Muddy Weekend, have some questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Muddy Weekend, have some questions

I had my first two races a couple of weekends ago (didnt get last in either ) that left my bike muddy and wet all weekend and Im having a bit of trouble. Theres a squeak coming from somewhere, chain or derailleur Im guessing, but Ive lubed both and cant seem to get rid of it (any ideas?) Something else that I just noticed is that my cassestte no longer makes the "click" that it used to though if I listen very closely I can hear it a little. Is this a problem? I think thats it for now. Ill let you guys know if anything else comes up. Thanks

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Disassemble, clean, lube and reassemble all the drivetrain components including the pedals.

Picture Unrelated
    Well, if you've properly lubed your chain then it's unlikely to be the culprit. Jockey pulleys, pedal seals, and BB seals would be my next guess. Just be careful lubing those, use a very small amount as it goes a long way.

I'm not sure what you mean by the cassette was clicking, the cassette has no moving parts and should be making a sound. Do you mean the shifter perhaps?
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sorry by the cassette I meant when I am coasting or walking the bike, not when I am pedaling

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean831 View Post
    Sorry by the cassette I meant when I am coasting or walking the bike, not when I am pedaling
    Ah, that's the freewheel/freehub body. I wouldn't be concerned if it's quieter than normal. Some hubs get quieter when they get rode some get louder, if it starts failing to engage when you pedal then you might have a problem.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Ah, that's the freewheel/freehub body. I wouldn't be concerned if it's quieter than normal. Some hubs get quieter when they get rode some get louder, if it starts failing to engage when you pedal then you might have a problem.
    thanks. i guess i didnt really think that one through too much, good to know though. but cool as long as its fine might as well keep riding

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey guys, Im still having problems with a squeak thats driving me nuts. I lubed my jockey pulleys and chain fairly well using Finish Line Wax Lubricant for dirty and dry conditions. It doesnt seem to be my bottom bracket and its not my pedals. The sound comes mostly from the back and seems to be either the pulleys or chain having to bend more to go around the small pulleys, but I cant figure out what to do.

Also, my BB has decided to start acting up on me and under load makes a popping sound. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
    Sean

Picture Unrelated
    Hey guys, Im still having problems with a squeak thats driving me nuts. I lubed my jockey pulleys and chain fairly well using Finish Line Wax Lubricant for dirty and dry conditions. It doesnt seem to be my bottom bracket and its not my pedals. The sound comes mostly from the back and seems to be either the pulleys or chain having to bend more to go around the small pulleys, but I cant figure out what to do.

Also, my BB has decided to start acting up on me and under load makes a popping sound. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
    Sean
    Try a different lube, I don't care for wax lubes.

If your BB is popping there's probably something loose. Crank arms, pedal spindles, BB, check them all.

Hi.
    Your squeak is likely coming from your rear derailleur pulleys. Remove the pulleys completely, clean them, and re-lube with grease or heavy oil. This means unscrewing the pulley from the derailleur cage and taking it off the bike, taking off the bearing shields, and cleaning it all out.

How did you clean your bike after it got muddy? A lot of people spray high pressure water at sensitive areas, which is the fastest way to develop a squeak or rusted bearings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    seat post this is where i almost always find to be the source of my squeaks, clean and regrease the post, all the interfaces on the clamping mechanism and the bolts

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My seatpost also makes noise too. Any suggestions for a grease for the post and pulleys? Ill also ask around campus to see if anyone has any tools to tweak the bottom bracket. Thanks guys

Hi.
    My seatpost also makes noise too. Any suggestions for a grease for the post and pulleys? Ill also ask around campus to see if anyone has any tools to tweak the bottom bracket. Thanks guys
    Regular bike grease like Park Tool should be fine. Automotive grease may work in a pinch.

Make sure you take your seatpost binder/collar off the frame, clean it out, and put it back together. Some grease on the bolt threads would help. I also lube and check the seatpost clamp where it meets the saddle, and where the saddle rails meet the bottom of the seat.