Measuring Wheels, Total Newb Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Measuring Wheels, Total Newb Question

Okay, I'm pretty damn new to the mtb scene but decided to learn how to build and maintain a bike from the start.

I'm just making the move from v-brakes to disc brakes on my front wheel (can't afford both... yet) and want to make sure I get a new wheel that's the same size as the old, to keep things nice and simple. Problem is, as stupid as it sounds I'm really struggling to figure out how big the wheel is. I've measured the inner and outer diameter of the rim (55cm/57cm, around 21.5"/22.5") but seeing as I can't find any other wheels in this size I'm guessing something isn't quite right.

If it helps I'm pretty sure the tire I'm running is a 2.5", as that's printed on the side, but it doesn't say what diameter rim it's meant for. Below the tire size it has 55/72 printed on it, which could conceivably be 55/22 with some of the 2 having been rubbed off but I can't tell for sure.

Please help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sounds to me since your diameter is 22.5" you dont even have a full size mountain bike, which makes me beg to ask, why? The wheels should be around 26" in diameter

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hmm, pretty sure it's a full size bike.

The frame is an old Orange E3 and the forks I'm running are some old 'zocchi Z4s (soon to be replaced with Z1s) which are only supposed to take 24" or 26" wheels so I'm even more confused now...

mtbr member
    Generally you should be measuring from the point where the TIRE touches the ground, straight up to the highest point of the TIRE on the top of the wheel. That will give you the wheel size you should use when buying new tires. Since you're getting 21-23" from the wheels, I'd guess that you're running a 26" wheel size with regards to picking a tire. The 2.5" width (or 55 / 22) also makes me think that.

What brand and model are the tires? Do you see anything adjacent to the tire width information like a "26 x " or something similar?
    :wq

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The tires are panaracer.

I've looked for something along the lines of 26x or 24x but there's definitely nothing on there. Either there never was or it's just been rubbed off.

Does the 2.5" tire refer to the width, depth or both? If it's the depth that would make it 22.5" +5" which makes it 27.5" which seems unlikely but to be fair the tires look wider than they are thick so 26" sounds about right.

mtbr member
    The 2.5 should be the width. If it's a 2.5" panaracer, it's gotta be a 26" tire: http://www.mtbtires.com/specs/panaracer.html
    :wq

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    A 26" wheel has a rim diameter of about 22.5".

You have a 26" wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks guys, I've been puzzling over this for ages!

Members who have read this thread: 0