MTB / Vitus Sentier 27 VR frame size advice - confused- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

MTB / Vitus Sentier 27 VR frame size advice - confused

Hi MTB newbie here seeking some help - I am considering purchasing a Vitus Sentier 27 VR or VRS and I am really struggling to choose the right size.

Vitus

I am about 5'6.5 and have a inseam of approximately 29-30 inches, not sure if relevant but I weigh about 130lbs.

From checking the Vitus sizing guide it has me right on the cusp between a small and medium, I was focusing on standover, but from all the reading, reach & stack (?) also appear to be key.

Reach / stack measurements:
    Small: 413 / 613
    Medium: 432 / 617

Is there a optimal reach I should be aiming for on a trail / xc bike?
    How do you calculate standover - I cant see it listed on the Vitus website?
    Any general advice on sizing?

With me being a newbie (well after a ~20 year break) - I want decent standover and to be able to manoeuvre the bike easily.

Any thoughts / input would be really appreciated .

jcd's best friend
    According to your info, you are in the UK. I recommend reaching out to Chain Reaction Cycles (also in the UK) and ask for fit advice. They sell Vitus bikes and can help you out.
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The optimal reach is ,not too stretched out nor cramped. A little bend in the elbows , not hunched over .Stand over rarely comes in to play while riding ,I've never hit the top tube in 30 plus years of mountain biking. Fit should start with reach , reach is the distance from the saddle to the bars , that's where you spend most of your riding time .You more or less want to be centered over the bottom bracket , that's the most neutral position. Is that 29" pants, because riding inseam is different ? As new to the latest bikes ,you would learn a lot just taking with a local shop or someone who is up to date on bikes,

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    According to your info, you are in the UK. I recommend reaching out to Chain Reaction Cycles (also in the UK) and ask for fit advice. They sell Vitus bikes and can help you out.
    Thanks Battery - I have emailed Wiggle and Vitus asking for advice, wanted to get your guys input / thoughts too, especially as size guidance seems to vary per manufacturer, with Vitus (and a few others) i am on the cusp, but with Ribble for example (I was thinking about the HT 725), my dimensions has me firmly on a small frame.

Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    The optimal reach is ,not too stretched out nor cramped. A little bend in the elbows , not hunched over .Stand over rarely comes in to play while riding ,I've never hit the top tube in 30 plus years of mountain biking. Fit should start with reach , reach is the distance from the saddle to the bars , that's where you spend most of your riding time .You more or less want to be centered over the bottom bracket , that's the most neutral position. Is that 29" pants, because riding inseam is different ? As new to the latest bikes ,you would learn a lot just taking with a local shop or someone who is up to date on bikes,
    Thanks Ranger - I measured my inseam again using the book method, feet flat to the floor with no trainers its just over 30 inches, I also double checked my height at the same time and I am 169cm, wingspan about 167cms.

I thought the same re a LBS - went to one yesterday and the guy tried to sell me a XS Whyte 901 27.5+ - which upon checking the spec / geo is for those between 4'10" - 5'2", I know I am short but I am not that short.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hfr897 View Post
    I thought the same re a LBS - went to one yesterday and the guy tried to sell me a XS Whyte 901 27.5+ - which upon checking the spec / geo is for those between 4'10" - 5'2", I know I am short but I am not that short.
    Sometimes you have to ask the "why" behind a given recommendation. Some people have reasons for giving a particular recommendation, because there's some gray area with bike sizing.

For example, someone might suggest a bike that seems overly small because they're approaching from a dirt jumping point of view, where you want a bike that's easily maneuverable underneath you. Some might suggest bikes on the large side because that'll be more stable under you.

Me, I don't trust manufacturer or retailer sizing recommendations. Period. As you've noticed, they can be all over the place. I'm only a little bit taller than you, honestly, and I ride medium frames mostly, but I can manage on larges (and in some brands, actually prefer larges). But I have a fairly broad wingspan, which affects things. My wife is the total opposite. She has a pretty short wingspan (the jokes about t-rex arms are never-ending), and almost always needs to size down to feel comfortable and have a sufficient range of motion. Her height suggests she's a solid small, but she almost always prefers an xs frame because she just feels too stretched. And with modern bikes having already short stems, there's no adjustment to be had there for her anymore.

The fact you need to face is that when you have little to no experience with bike sizing, the only way to figure it out is to actually climb onto some bikes so you can get a feel for them. All of my and my wife's impressions about bike sizing for ourselves comes from riding bikes. Not reading manufacturer or retailer sizing charts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Go back to that shop and take that XS out for spin to see how it fits. Ride it over some bumps and on the grass. Maybe a ditch while standing up. Then take out the S if they have it. Because some sales guys recommend based on what they have right then.
    Their primary goal is to make a sale.
    Ride a S and M of whatever they have to get a feel for what reach can work for you.

Look at the 29 versions. Better rollover and the 27.5.
    27.5+ would take 29 wheels if you want in the future. You can fit on a 29.

The Nucleus comes in VR and VRS.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks @harold & @eb1888

Part of the reason I went to that LBS was for that, hoped to have a proper chat with someone, try out a few bikes get a feel for sizing, but this lockdown situation is making it really difficult. Plus the sense I got was that he wanted to sell what he had available rather than give me genuine advice, I think I'm going to go to another LBS tomorrow and check out some options and get a proper feel for the type of size / reach I am comfortable with.

One thing I have realised - from being on the XS Whyte 901 27.5+ I felt quite high up, in order to fit (on full pedal extension, my knee was slightly bent) he had to raise the seat significantly, with probably about 5cm of the bottom portion of the dropper post exposed above the frame. Thinking out loud, that high up sensation, was that because it was a little cramped perhaps?

Apologies for the newb questions.

PS @eb1888 its the Sentier VR or VRS rather than Nucleus, though part of me is wondering if I should go FS rather than HT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    When on the saddle ,your knee should have a slight bend . If the saddle is too high you will start rocking your hips and stress your knees. Too will stress the knees and you won't be able to use the biggest muscles in your legs fully.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Update:

Heard back from Vitus - recommended a Medium, Wiggle a small!

Headed to a couple of LBS's today - really limited stock, they both recommended a medium, though slightly concerning I sat on a Trek Roscoe 8 27.5+ ML (Long?) that felt a bit big tbh, checking the reach on that (below) - that has got me doubting again as that measures at 410 mm, the reach on the Small Vitus is 413 mm.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/b...Code=black_red

Arrrghhh