Mountain Bike for my stupid huge 6' 7" brother- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Mountain Bike for my stupid huge 6' 7" brother

My mom is looking into getting my younger brother a mountain bike for Christmas as he has been borrowing his roommates to occasionaly go mountain biking around 3 times a year or so. She told me that she was looking around $300 for something that will be durable and last. I told her that $300 won't get her much, and that maybe $500 will get a fairly decent bike. He is 6' 7" and approximately 225 pounds and still in college and doesn't have a lot of money to throw around on bikes. I don't really know if he is in this whole "mountain bike" thing as it is just something fun to do with his friends and me. The theory is that if he had his own mountain bike then he would want to ride more.

He has a walmart mountain bike that he has pretty much trashed. Rode it hard. Ran it into trees. Left it out in the rain. He then expected me to work on it and fix it up for him. I told him that I already work on my own bikes too much and that I prefer to ride vs. repair. Especially something that he is going to break again in the first 5 minutes of his ride.

Due to his ridiculous size, I'm thinking 29" wheels. I would imagine him on an XL 29" bike will still look small.

I put a post out on my local message board asking if there were any used XL bikes for sale for around $500. I doubt I get any responses.

I doubt going to a local bike shop and asking for an XL bike will be within the $500 budget. As it will likely be a special order.

Even on bikesdirect for $500 won't get you much for a geared HT.

What I am thinking is suggesting the Dawes Bullseye 21" for $400. The 8 miles of trail that is literally 50 feet from his apartment is fairly rooty but not rocky and has pretty mild elevation changes. I'm leaning towards the single speed rigid because I myself am kind of hung up on the idea of trying out single speed rigid. I also don't want to repair his bike every time he rides, and I don't want him to not ride it because something is broken and he is too cheap to take it to the LBS to get it fixed.

Thoughts? Is this too much for him as he is still learning and figuring things out. Or is a rigid single speed a good beginner bike to learn how to ride light and carry momentum? Is 21" still not going to fit? His friends bike I think is a large. Looking over the Bullseye it looks like he could run geared and suspended if he wanted to spend the money in the future.

Sorry for the long winded story. If this is in the wrong thread and should be in the "clydesdale" thread then my apologies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    check out gravity 1 and 2. the 1 is 450 2 is 550. but you might want to check out a lbs as specialized has hardrock disc 29s that have a 23 inch frame. if they want more than 520 ask if they price match. have a local lbs here that has them online for sale at 520. or maybe a trek marlin as they have a 23 too

edit: stupid cause hes huge or ? but seriously you should also check ebay and craigslist as you might find them in good shape but lower in price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    get him a Giant. because he's a giant. no seriously though, my dad got me a $200 yellow giant for xmas years ago when i was first starting. front suspension/hard tail. it was a beast. i beat the hell out of it and it never broke. it was a heavy durable bike. G I A N T ! ! !

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    dont know how far you are from chicago but this seems a nice deal Trek 820 Mountain Bike or spend a little more for a new 820 you can probably find for around 350ish or this 2004 TREK 4300 (Mint) Alpine Aluminum didnt list the frame size of the bike though

edit: Specialized Stumpjumper FS Specialized Rockhopper Bike and =====Specialized Hard Rock Mountin Bike Men's 53 cm frame=====
    Last edited by gillotte; 11-09-2011 at 01:05 PM.

T.W.O.
    At 6'7" a 29er would be a great choice. Giant Talon 29er may be XL size Wheelworld is selling it at 650 Look online you may be able to find better deal.
    Giant Talon 29er 2 - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cool, maybe I can talk my mom into increasing it up to $650 or so. A bike that would actually fit him may make riding more enjoyable. We live closer to St. Louis, but have some family in Chicago that might be able to look at some bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    hmm are you near big shark bike company? they have a nice variety of bikes for sell there. Mountain Bikes - Big Shark Bicycle Company - St. Louis, MO

edit: you can a good many bike shops within like 40 miles of you. i used google maps and just did st louis bike shops. tried to look at shops with decent prices but most dont even list the bikes they carry just the brands which just take you to the manufacturer webpage.
    Last edited by gillotte; 11-09-2011 at 06:02 PM.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Check out the Gary Fisher (Trek) Wahoo. The 23" Wahoo has a 663mm top tube. That is getting into the ballpark for a 6'7" rider.

The Giant Talon has a 635mm top tube which is getting toward the short end of what I consider comfy and I am (barely) 6'5". The 23" Specialized Hardrock has a 650mm top tube which is what I prefer at my height, and I tend to like top tubes that are on the short side for riders my height.

I doubt you're going to find anything from bikesdirect in that size range, but if you do, that might be a way to go.

Freshly Fujified

Redline D440 or D660

Look online to see if you can't find a leftover Redline D440 or D660. It's a 29" hardtail. My guess is you may find one in the $500 range.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cool, they are currently looking into the Trek in Chicago that Gillotte recommended. Thanks! I have an Uncle who lives near there that is 6' 5" or so and he can test ride it and buy it for him and bring it down over thanksgiving. I went to my local bike shop and they had the 2011 GF Wahoo at $527 and I was impressed with how cheap it is for a Trek/GF disc brake 29'r. They only had the 21" but said they could get the 23" in for the same price. I told my mom about it and kind of said that the lifetime adjustments would be nice since that would mean that I wouldn't need to work on it every time he rode it. I think she is stoked on the $230 Trek though as that is more in her price range and is a clean and solid looking bike. I told her that a 29r would probably ride a little bit more natural for someone his size and he really should get a bike in the 23" range, but she said he can buy that when he is working and has his own money. I couldn't disagree with that.

mtbr member
    If you don;t mind used, check craigslist. Seems I'm constantly seeing very nice, huge framed bike that don't sell and the prices keep getting lower.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    yea, I have been actually surprised at how many huge frames are on there that aren't selling. I figured that there wouldn't be that many, but then again a huge frame is probably a much harder sell and sticks around longer.

mtbr member
    i loved my hardrock 29er as an entry level bike. i beat the piss out of the thing for 4 months straight and never needed anything aside from routine adjustments that i made on my own. For $520 if he can find an XL, thatd be right up his ally.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

jds
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    Cool, they are currently looking into the Trek in Chicago that Gillotte recommended. Thanks! I have an Uncle who lives near there that is 6' 5" or so and he can test ride it and buy it for him and bring it down over thanksgiving. I went to my local bike shop and they had the 2011 GF Wahoo at $527 and I was impressed with how cheap it is for a Trek/GF disc brake 29'r.
    I'm 6'5" and riding a 2011 GF Marlin in the 23" frame. I'm long in the torso, and the top tube length is fine for me. From what I hear, all the GF hardtails share the same frame geometry, so I'm betting it'll be in the right ballpark.

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by buttons View Post
    get him a Giant. because he's a giant. no seriously though, my dad got me a $200 yellow giant for xmas years ago when i was first starting. front suspension/hard tail. it was a beast. i beat the hell out of it and it never broke. it was a heavy durable bike. G I A N T ! ! !
    Was it an SE Boulder? If so, I have the same bike. It is bomb-proof.

mtbr member
    my good friend is 6-7 he loves Cannondale

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for all of the help.

My mom got this for him. It looks pretty old, but everything looks to be clean and in decent shape and fairly upgraded.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

No disc brakes, no 29" wheels, not an XXL frame. But I think it'll work just fine. a 1x9 should work fine for the trails he is going to ride and should be easier to maintain and fix.