mini-pump, Which one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

mini-pump, Which one?

Please recommend a good mini pump. I have entered my first sprint tirathlon. The biking portion is 14 miles. What essential items other than a pump and tubes should i have with me?
    Thanks for all the help,

^ That's what I do
    I have this one, a Topeak Mini-Master Blaster: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/115...aster-Pump.htm.

It works well, but it's mostly made out of plastic so be careful with it. I broke the little piece inside of the opening so it doesn't work with presta valves anymore. If this one breaks, my next pump will be made out of metal.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

Bike builder
    The biggest consideration with mini-pumps is whether to go for telescopic (where several pieces of tube slide out like a telescope to create a bigger air-chamber), or dual action, where the cylinder is valved so air is pumped when you both push and pull the handle.

The latter sounds more attractive, but in actual fact I've found dual action pumps to be quite hard work and more hassle than their worth - at higher pressure it becomes increasingly difficult to pull the handle all the way out (pulling is harder than pushing) which means you have less travel for the push stroke.
    Free bike maintenance videos every two weeks!
    BuildYourBicycle.com video podcast

Disgruntled Peccary
    At what pressure though? Since I'm normally topping out at about 30psi at most, that's typically not an issue on a mtb tire for me. Then again, while I like my Lezyne dual action pump for emergency use.. I also would not want to regularly use it...
    mike

mtbr member
    I had a Topeak mini that barely worked when I needed it recently. Air was getting by the plunger seal rings and it had trouble building pressure. I did a little research and replaced it with a Lezyne HV. Not the cheapest, but better materials and construction. Can also be had in blingy colors, if you want to spend a few extra bucks. I also like that it attaches with a hose, thereby reducing stress on the valve.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Mountain Morph.

You can use it like a mini-pump and a mini-floor pump. It's awesome!

mtbr member
    Hate to say it but I have this Schwinn mini pump and it works killer. Big bonus is....... it is beyond cheap
    http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Cycle-.../dp/B0018CX1E6
    1.. 2.. 3... 4...........FIFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I highly recommend you get an All Mountain tire pump, especially if you're riding a bit more heavy duty than the normal person. To me, a triathlon might fit that bill, so definitely, an All Mountain grade pump would be able to handle the task.

mtbr member
    Lezyne makes a bunch of great hand pumps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would suggest getting one that has a built in gauge, if you have presta valves.

I am going through this now... I bought a X-Alpin mini-pump for about $15 and a presta-to-schrader adapter for $2.

Well I can't accurately check how much pressure is in my tires with the adapter, so I really have no idea how much is in there.

Option was to either buy a presta valve gauge (along with the mini-pump) or to take back the mini-pump and buy one that has a built in gauge.

Can anyone suggest a mini-pump with built in gauge?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My 12 year old Blackburn still rocks like it did on day one.

Meat Clever
    This looks interesting and durable - I too have broken a Topeak Mini Morph:
    http://www.lezyne.com/products/hand-...-drive-hv.html
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a Topeak mini-g. It's small, dual action , and has a built in gauge. I was able to go up to 60 psi (dropped it back to 40psi) with no straining on the push or pull. I actualy found it at TJ Max while shopping with my wife for $9.99. I think they are regularly $20.

mtbr member
    I have a 12-15 year old Blackburn Mountan Air. Works great plus the Blackburn customer sercive is AWESOME. My pump wasn't sealing well on the valve and they sent me a pump rebuild kit at no cost. They had told me if the kit did not work that they would have me send them back the pump for a new one. Blackburn gets an A+ in my book.

mtbr rememberer
    Quote Originally Posted by PG256
    Lezyne makes a bunch of great hand pumps.
    +1

the pressure drive has worked very well for me.

mtbr member
    I use a Lezyne Road Drive. Presta only but does a great job. I bought it for my road bike which I sold but I kept the pump and it works great for my mountain bike as well. If I was going to get a new pump specifically for my mountain bike I would probably get the Lezyne Alloy drive high volume pump or the Micro Floor Drive.

T.W.O.

Road Morph

Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930
    Mountain Morph.

You can use it like a mini-pump and a mini-floor pump. It's awesome!
    If you have room in your pack Topeak Road morph is awesome. I used to carry a compact pump but every time I have flat, it seem to zap energy out of you trying to pump them. One time at a group ride a guy had a flat another rider handed him Road morph it was so much easier. I ordered one and been in my bag ever since

mtbr member
    Have you looked at CO2 pumps? they would work well on the Triathalon since they're so light and small
    http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...i_sku=12013525

Members who have read this thread: 0