Making My Merida One Forty 400 Lighter- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10

    Making My Merida One Forty 400 Lighter

    I have a Merida One Forty 400 (full sus) that weights 14.7kgs. I have a friend with a full sus (probably year 2015, forgot brand) with xt drive trains and a 2015 Fox 34 fork (among others) that weighs 13.6kgs.

    I aiming on lowering the weight to less than 14kgs, similar to my friend's. IN EXACT ORDER (since I won't have the whole budget to upgrade), which ones should I upgrade first to make my bike sub-14kgs?

    Thanks.

    Here are my Merida's specs:

    FRAME SIZE: Medium
    FRAME ONE-FORTY
    FORK Suntour Aion, Air, 150mm suspension travel, Tapered (4.43 to 4.7lbs)
    SHOCK Suntour Unair TR LOR8, lockout
    DERAILLEUR REAR Shimano SLX Shadow+
    SHIFTERS no / Shimano SLX
    BRAKE LEVER Shimano MT-500
    BRAKES Shimano MT-200
    CHAINWHEEL FSA Gamma Pro 1x MegaExo, 32 teeth
    CHAIN KMC X11
    HUBS Shimano MT400-B, 110x15mm width, 32 spoke holes, Centerlock / Shimano MT400-B, 148x12mm width, 32 spoke holes, Centerlock
    RIM MERIDA Comp CC, 20mm inner width
    FREEWHEEL Sunrace CSMX8, 11-46 teeth, 11 speed
    TIRES Maxxis Forekaster, 27.5x2.35", fold, TR EXO Dual
    SPOKES Black stainless
    HANDLEBAR STEM MERIDA Expert CC, 31.8mm diameter, 6 stem angle
    HANDLEBAR MERIDA Expert CC, 740mm width, 10mm rise
    HEADSET MERIDA M2339 Neck, 2191025950
    SEAT POST MERIDA EXPERT TR, 30.9mm diameter, 0mm setback, S: 100mm travel seatpost - M/L/XL 125mm travel seatpost,
    SADDLE MERIDA Comp CC
    BIKE WEIGHT 14.7 kg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    208
    For us metrically challenged your askind to drop over a pound, not easy/cheap. Replacing dropper with a good aluminum fixed post will drop almost a pound. But youre losing functionality. Likewise changing to lighter tires can drop a fair weight, but might loose traction and/or durability. Upgrading cranks and casette can drop a pretty good amount, but cost starts getting high. XTR can drop a lot there, but costs a lot, XT level is somewhere in the middle. Carbon handlebars if you find a good deal dan somtimes be had pretty affordably and drops some. Good wheelset can drop a fair amount, but were talking price again. A premium wheelset to drop a few hundred grams can easily run to $1000.
    Other components return on dollars spent to weight lost gets smaller. Stem you can prob drop some. Saddle if you dish out and risk for carbon rail and shell can drop some, but at full retail is expensive. Pedals can prob drop some. Fork can drop weight, but a new fork isnt cheap either. Other components your getting into gram shaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonev View Post
    I have a Merida One Forty 400 (full sus) that weights 14.7kgs. I have a friend with a full sus (probably year 2015, forgot brand) with xt drive trains and a 2015 Fox 34 fork (among others) that weighs 13.6kgs.

    I aiming on lowering the weight to less than 14kgs, similar to my friend's. IN EXACT ORDER (since I won't have the whole budget to upgrade), which ones should I upgrade first to make my bike sub-14kgs?

    Thanks.

    Here are my Merida's specs:

    FRAME SIZE: Medium
    FRAME ONE-FORTY
    FORK Suntour Aion, Air, 150mm suspension travel, Tapered (4.43 to 4.7lbs)
    SHOCK Suntour Unair TR LOR8, lockout
    DERAILLEUR REAR Shimano SLX Shadow+
    SHIFTERS no / Shimano SLX
    BRAKE LEVER Shimano MT-500
    BRAKES Shimano MT-200
    CHAINWHEEL FSA Gamma Pro 1x MegaExo, 32 teeth
    CHAIN KMC X11
    HUBS Shimano MT400-B, 110x15mm width, 32 spoke holes, Centerlock / Shimano MT400-B, 148x12mm width, 32 spoke holes, Centerlock
    RIM MERIDA Comp CC, 20mm inner width
    FREEWHEEL Sunrace CSMX8, 11-46 teeth, 11 speed
    TIRES Maxxis Forekaster, 27.5x2.35", fold, TR EXO Dual
    SPOKES Black stainless
    HANDLEBAR STEM MERIDA Expert CC, 31.8mm diameter, 6 stem angle
    HANDLEBAR MERIDA Expert CC, 740mm width, 10mm rise
    HEADSET MERIDA M2339 Neck, 2191025950
    SEAT POST MERIDA EXPERT TR, 30.9mm diameter, 0mm setback, S: 100mm travel seatpost - M/L/XL 125mm travel seatpost,
    SADDLE MERIDA Comp CC
    BIKE WEIGHT 14.7 kg

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    656
    As has been said. Seatpost is an easy gain at the cost of functionality.
    If you haven't already, go tubeless.
    Carbon bar and light weight seat can be pretty simple scores.
    You can also gain quite a bit by going to XC type tyres. It will likely cost you in terms of durability and traction.
    Unless I missed it you didn't list pedals. You might gain a little there. Plastic Chester's for example will weigh 100gms less than most alloy platforms and are still functional.
    After that it starts to get expensive. Overall it's not undoable, it's only a lb or .5kg. You can likely gain over 100gms a tire, more if your not tubeless already.
    Saddle and bar you can like gain similar without busting the bank.
    Components it's expensive and you don't gain much between SLX and XT for your bucks.
    Wheels cost lot to get real weight savings. Though they will be most noticeable as it's rotational mass.
    At a quick look you buddy gains that 1lbs over you in his fork alone.
    You'll likely start a weight war...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    As has been said. Seatpost is an easy gain at the cost of functionality.
    If you haven't already, go tubeless.
    Carbon bar and light weight seat can be pretty simple scores.
    You can also gain quite a bit by going to XC type tyres. It will likely cost you in terms of durability and traction.
    Unless I missed it you didn't list pedals. You might gain a little there. Plastic Chester's for example will weigh 100gms less than most alloy platforms and are still functional.
    After that it starts to get expensive. Overall it's not undoable, it's only a lb or .5kg. You can likely gain over 100gms a tire, more if your not tubeless already.
    Saddle and bar you can like gain similar without busting the bank.
    Components it's expensive and you don't gain much between SLX and XT for your bucks.
    Wheels cost lot to get real weight savings. Though they will be most noticeable as it's rotational mass.
    At a quick look you buddy gains that 1lbs over you in his fork alone.
    You'll likely start a weight war...
    Yeah, I looked into it and between SLX and XT there is almost no weight advantage. You could ditch spare tube, tools, pump and make your friend carry them, that's usually more than a pound.

  5. #5
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    25,581
    For the class of bike you have (150mm FS), that overall weight is reasonable.

    Hell, my top end 140mm steel hardtail weighs maybe half a kg less than that.

    That said, there are lots of individual places you can reduce weight for components.

    But you are at a point where playing the weight weenie game is going to cost you a lot of money. And on some components, it will cost you loss of functionality (such as with tires, or the seatpost).

    It's hard to know exactly what individual components weigh in some of these cases, but most likely the single most significant spot you can improve the bike will be in the wheels.

    A shimano freehub body (probably steel on those hubs) with a Sunrace cassette just by itself is pretty portly. If you did nothing else but change the freehub body to xD and got a lighter 11spd cassette to go with, it might hit your weight goal. But I suspect that in order to make that change, you'd have to change the entire wheelset. And that will be a pretty expensive proposition to get what you're after (lighter weight without reducing functionality).

    Honestly, unless you're willing to start spending serious money on the bike, you're probably better off sneaking rocks into your riding buddy's pack when he isn't looking.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10
    Thank you all for your replies. I have to mention that, yes, I am willing to spend up to XT-level costs.

    I was thinking to upgrade the wheelsets at first but am leaning towards:

    1st phase
    1. Upgrading to Fox 34 fork
    2. Upgrading to XT Cranksets
    3. Using nylon plastic pedals like Chesters (I have the Shimano Saint ones)
    4. Convert to tubeless tires

    2nd phase
    1. Upgrade dropper post to mid-level brand/models.

    And if that is not enough.... upgrade the wheelsets

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    you're probably better off sneaking rocks into your riding buddy's pack when he isn't looking.
    Haha, genius.

  8. #8
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    25,581
    Quote Originally Posted by tonev View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. I have to mention that, yes, I am willing to spend up to XT-level costs.
    I think you missed my more general point and the phrasing of your budget made some of your point a bit unclear.

    What, exactly, do you mean by "XT-level costs?" To me, that actually doesn't mean a whole lot of money. The cost of the fork would certainly exceed the number I've got in my head.

    My more general point was that your bike is a respectable build as it is, and it's going to be difficult to achieve your weight loss goals by replacing just one or two moderately-priced components. I have in my mind well over $1,000, and possibly well over $2,000 (especially if you swap the fork AND the wheels).

    Especially if you don't want to lose functionality (as you would if you put a weight weenie xc wheelset on a 150mm travel bike), a good, lightweight, strong wheelset won't come cheap.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    That said, there are lots of individual places you can reduce weight for components.

    Honestly, unless you're willing to start spending serious money on the bike, you're probably better off sneaking rocks into your riding buddy's pack when he isn't looking.
    Or fill his handlebars with sand.

    Like i mentioned, when i looked into things, SLX is pretty decent, you dont loose a whole lot of weight going to xt. I guess thats why i run XTR cranks, that were on closeout. Swapping out thise Saints should get u a decent amount, those are nice pedals, but heavy!
    Converting to tubeless is almost a no brainer that i had assumed u alreadt done.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I think you missed my more general point and the phrasing of your budget made some of your point a bit unclear.

    What, exactly, do you mean by "XT-level costs?" To me, that actually doesn't mean a whole lot of money. The cost of the fork would certainly exceed the number I've got in my head.

    My more general point was that your bike is a respectable build as it is, and it's going to be difficult to achieve your weight loss goals by replacing just one or two moderately-priced components. I have in my mind well over $1,000, and possibly well over $2,000 (especially if you swap the fork AND the wheels).

    Especially if you don't want to lose functionality (as you would if you put a weight weenie xc wheelset on a 150mm travel bike), a good, lightweight, strong wheelset won't come cheap.
    Sorry. I don't think I missed your general point. My fault for not being clear with "XT-level costs". I have a $2,000 budget.

    1. I will definitely replace my fork with fox 34 150mm (weight savings and cool factor)
    2. My shifters and derailleurs are SLX and I am leaning towards an SLX crank. However, if the price difference between SLX and XT cranks is insignificant (factoring in sale discounts), I will spend for the XT crank. (if and when the derailleurs break at some point in the future, upgrade it to XT as well)
    3. Upgrade Pedals, Dropper posts, etc.
    4. If there's still money left, I will look to upgrade wheelsets. I know they're not cheap but hopefully, I will have another upgrade budget in the near future.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Taroroot View Post
    Like i mentioned, when i looked into things, SLX is pretty decent, you dont loose a whole lot of weight going to xt. I guess thats why i run XTR cranks, that were on closeout. Swapping out thise Saints should get u a decent amount, those are nice pedals, but heavy!
    Converting to tubeless is almost a no brainer that i had assumed u alreadt done.
    Yeah, I know SLX is pretty decent and you don't lose a whole lot of weight going to XT. However, if I find a good deal on XT cranks (and further along the road, drivetrains), I will spend on them. Upgrade is life :P

    I haven't converted to tubeless yet. I am lazy.

  12. #12
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    25,581
    Quote Originally Posted by tonev View Post
    Sorry. I don't think I missed your general point. My fault for not being clear with "XT-level costs". I have a $2,000 budget.
    Okay, that's much more clear.

    Fwiw, I don't really consider pedals much of an upgrade item. Like grips and saddle, they are contact points and it's more important for them to "feel" right than anything. For those items, I have found what works for me and am using the same bits on both of my mtbs.

    Within your budget, wheels are pretty high on my list (more or less equal to suspension). But depending on what you have now, it may take most or all of your budget to get lighter weight wheels at least as capable as what you have.

    From a weight standpoint, going to an xd driver and lighter 11spd cassette would cut a good chunk of weight. But may need to be done with the whole wheelset. Though it is possible that your current hubs might have an xd driver available so you could just make that swap. Such a swap is something I wouldn't bother doing until your current cassette is worn and needs replacing, anyway.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    656
    The original goal of loosing half a kilo/ a pound can basically be done by changing 3 items.
    Swap the Saint pedals (545gms) for Chesters (340gms). 205gms gained
    Put on an SLX or XT crank (715 or 698gms) in place of the FSA cranks (840gms). About 140gms gained.
    Go tubeless. Each tube is about 190gms. Make allowance for rim strips and sealant you probably save about the weight of 1x tube 190gms.
    All done for about $150

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Such a swap is something I wouldn't bother doing until your current cassette is worn and needs replacing, anyway.
    Agreed.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    The original goal of loosing half a kilo/ a pound can basically be done by changing 3 items.
    Swap the Saint pedals (545gms) for Chesters (340gms). 205gms gained
    Put on an SLX or XT crank (715 or 698gms) in place of the FSA cranks (840gms). About 140gms gained.
    Funny, we have the same weight figures except I have the FSA cranks at 854g, as PM-ed to me by FSA Facebook Page (can't find any info on the cranks on the Internet).

    Wonder where you got that FSA Crank weight figure? May you provide a link?

Similar Threads

  1. GT SPORT vs. MERIDA 20D vs. MERIDA 40MD
    By griwulf in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2016, 09:32 AM
  2. 2013 Merida one forty 900 for $750
    By carlospiceyweiner in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2014, 09:38 PM
  3. Giant Trance 2 vs Merida One Forty 3B
    By Mano in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 10:29 PM
  4. Merida One-Forty 900
    By mrbike123 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2013, 03:26 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 03:57 PM

Members who have read this thread: 26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.