My Ass Hurts- Mtbr.com

Thread: My Ass Hurts

mtbr member
    May 2010

My Ass Hurts

My wife and I have just been getting into mountain biking in the last month. From being used to BMX bikes where I'd rarely sit down, to going on a 20 mile ride sitting the majority of the time... my ass is sore!! Will my body get used to it or should I get a new seat?

If you have any recommendations on seats... please keep them affordable. I'm not going to put a $100 seat on a $350 bike.

I was thinking something like this...
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/193...ort-Saddle.htm

mtbr member
    Sounds like a personal problem. ha ha Since u haven't been riding long, I'd say keep at it, and if it doesn't get better, change. Try adjusting seat. For me, the midle cut out helps big time for numbnes. A bigger and or softer seat might feel better at first, but on longer rides is much worse. Alota folks like wtb in the lower price range. They also have a try out period thing goin on. I have a few saddles, with yutaak being my fav. for mtb. It's hard to recomend a saddle cause everyones different. The saddle you linked looks good but ?. I tried padded shorts once on a marathon and hated them. Maybe if they were tight shorts the padding wouldn't move around driving me crazy when in and out of saddle , but don't think I'll b goin that route since there's no need for me.
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-07-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    Round and round we go

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    WTB seats are quite comfortable across the board.

Ass pain is somewhat normal starting out, but numbness, (if you're having any), should be addressed, either seat position or a saddle that just plain doesn't fit your ass.

Also, a good pair of padded shorts will help on those longer rides
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    WTB Speed V is what I use on my road bike. It's not bulky, but has a decent a mount of padding so it doesn't feel like riding on a thinly upholstered 2x4. I picked one up for about $30 at the nearest bike store, which was kind enough to let me demo 3 other saddles. Many bike shops will have "demo" saddles that you can ride around for a bit, which makes a lot of sense since everyone's body is different.

mtbr member
    Look for a hard seat. No gel, foam, etc, or any of that crap.

++++1 on the padded shorts... I consider them a must such as my helmet.

Bike Addiction
    I've been happy with a phenom by Specialized ($80.00). Had to send the 130 width back but the 140 fits great. You'll know when the seat fits. Also had a unity saddle made by Giant for a while that was very comfortable. Try out a few at your LBS. More padding doesn't equal more comfort so look for fit. IMO
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A sore ass can be caused by alot of different things including the saddle.

Check up on how a bike should fit properly for the type of riding you are doing.

Even the best saddle can't slove all of the problems...

That said a poorly fitting saddle will cause problems no matter how good the bike fit is.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    Ass pain is somewhat normal starting out,
    This

Better keep your rides on the short side until you get used to sitting on the sadlde.
    Also, make sure your seat is positioned and angled to suit you.

TRANCER
    Wtb Devo has been the nicest seat on my rear end. I ride for very long periods of time and no pain at all. Of course no matter what saddle you get you still have to go thru the break in period with your a$$. But like someone said. If you feel excrutiating pain or numbness id get that looked at.
    Ride

mtbr member
    I would go to your local specialized dealer and get your sit bones measured. Don't be bashful, they have a gel pad that measure you specifically for this issue. Specialized makes many seats in the sub $60 range that come in various widths. My original WTB speed V is like 130mm wide, and killed my rear. My sit bones are over 150mm wide. You don't just get used to a too narrow seat.

Also please invest in some bike shorts with a pad, available at many retail stores such as Dicks Sporting goods. You can wear them under cargo shorts or gym shorts, no need to rock out like a roadie. The shorts will make a large difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah you gotta break in your @ss. I was off the bike for awhile with a broken wrist and when I went back to riding my @ss hurt.

Members who have read this thread: 0