Mom's First Bike!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

... and if we just ... Mom's First Bike!

Hi everyone,

My mom is 49 and has never been on a bike, and has been bugging me to come on my bike rides! I'm going to get her training wheels, but I'm more so looking for what size of bike.

She's 4ft 9", and we're looking for something for just simple flat paved surface bike rides nothing crazy.

I'm looking probably between a woman's XS, or a kids bike. Trying to spend less than $700.

Please help! Accepting any suggestions, thanks!

jcd's best friend
    I recommend bringing her to a bike shop so she can be fitted. Sizing may be different for each brand.
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm not sure what the consensus is on training wheels for adults. Even on kids bike the trend has been to recommend against them. I don't know if they make training wheels that can support and adult weight. But yes, definitely visit a bike shop to size. And you wont need to be spending that kind of money. She wont need lots of gears, if any, disc brakes, suspension fork. The only thing is that base entry level bikes are selling like hotcakes right now so you may find supply low.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Depending her past experience she could jump on and pedal away. The way a lot of kids learn to ride these days is with a balance bike, that's a bike without pedals. You could do the same thing with a bike for her, take off the pedals . She pushes it around until she decides she wants try it with pedals.

mtbr member
    My mom is about that height with about 20 years on your mom. I bought my mom a 27.5" Giant Liv Tempt in XS. She likes it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisurelyStroll View Post
    My mom is 49 and has never been on a bike, and has been bugging me to come on my bike rides! I'm going to get her training wheels,
    Maybe you're joking, but

Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    The way a lot of kids learn to ride these days is with a balance bike, that's a bike without pedals. You could do the same thing with a bike for her, take off the pedals . She pushes it around until she decides she wants try it with pedals.
    Agreed! X100

@OP: Maybe even take off the cranks and chain and let your mom learn to balance first if she's not ready to try to just pedal.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    unless she has a disability that prevents normal movement, training wheels are going to be a hinderance. avoid.

someone under 5 feet tall is going to need a XXS adult bike or maybe a large kids bike. my wife is 5'0" and its difficult to find adult bikes that fit her. Look into Frog bikes.

your best option is to go to some actual bike shops and find out what they have. bike shops inventory is very low right now due to all the demand from people who are at home due to Covid-19.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    My mom is about that height with about 20 years on your mom. I bought my mom a 27.5" Giant Liv Tempt in XS. She likes it.
    That bike would be overkill. OPs mom does not know how to ride a bike. She has no need for hydraulic discs, suspension forks, xc posture.
    Something more upright, smoother tires, minimal gears.
    There used to be some adult bikes with 24 wheels, but dunno how easy those would be to find.