My first bike...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My first bike...

Hi everyone!

I wasn't planning on getting such a low end bike but it was $50 dollars on CL and couldn't resist. It should hold me over untill i get a real setup.

My fork is crap, it moves an inch mayyybe! I need to swap it out, i want to change my handle bars and grips and stem and headset. anyone have some non rusted parts for cheap? like some old easton or ritchey risers? i think its 24.5 im not sure im noob at this. I also need a cheap fork, anything is better than this rst omni POS right now.

im at 7 speed right now i want to go 8 speed so i can upgrade the drivetrain to alivio instead of tourney LOL

man this stuff is fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first bike...-2003-raleigh-m20.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Bars, stem, headset, fork, 8 speed cassette or freewheel, 8 speed shifter, and 8 speed derailleur. You might as well buy a new bike. I imagine this is a shorter travel bike and even an 80mm fork would slacken it up too much. My guess is about 63mm or so. I think that is what these ran. Just ride this one and save up for a new bike.

mtbr member
    Last edited by jaynestown; 10-29-2011 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Sarcasm misunderstood

mtbr member
    i really want a different fork

mtbr member
    I applaud you fine sir for saving a crap load of money on your first bike. As the above poster stated, keep in mind that by the time you make this bike what you want, you might be spending alot of money that you could apply to a brand new bike with newer and better technology.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

Just Ride
    Ride it as is and save up for a new bike. I had a wally world special. I rode the hell outta that thing. Surprised I didn't break anything, but yea the fork was garbage on it as well. So I just saved up till I had the scratch for a new ride and now I couldn't be happier!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyHuynh View Post
    i really want a different fork
    I don't see the point in putting that kind of money into this bike...just save up and actually buy a nice bike. Ride this until then and have as much fun as you can on it. The SS idea isn't bad either...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Don't let the comments about not wasting money on upgrades get you down. It can be disheartening when you feel like you made a good purchase and then others shoot it down. I can tell you from experience that their advice is practicle. If you ride that bike as is to develop your skills, once you can afford a better bike you will be well ahead of the curve. If you get to be a decent rider on that bike, a better bike with new technology will be like a Cadillac.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here's my advice....only spend money on some modern pedals (you can get some used SPD's for real cheap) and since its almost the end of the year, the local bike shops are gonna start putting their biking shoes on sale to make room for the new stuff (I bought some $100 shoes for about $45 this way)

Next, go find some climbs that you can't get to the top of because they are either too long or too steep or both. Then start riding those hills, its gonna hurt.....but keep at it.....little by little you'll go higher and higher, eventually you'll be able to ride all of them if you are persistent, it could take several weeks, months even. When you finally ride them, then go back and start timing yourself......if a climb you couldn't even finish is now doable for you in 40 minutes.....now strive to do in 35.....etc.

Afterwards, go to a local trail and when someone goes by on a $5,000 bike, chase them down and make sure you get to the top of the hill before they do......remember when it comes to mountain biking its 95% the engine and only 5% the bike..........

mtbr member
    hahaha, I like and will second osmarandsara's advice, good stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara View Post
    Here's my advice....only spend money on some modern pedals (you can get some used SPD's for real cheap) and since its almost the end of the year, the local bike shops are gonna start putting their biking shoes on sale to make room for the new stuff (I bought some $100 shoes for about $45 this way)

Next, go find some climbs that you can't get to the top of because they are either too long or too steep or both. Then start riding those hills, its gonna hurt.....but keep at it.....little by little you'll go higher and higher, eventually you'll be able to ride all of them if you are persistent, it could take several weeks, months even. When you finally ride them, then go back and start timing yourself......if a climb you couldn't even finish is now doable for you in 40 minutes.....now strive to do in 35.....etc.

Afterwards, go to a local trail and when someone goes by on a $5,000 bike, chase them down and make sure you get to the top of the hill before they do......remember when it comes to mountain biking its 95% the engine and only 5% the bike..........
    sir yes sir! lol sounds like a plan! i rode her pretty hard yesterday and she did not faulter. took her down cobbles too in PQ. She was fine and i didnt eat gravel. =)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first bike...-trails-open.jpg  

Last edited by DannyHuynh; 10-26-2011 at 03:23 PM.

It's all about the FSR!
    Nice find. First modification is to remove the kickstand....then rip it up!!

mtbr member
    Last edited by jaynestown; 10-29-2011 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Sarcasm misunderstood

Picture Unrelated
    Why do you want a new fork? You will put so much money into a new fork that you could just get a new bike. Ride what you have and save for a new bike. New bars, new stems, new forks, new headset (especially the headset) all add up to money that isn't well spent on a bike that you're probably just going to replace anyway. You did really well for what you spent, ride it and save for the next bike.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Some Dude
    That's cool it rode pretty good. Pretty soon, if you keep mountain biking, as your skills develop, you will see how the bike is holding you back. When that happens, I would convert it to an SS and see how you like that, or at least keep it as a buddy bike. If anything, upgrade to clipless pedals (if you go that route) and some lock on grips, then start looking for a better bike. If you go farther, the addiction begins...

mtbr member
    what are lock on grips? are they the best grips?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The M20 is a solid beginner bike, infact it was my first (non toys' r us) mt bike. We got it used from the local bike shop like ten years ago. Honestly, dont upgrade anything on it. It's just not worth it. Regardless of what new components you put on that bike is still going to be pretty heavy. From working retail I know for a fact that building a bike piece by piece is much more expensive unless you work at a bike shop
    When you buy a new bike after you price out all the components you pretty much get the frame for free.

Bottom line, ride the heck out of it untill it breaks

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    what are lock on grips? are they the best grips?
    Lock on grips are actually tightened on to the bike usually by allen wrench as opposed to standard grips that tend to rotate after some use. Lock on grips dont rotate and are just better.

Paste eater
    what others said, ride it like you stole it. Have a blast and then get a new bike when you can... and another and another and another

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaynestown View Post
    Then add the Fox fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My first bike looked just like that. None of the parts needed upgrading until they broke. Find those hard hills but make sure you have fun riding. I also believe "no pain no gain" but also "no gain no fun." Getting stronger feels so awesome.

If you spent $50 on this, only spend $500 on your second bike, it will feel like a million bucks to ride.

mtbr member
    so on monday i got the raleigh. Then i rode it on tuesday on the trails and on weds day someone PMed me about a great deal and I went ahead and grabbed this puppy.

So i wont be upgrading the raleigh its going to my dad so he can get in shape or whatever. Very stoked on this purchase. No where near $500 dollars, wayy wayyyy less lol! Im so happy! Guna ride PQ on her today. I think she needs risers and new grips, thats it!

2003 Kona Kahuna Deluxe
    upgraded Rear Derailer to XTR
    upgraded XT BB and Cassette
    upgraded Bomber Fork
    Upgraded Fox Float R Ava
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011
    If those are newer component upgrades than prolly a steal.

mtbr member
    Wasn't a steal, it was an awesome gesture from a very nice man/mtber that wanted to help me out. I wouldn't say I stole it. =)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice! I am sure you did something to deserve it ...

mtbr member
    Is that a threaded headset?
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    More pictures please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    Is that a threaded headset?
    im not sure what the difference is yet but its the old style headset so not the one that all the ones are these days.

Some Dude
    Dang at this rate you might as well buy one more!

mtbr member
    no more $ lol

mtbr member
    im not sure what the difference is yet but its the old style headset so not the one that all the ones are these days.
    A threaded headset has well, threads. The top cover piece to the headset is actually a giant nut if you will that you tighten to put tension on the headset to keep everything together.

BTW, nice call on that Kona, that is a much better bike.

Also, is that your c30? I hate to deviate, but the volvo nerd in me had to ask.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    **** yeah its a c30 =) i need a sweet roof rack to put my matching kona on it then post it on c30world.com car rack thread LOL

mtbr member
    **** yeah its a c30 =) i need a sweet roof rack to put my matching kona on it then post it on c30world.com car rack thread LOL
    you hang out on Volvo Speed, Sweed Speed at all? I'm on there, in addition to Turbo Bricks, but I'd doubt you'd be on there with a C30. Sexy cars. I'd love one! But I'm too stuck on my old Swedish iron. I had an 850 R and currently have 2 240's.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    have fun x2

Vitamin Bike Added
    so on monday i got the raleigh. Then i rode it on tuesday on the trails and on weds day someone PMed me about a great deal and I went ahead and grabbed this puppy.

So i wont be upgrading the raleigh its going to my dad so he can get in shape or whatever. Very stoked on this purchase. No where near $500 dollars, wayy wayyyy less lol! Im so happy! Guna ride PQ on her today. I think she needs risers and new grips, thats it!

2003 Kona Kahuna Deluxe
    upgraded Rear Derailer to XTR
    upgraded XT BB and Cassette
    upgraded Bomber Fork
    Upgraded Fox Float R Ava
    Post some more pics of this puppy. I have an 04 Kona Dawgmatic you can check out on my profile. Love these bikes, heavy, but rock solid.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    my bike is lighter than my friends 1996 specialized ground control a-1

LOL i thought his bike was light when i was riding my friends walmart bike

man im glad i dont have to ride that bike anymore but boy am i thankfull i got to ride at all!

ill try to do a proper photo shoot and post up

mtbr member
    Everyone else has already said it... ride it have fun, and save up for something new. You may want to keep this one as a commuter/make single-speed even once you get a nicer/newer bike.

mtb enthusiast
    Holy cow those are some big chain rings!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by torreyaz View Post
    Holy cow those are some big chain rings!
    LOL on the raleigh right?! i cant even peddle when its in the big ring LOLOL

mtbr member
    ok i just went on a ride up and down some of NightHawk Trail Black Mtn. which is pretty much 3 blocks from where i live. its steep! front wheel kept lifting. decent was smooth as butter, and fast! the end part that leads back to the main street is a super fast slope! super fun!

anyway i did a photo shoot after =)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first bike...-img_4128.jpg  

My first bike...-img_4134.jpg  

mtbr member
    dos mas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first bike...-img_4131.jpg  

My first bike...-img_4130.jpg  

mtbr member
    What kinda bomber is that on the front? MX comp? I have an older bomber v2 and it's the shizz
    -Eric

mtbr member
    04 Marathon SL

mtbr member
    nice, old skool marzochhi love! Best fork I've owned in terms or sheer indestructibility and ease of maintenance. I beat the piss out of my single speed, and the fork has never failed. I finally had to re-build it this year, just cleaned it, added a new spring, seals and fluid, and she's good to go. If you're new and on a budget you really can't go wrong with one.

I love my Reba too, but maybe because it's a nicer fork, I tend to baby it and always tinker with it, adjust it, maintain it, but I feel it needs more care more often but maybe thats me. You've got a pretty solid bike there, especially for starting out. When I started out I had a FS Jamis Dakar, that I aptly named the tank, this bike looks to be quite a bit better than my starter rig. You'll have a blast, this thing should serve you well until you really start getting into the more advanced level of riding.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    nice, old skool marzochhi love! Best fork I've owned in terms or sheer indestructibility and ease of maintenance. I beat the piss out of my single speed, and the fork has never failed. I finally had to re-build it this year, just cleaned it, added a new spring, seals and fluid, and she's good to go. If you're new and on a budget you really can't go wrong with one.

I love my Reba too, but maybe because it's a nicer fork, I tend to baby it and always tinker with it, adjust it, maintain it, but I feel it needs more care more often but maybe thats me. You've got a pretty solid bike there, especially for starting out. When I started out I had a FS Jamis Dakar, that I aptly named the tank, this bike looks to be quite a bit better than my starter rig. You'll have a blast, this thing should serve you well until you really start getting into the more advanced level of riding.
    the guy that sold me the bike told me the fork is awsome because its simple. he said he has to rebuild is fox forks every season or two. this fork however has been fine since 04 LOL!

what is more advanced riding? what kind of bike do you need for that? more travel?

Picture Unrelated
    the guy that sold me the bike told me the fork is awsome because its simple. he said he has to rebuild is fox forks every season or two. this fork however has been fine since 04 LOL!

what is more advanced riding? what kind of bike do you need for that? more travel?
    Fork maintenance shouldn't be based on fixing things when they stop working. Manufacturers give service intervals and you should try and stick with them. You don't wait to change the oil on a car until the engine stops running, why should you treat your fork like that?

More advanced riding means different things to different people, but in the context as it was used I would suspect that it does mean more travel. The bike you picked up will serve you very well, someday you might find that you like to do a different kind of riding than you are doing now. Maybe you'll start racing or maybe you'll start hitting jumps, or maybe you'll go seek out the nastiest terrain you can find. Depending on what particular kind of biking you take to you might find that a different kind of bike will serve you best.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    thank you for clearing that up zeb

mtbr member
    I was gonna say, it's dependent on travel, but also you may find that a newer bike with more updated geometry, and or parts is what you need to further your riding.

I usually look over my stuff, don't get me wrong, but I knew it was time to re-build my fork because I noticed some dirt sticking to my shock, when I checked it out in my shop, it was a thin film of oil, so I knew the seals were on there way out, that's when I overhauled. I usually don't always do things on interval, but I look after my stuff well enough, and often enough to know when it needs maintenance. Usually intervals are there because lots don't always look after there stuff, an interval reminder, like an oil change every 3k miles in your car for example can vary depending on your driving, ect, but they wouldn't say every 7k miles because that might be too long for some, it also reminds thoes who are maintenance forgetful to fix their junk.
    -Eric

Vitamin Bike Added
    Love the bike. Mine looked a lot like it until I started riding AZ terrain and the rocks have been beating up my rims and frame. That's why I went for the 04 as my first FS rig! Beat it until I need to replace it!
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Those are some pretty nice bikes. I remember my first bike was something I found at a garage sale that I had to fix up.
    You are lucky!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You are all lucky because the first bike I got was from a grage sale that needed much repair. Take good care of your bike. It's your friend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    that kona is a HUGE upgrade from the m50. not even close. congrats that is a very nice bike

mtbr member
    M20 lol! The kona was a gift from the universe

mtbr member
    Nice Kona and nice C30!
    That is a much better platform to build from than the Raleigh and should last you a while with a few upgrades here and there. Have you already starting planning out an upgrade path? :P A simple bar or stem swap can really change how you feel after a ride, as can different seats.

I've been hunting for a frame like that for cheap so I can swap some parts off my other two bikes and build myself a solid full suspension ride that is a bit more comfortable on the trail. That would also allow me to grab a disc specific wheelset and some disc brakes down the road.

Take some pictures next time you're out on the trails and enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    did you put the seat from the raleigh on there?!

D'OH! haha