no problems. But i just recently got a new bike and i love that bike more its so light. the mongoose weight in at 40

AZ
    banned
    Walgoose rules , ride it til it dies , dont put any money in it .

Ride the dream
    Unlike certain others here, I'm gonna suggest not riding it offroad - that would be irresponsible.

Those things are dangerous.

There's a bloody good reason they have a sticker saying they're toys and not suitable for offroad use.
    Want to know what it is?
    They're not built for going offroad.

Taking those on anything near an interesting ride is a frame failure waiting to happen (and I wouldnt wish that on anyone).
    Last edited by EnglishT; 11-20-2009 at 12:19 AM.

Wild Man
    Fine for riding in the road but I had a similar bike once and bent the rear axle and ruined the cassette from just riding on fire road! I had a friend who took one on a more demanding trail and the spokes literally started to break. So, yeah, probably a bad idea to try to take a mart bike up a mountain. The mountain usually wins.

mtbr member
    I started off with one of these. The first little hop, not even a jump destroyed the front shock. I could not get the front end up in time to clear the tree root right after the mound. That was a fun Superman over the handle bars, (OTB).

The only reason I am keeping the Walgoose is to use it as a polo bike.

These things look the part but are not safe or durable off road.
    James
    "My mountain bike needs a new motor; the current one is fat and lazy."

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    Don't put too much cash into the bike, but invest in some good Grease and Lube.

Repack the headset & Hubs w/ fresh grease and lube up all of the moving parts.

Replace the items you listed, and you got a smooth running bike!

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by preludedriven
    Yes, albeit one that is ridiculously heavy and inefficient due to pedalbob on the road and downright dangerous (on top of the aforementioned downfalls) off road - ie, a near-useless bike.

It really isnt worth the money to get it running.

To suggest that this is worth doing is, in my mind, irresponsible - pretty much on par with recommending that a guy buys a computer to put in the bathroom, a dangerous waste of money.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishT

To suggest that this is worth doing is, in my mind, irresponsible - pretty much on par with recommending that a guy buys a computer to put in the bathroom, a dangerous waste of money.
    but how will I be able to do any shitter twitters??

oh right , my phone -good call ET!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by preludedriven
    Don't put too much cash into the bike, but invest in some good Grease and Lube.

Repack the headset & Hubs w/ fresh grease and lube up all of the moving parts.

+1

Give it a good once over, check all the bolts and make sure everything is tight. New brake pads are never a bad idea either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

So I listened with a grain a salt, but I really thank everyone for the comments and concerns with everything. Here is how the bike sits now total I put in 65 dollars worth (including cost of the bike) so overall I love it. I've done some critical mass rides and some commutes to work and she seems to be holding decent. I just wanted to let everyone know the update.

Think I'm looking into perhaps something alittle lighter and a bit better quality for some heavier duty rides down the road.

Pretty in Pink
    Well it certainly looks a lot better, as long as you are careful about the terrain you ride it on I say rock it. But if you are going to be commuting on it, wouldn't hurt to have reflectors, or a light.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkBarron
    Well it certainly looks a lot better, as long as you are careful about the terrain you ride it on I say rock it. But if you are going to be commuting on it, wouldn't hurt to have reflectors, or a light.
    Yeah I have a front and rear LED lights that are now on it.

Pretty in Pink
    Cool, enjoy it! But just so you know, you are going to get hooked and want to buy a more capable mt bike soon.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkBarron
    Cool, enjoy it! But just so you know, you are going to get hooked and want to buy a more capable mt bike soon.
    That is the truth already..... lol

Members who have read this thread: 0