mtber wanting to buy a road bike for the very 1st time- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

mtber wanting to buy a road bike for the very 1st time

hi guys, i know this may not be the right forum to ask about a road bike. but i've been riding a mtb all my life. i'd like to try a road bike for a change, but not sure what is the correct size i should buy.

i ride a M size cannondale f2 and it fits me like a glove. I also stand at 1.74m

Does anyone know what is the correct road bike size for me? i'm really so confused with the numbers they have for road bikes..they usually measure it by top tube length right?

just a wild guess, is top tube 52cm the correct size for me?

sorry to trouble u guys..

=)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a 54cm Cross Check, I'm 5'10", with a 31" inseam. On most mountain bikes, I'm comfortable in a medium frame or 17"-18" range. Road bikes are more dependent on proper fit, they're offered in more sizes, and like mountain bikes, the sizing is not consistent across different brands.

The 52cm frame sounds like a good place to start.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    test ride. test ride. test ride. a good shop will help you get the proper fit and adjustment.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Brant-C.
    definitely test ride but also get a proper fit. unlike mountain biking, road biking needs to be a better fit due to the amount of time in the saddle...in mountain biking you are constantly being challenged by terrain. you're in and out of the saddle.

good luck.

you should also go to www.roadbikereview.com and post since that is the road bike site.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaronongan
    definitely test ride but also get a proper fit. unlike mountain biking, road biking needs to be a better fit due to the amount of time in the saddle...in mountain biking you are constantly being challenged by terrain. you're in and out of the saddle.

good luck.

you should also go to www.roadbikereview.com and post since that is the road bike site.
    As has been said, fit is a little more critical for road bikes. Luckily, the science of fit is far more precise with road bikes than with mtbs.

+1 in the roadbikereview site. You will get MUCH better help there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchbulldog
    hi guys, i know this may not be the right forum to ask about a road bike. but i've been riding a mtb all my life. i'd like to try a road bike for a change, but not sure what is the correct size i should buy.

Does anyone know what is the correct road bike size for me? i'm really so confused with the numbers they have for road bikes..they usually measure it by top tube length right?
    My road bike is essentially the same size as my MTB. I ride an 18" hardtail 29er and 26er and a 58cm road bike. I feel like morecomfortable on a smaller MTB frame for the control and standover. Seems like you can deal with a little larger bike and more stretched out feel on the roadbike. Seat position and stem length are the critical points of bike fit once you get in the ball park. My 12-13 yr old son is riding a 55 cm RB and upgrading to a 16" MTB-HT this Christmas. Good luck and have fun.
    GapRider MTB
    aka Chuck Faulkner
    Tazewell TN 37879

http://www.jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Go to wrenchscience.com and use their fit program. It will give you a really good place to start.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I ride a 59cm road bike and a 18" hardtail MTB.

Road bike fit is much much much more important than a MTB. On a MTB you are constantly getting out of the saddle to go around stuff or up stuff. On a road bike you will be doing alot of hammering in the saddle and if your fit is bad then you are pretty much f'ed.

Knee problems, back problems, balls going numb, wrist problems, etc etc etc all come with bad fit.

I paid ~$150 for a proper fit. Sure that seems high but you spend a very long time in the saddle of a road bike so it a very good investment.

I rode about 13,000 miles last year on my road bike...

mtbr member
    At 174cm, I'd have you start looking at the 56cm bikes.

But really, get into an LBS and at least get a ball park fitting. On a road bike, fitment is everything since you stay in one position for hours.
    Just get out and ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0