Magazines- Mtbr.com

Thread: Magazines

mtbr member

Magazines

I have just picked up the May issue of Mountain Bike Action. I am just curious on what you all think about this magazine? I have no opened it yet, but bought it to give me some tricks and tips on riding, and give me more of a rounding of this new sport i am bout to take up. Im trying to read up on as much as i can before i start riding. So yeah is this magazine ne good? Do you recommend ne others? Im into that Northshore riding and Hardtail bikes, if that helps at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Give Dirt Rag a shot and if you like it, only $100 for lifetime subscription.

mtbr member
    Life time? wtf you gotta be joking? That sounds good. Can i pick it up at and local shop like grocery store? Or would i have to go into a book store to get it instead. Now what do you think about the one im reading now. Mountain Bike Action. Any good? Or is it like garbage and wont teach me anything new?

mtbr member

Mountain bike action.

Mountain bike action, teaches allot if you read the reveiws and mail there last issue gives advice on rock/ log tranversing. The letters from the editor are always good, I like it and suscribe to it and Dirtrag. Dirtrag to me is more California style there bikes they test I have never heard of most of them and there articles are mainly political about trail laws and closings. I like the art and the stories in them allot. Mountain bikng is just like scratching the surface of the sport.
    I have some advice check out there web sites. thats how I decided which one to get. Remember all the guys/gals are excellent riders so they really know how one bike handles to another. And Don't try this at home, well if you donn't then you will never get more experienced, Try all the logs and obstacles you can then you be like me an over confident rider who gets in over his head and handle bars allot.
    I don't ride, I close my eyes and hang on for dear life.

mtbr member
    Thank you.. It doesnt seem like that bad of a magazine, just not beefy. I can see myself going through it in under a week if i dont have a lot to due. But since i talk on her a lot, maybe that will change. Im most likely going to go to a bike store and try to find magazines that cover the north shore riding.... And how to do all that technical stuff... Even tho MTB Action should cover it, shouldnt they? Just probably not in the issue i got. Maybe if i do like this mag then a subscription is in store. But as for dirt rag, i dunno about them, a lot of politics on trail closings, i wont know wut they are talking about. I just want to learn some techniques have some good stories, and articles of nice trail riding.

mtbr member
    I'm into also into northsore style hardtails. Check out this site its a ezine that has a bunch of crazy hard tail stuff:

http://revolutionfreeride.com/revfr2003/index.asp

otbmbc.com
    Dec 2004
    Lots of riders don't like MBA because it has too many advertisements or too many internet/mailorder advertisement pages.

You know what? I like it. Its good to know the going rate of parts and where you can get what and from whom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SabbathU71
    Lots of riders don't like MBA because it has too many advertisements or too many internet/mailorder advertisement pages.

You know what? I like it. Its good to know the going rate of parts and where you can get what and from whom.
    I just wish it had more on trail riding and techniques. The goods. You know north shore the planks and etc. Or did i get a good mag but on a bad issue lol? Im fliipin through and i notice it does talk about how to ride in different conditions and how to make ur own jumps so maybe i did pick up a decent mag overall? and then next issue may have a lil north shore riding and tips on technical terrain?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Dirt Rag - California style? That's kinda funny. I always though of it as more of an east coast mag.

On the other hand, MBA's palacial HQ is located about five miles from my house... in CA.

For myself, I like MBA, Dirt Rag and BIKE and all for different reasons.

Try the archived back issues of MBA and I imagine you'll find some stuff on NS riding somewhere. You can order back issues.

If you are looking for tips and technique that are All North Shore, All the Time, can't help you there.

mtbr member
    Well, i MBA seems good for now, just for over all tips.. If i could find a more of a mag for North shore and tips on north shore riding that would be more for me. But since i havent found a mag like that, i think ill stick with MBA.

mtbr member

Guess I am wrong.

I went through back issues of DirtRag and now I see your point, I affilate it with the west Coast because of how the articles are and the art. But after going through back issues I see how the advertisements are more east coast,
    I have a brother in L.A. and he is how I thought California style, I compared his life to be how I thought DirtRag put themselves across.
    So all in all I still like DirtRag and MBA is good so no matter what I like them both, just I don't like politics mixed in with my riding and dreaming of the bike I will never have.
    I don't ride, I close my eyes and hang on for dear life.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by SabbathU71

I like it too. It may be my favorite and I get em all (Bike, Mountain Bike, Mountain Biking, Dirt Rag, Velonews, Bicycling....).

I would have to say that Bike is my least favorite. It is so lame and predictable (ie, loads of pictures that I can get on the internet if I was interested) but perhaps I was more of a granola-eating tree-hugger I may enjoy it.......thus, I dont like it. Will not renew that one since I guess I am too shallow.

Mountain Bike and Mountain Biking are ok and Dirt Rag is my other favorite probably since it seems unique though a little lame in terms of that stupid old coot portion.

cheers

mtbr member
    BIKE is my favorite. MBA is all about the bikes whereas BIKE is all about biking. Big difference there. I buy a few issues of MBA here and there but the whole thing feels like one giant advertisement for a select group of bike companies...it feels to corporate. But BIKE and Dirt Rag have a more comfortable feel to them. MBA has pro-level testers with shaved legs and 0.3% body fat. BIKE and Dirt Rag are more realistic in their approach.

Of the biker friends I have, the ones that count grams, wear plain spandex and race on saturdays prefer MBA. The ones that wear baggies, have hairy legs (to include some of the women), and do trail maintenance on saturdays prefer BIKE and Dirt Rag.

mtbr member
    what do you all think as the most north shore included in it?

Glad to Be Alive
    IMO

MBA SUCKS !!!!!!

I live by the so called magazine's home. They really pissed off some of the locals around here. They write articles on how bad it is to ride on illegal trails and then every issue has about 3 to 6 pictures of them riding on the "local" illegal trails. They are hypocrites. The letters to RC must be fabricated. He even lied about surfing a Tsuamie (sp) (Hey RC learn your info before you write an article, so you don't sound like an idiot) and the review on bikes...please The review on bikes are never the truth because they can't give a bad rating of a bike. The bike manufacture pays for advertising space. Bad rating, no money for advertising. No money for advertising, no money to eat or print their junk

The article between Sram and XTR was a joke. Notice the nice use of adjectives for XTR all the time trying to bring down SRAM (The new Sram X9 or X0 are hella cool check them out)

Anyway, IMO
    MBA SUCKS !!!!!! that is how I feel....not even an apology would change my mind.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    That really helps a lot... lol. I'm trying to find a mag with the most north shore articles in it. No one has any recommendations?

Probably drunk right now

My 2...

Quote Originally Posted by GinoLicious
    That really helps a lot... lol. I'm trying to find a mag with the most north shore articles in it. No one has any recommendations?
    First, as someone new to mountain biking, your perspective on a "good" magazine will be dramatically different than someone who has been riding for years. There's nothing wrong with any of the available magazines for you right now, because they all contain information that will be valuable to you.

As you gain more experience and knowledge, you'll graduate toward the magazine that's right for you. I prefer Dirt Rag because they feature very little "how to ride better" articles and focus more on the culture of cycling. When I first started riding, I read MBA, Bike, Mountain Bike (no longer a monthly magazine) and any other printed material I could get my hands on.

A couple thoughts on learning more about North Shore: Head over to pinkbike.com and surf around there. It's a great site, based out of Canada and the site's focus is freeride and downhill and they focus a lot on the North Shore. Another resource for you is the North Shore Mountain Bicycling Association. It's a site that focuses on advocacy and trails around the North Shore but they also feature some really nice pictures and videos of North Shore riding.

Go over to the Downhill/Freeride section of mtbr and ask them about magazines featuring North Shore/Freeride/Downhill. They'll be far more knowledgable than most of us on this forum about what you're looking for.

Have fun, good luck.

Ken