Mail-Order 29er- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mail-Order 29er

mtbr member
    May 2008

Mail-Order 29er

Hi Everyone. I'm a noob, looking to get back into biking. I had a Trek 800 years ago and looking at a front suspension bike. Most likely will be doing a combo of trail and pavement riding, mostly trail. I certainly will be taking it easy because I'm trying to get back into shape. Jumps, major technical riding etc....will be for the future. I just want to be with nature, on the trails and fill some free hours I have on the weekends.

My concern is that I'm 6' and about 265lbs on a good day. So the frame obviously needs to be a solid one and that's why I've been looking at the Trek 6500. However I just came across these mail order bikes and found a 29'er for $800 including shipping. I'm very hesitant though because I'm concerned for the quality of the frame. It's a Motobecane which I know nothing about. I've listed the components below. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Frame MOTO29X Aluminum with TrailTuned PowerStay Design, DualProfile Downtube with reinforced Gusset, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses
    Fork RockShox TORA RS318 WITH LOCKOUT, 100mm travel*, Adjustable Rebound, SoloAir
    Crankset TruVativ FireX 22/32/44T with integrated GXP BB
    Bottom Bracket TruVativ GXP external bearing
    Pedals Mountain Platform
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT long cage
    Shifters Shimano LX Mega-9 Rapid Fire 27 speed trigger shift
    Cassette/Freewheel Shimano HG cassette 9 speed 11-32T
    Chain Z9000 super narrow 9 speed
    Hubs Gravity by Formula Sealed Bearing Disc with Quick Release
    Spokes Double Butted Stainless steel
    Rims WTB FX28 Disc Black anodized Aluminum
    Tires WTB MotoRaptor 29x2.1
    Brakes Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic Disc front and rear, 185mm rotor
    Brake Levers Avid Juicy 3 for Disc Brake
    Headset CaneCreek Sealed Bearing threadless 1 1/8 inch
    Handlebar Black Finish Aluminum 6061 T6
    Stem Black Finish Aluminum threadless
    Tape/Grip WTB DualCompound
    Saddle WTB SpeedV
    Seat Post Black Finish Aluminum Mountain 27.2mm
    Seat Post Clamp Super Light Alloy with Quick Release
    Sizes 15", 17", 19", 21" Click for 29R Geometry
    Colors MatteSilver, MatteSlate click here for MatteSlate example

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Moto frames are made by Kinesis. Kinesis makes frames for several of the big bike companies. They are good quality. Bikes Direct is reputable. Ordering on the web can give you savings, just don't expect the services you would get from a LBS. You need to know what size frame you need, you won't get to test ride one and you will need to complete the assembly and make adjustments or get somebody else to do that for you. The assembly and adjustments aren't difficult if you are reasonably mechanically inclined. If you don't think you can do these you should get an estimate from a shop of what they would charge and include that in your total cost.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks ad6. If I order from there, I just assume have a LBS put it together. I'm sure I could, but it's probably worth the money to make sure everything is done correctly.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just bought one a few months ago and I love it. I've bashed it pretty good and it's held up just fine. My room-mates both have them too and they haven't had any problems with the frame other than the fact that the cables seem to rub the paint off of it over time. One of them is about your height and weight. My biggest complaint is that it only came with a 270mm seat post which was useless for me. The hangers seem to get destroyed pretty easily too. I've seen four of them bent or destroyed in the last month alone. I would order an extra. Great bike though...I would order it again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Like others have said, you can get a great bike and save a lot of $$$ by ordering from bikesdirect. The main issues that I would have with ordering online are: 1) I am unable to test ride the bike. 2) I am worried that UPS/FedEx or whoever would damage the bike during shipping and create a huge hassle.

And I'm still skeptical about how well warranty claims would be handled with some of these companies, but hopefully the bike would just never break (or not for a long time anyways).

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hampton
    It's a Motobecane which I know nothing about. I've listed the components below. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Some acquaintances of mine bought Motobecane bikes last year. As I recall, the frames looked surprisingly good.

Were it me though, and I were going to buy a 29er mail-order, I'd probably go with the Section-29 from IBEX:

http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/SEC-29-Details.html

I can't offer any rational reason for preferring IBEX. I do like their website better than the Bikes Direct site. And people who buy IBEX generally seem very satisfied.

knock-knock...
    i can. the ibex has bb7s for brakes which are FAR superior to the juicy threes, and this isnt just me being a hydrophobe, and it comes with clipless pedals, thats another 60 dollars in the bank for you.

Former Bike Wrench
    I would probably take the Ibex over the Moto at the same price. I actually purchased the Windsor Cliff Pro 29er from Bikes Direct as I prefer Sram over Shimano and I also liked the Juicy 5's better. The main weak spot is the crankset on the Windsor, though if installed correctly (Sram has a service bulletin on it) its trouble free.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skottt160
    i can. the ibex has bb7s for brakes which are FAR superior to the juicy threes, and this isnt just me being a hydrophobe, and it comes with clipless pedals, thats another 60 dollars in the bank for you.
    First off, you can buy those pedals for $40, not $60. You also happen to save $40 in shipping by buying from BikesDirect. As for the brakes, I don't have experience with the bb7s, but I do with the bb5s. They don't even compare to the Juicy Threes I am using now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aharb
    As for the brakes, I don't have experience with the bb7s, but I do with the bb5s. They don't even compare to the Juicy Threes I am using now.
    The BB7s are superior to the BB5s, and much better than the Juicy 3s, imo, especially if you buy some good levers to go with them. I decided to replace the stock Juicy 3s on my bike with BB7s because I didn't feel like having to hassle with bleeding, especially when the brakes aren't that good to begin with. They were ok initially, but one day the front brake just lost nearly all its power. I could have taken it to the shop and have them bleed the brakes, or I could have bought a bleed kit and done it myself, but I chose to buy BB7s which are known to be great breaks that are easy to setup and have very good stopping power. It's high-end mechanical brakes vs low-end hydraulic brakes. Just look at the reviews of BB7s and Juicy 3s and compare them. I'll take the high-end mechanicals. These things are powerful enough to throw you over the handlebars. It almost happened to me once.

knock-knock...
    sorry, i didnt look up the price, i just threw a number off the top of my head. it was really a guess, and i shouldve done a little research there. it was just a little something else, the brakes are the things that would scare me away though, three of my friends have gotten rid of their juicy 3s for the problems, and i hear the 5s are a whole new league. Kind of like the difference between bb5s and bb7s. i had bb5s on my old (stolen) bike and bb7s on my current bike, and there is no comparison, especially with different rotors.

thanks though for the correction

Members who have read this thread: 0