Is my bike a Keeper ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Is my bike a Keeper ?

I fairly recently got a new bike as a gift from my parents. So I really didn't get a chance to research or be too choosey. Its pretty much this bike
    but its the 04 so we got it for around $550.

The 04 is pretty much the same except for a few things.

Fork Manitou Axel, 80mm with stiffer spring
    Head set WTB Comp SC
    Bottom bracket Truvativ ISIS
    Rear cog SRAM 7.0 11/32, x9
    Front hub WTB Speed Disc Comp
    Rear hub WTB Speed Disc Comp
    Stem Ritchey something
    Handlebar Truvativ XR Riserbar
    Seat post Ritchey
    Saddle WTB Rocket V
    Chain Sram with power link

So is this a bike worth keeping for a while? Because I am thinking about getting a new fork for it since the Axel seems to nearly bottom out pretty often, yet it does't really suck up the bumps either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jfr0
    I fairly recently got a new bike as a gift from my parents. So I really didn't get a chance to research or be too choosey. Its pretty much this bike

Head set WTB Comp SC
    Stem Ritchey something
    Seat post Ritchey
    Saddle WTB Rocket V

So is this a bike worth keeping for a while? Because I am thinking about getting a new fork for it since the Axel seems to nearly bottom out pretty often, yet it does't really suck up the bumps either.
    Yeah, I think it's worth keeping. But when you go to buy new or upgrade, I would buy new. I have never heard of Novara before, but the components seem pretty good.

I also think you can get better bikes at that price next time around.

TREK 4300
    HardRock Comp Disc
    Just off the top of my head.

I do have to add that free is the best price for you! Hang around here, get to know the place and its experts and then next time, go with your parents.

So about this fork problem... How much do you weigh? What kind of riding do you do? How aggressive are you? Has the fork been checked out since you got the bike?
    Last edited by Th' Mule; 04-27-2005 at 05:22 PM.
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

Domestic Fowl
    Looks like a decent entry level bike. Should be a keeper for a few years, probably with a few minor upgrades over those years.

Not really familiar with the fork. There may be some adjustments you can make to fix the bottoming out problem.

Probably drunk right now

Ditto plus some...

Head set WTB Comp SC
    Stem Ritchey something
    Seat post Ritchey
    Saddle WTB Rocket V

What the others have said. Take it out and ride it. Have fun. Determine if you like this mountain bike sickness. If it's for you, you'll know pretty quickly.

If you really like mountain biking, rather than upgrading the fork, you may want to consider upgrading the entire bike for economic reasons. In very general terms, a decent fork will run you about $300. A great bike will run you $500 - $800 and you'll get a somewhat decent fork at that price (a better fork toward the $800 range).

The most important thing is to get out and ride. I have really nice bikes but my first bike wasn't nearly as nice as the one you have.

Ken

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I agree whole-heartidly with Ken. The most important thing for you to do is to get out and ride the bike (it's ALOT better than my first bike too!).

The Novara has some pretty nice components for a starter bike. Beat the heck out of it for the next year or two. After that you'll know if you can get by with upgrades or rather have an entirely new bike.

As for the fork, take it to your local LBS and see if they can make an adjustment on it for you.

Happy riding!

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    What the others have said. Take it out and ride it. Have fun. Determine if you like this mountain bike sickness. If it's for you, you'll know pretty quickly.

If you really like mountain biking, rather than upgrading the fork, you may want to consider upgrading the entire bike for economic reasons. In very general terms, a decent fork will run you about $300. A great bike will run you $500 - $800 and you'll get a somewhat decent fork at that price (a better fork toward the $800 range).

The most important thing is to get out and ride. I have really nice bikes but my first bike wasn't nearly as nice as the one you have.

Ken

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

sorry for being a noob but

So what makes those two bikes better than my bike?

Anyway I ride this bike almost every day to get to school, and I go out to the local trails every week or so and do like 12-15 miles or so. I had bottom of the barrel bike shop bike that I rode for 4 years, but since I got this bike I have really been riding much more. Its been like 4 months with this bike so far. I just dont want to put any extra money into this bike and then decide I need another kind of hardtail like 6 mo later.

I am about 6 feet, 155 lb. Right now I just do some little trails small obsticles no drops, but thats just what I have in my area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So what makes those two bikes better than my bike?

Anyway I ride this bike almost every day to get to school, and I go out to the local trails every week or so and do like 12-15 miles or so. I had bottom of the barrel bike shop bike that I rode for 4 years, but since I got this bike I have really been riding much more. Its been like 4 months with this bike so far. I just dont want to put any extra money into this bike and then decide I need another kind of hardtail like 6 mo later.

I am about 6 feet, 155 lb. Right now I just do some little trails small obsticles no drops, but thats just what I have in my area.
    I'm thinking that you can get out there and check out the variety of bikes and see how each one fits. Also, you'll get comparable components and a bike shop to help with maintenance and warranty advocacy.

Ride this bike until you are done with it. Don't worry about getting a new one, it'll last as long as you don't go beyond its capability.

Since you are only 155# I would say that you should take the bike into your LBS so they can check out that fork. I think you might want to put that on top priority to save the fork before it craps out. If (by some slim chance) it is beyond repair, look at replacing it with another Axel Elite (~$250.00).
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

R.I.P. DogFriend
    It's definitely a decent bike. Get the fork fixed and/or adjusted properly. No way you should be bottoming out harshly with any regularity on the trails you describe and commuting.

Like others have said, it's a better bike than many of us started with and plenty good enough to get you gut-hooked on MTBing. Ride the tar out of it and only replace what breaks. Start saving for your next bike. When this one is worn out, you'll already know what your next bike will be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Good job!

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will just leave it as is for now. The shock is not that bad, it doesn't really bottom out hard or anything, but after a nice trail ride I can see that I use every bit of the travel.

Probably drunk right now

Well....

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will just leave it as is for now. The shock is not that bad, it doesn't really bottom out hard or anything, but after a nice trail ride I can see that I use every bit of the travel.
    It's hard to determine what 'bottoming out hard' means over the net but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a $600+ fork on one of my bikes and after one of my nice trail rides, I too can see that I've used every bit of travel.

As the others have suggested, it may be worthwhile to bring it in to a shop just for peace of mind.

Have fun and ride on!

Ken

Don't worry, be happy!
    Novara is REI's house brand. The good thing is that REI has a no questions asked return policy on everything they sell. ( really)

formica

mtbr member

Head set WTB Comp SC
    Stem Ritchey something
    Seat post Ritchey
    Saddle WTB Rocket V

I think it's pretty nice that your parents bought you a bike. My first bike was a lot less of a bike than that. I had a Trek 930 with an inch of travel, oh did I say it was a steel frame and had toe clips. Your bike sounds like a nice start in the mountain bike world. Enjoy your new bike, enjoy living at home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yeah its an extremely nice gift from them. Its really not my first bike since I have been riding a gaint boulder for about 4 years, but I never really got into riding my old bike on the trails.