Lubricate what?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lubricate what?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Lubricate what?

I have a '11 Fuel EX 8 and am wondering: What parts do I need to lubricate after I wash/clean the bike? Thanks.

Class Clown
    Chain. Maybe some light lube on derailleur pivots.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here's a pretty awesome guide for cleaning/maintenance. If you're new to MTB and bike maintenance (nothing wrong with it) check this guide out. It should help you out with your basics. Hope this helps.

http://steveukmtb.wordpress.com/basi...tenance-guide/

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Yeah chain of course, usually every ride or so. Lube your cleats if you have clipless and the pivots in your pedals every once in a while. Lubing the cleats help you get in and out of your pedals nice and smoothly. Prolly more a personal preference though. I'll drip some pedros down my brake and shifter lines once in a while. Don't bother if you run full housing like I do now. Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohnine
    I have a '11 Fuel EX 8 and am wondering: What parts do I need to lubricate after I wash/clean the bike? Thanks.
    First off, let your bike dry over night before you lube anything on it. Normal stuff to lube after a wash are the chain and the FD and RD pivots. Occassional lubing (once or twice a season) of the shifter and brake cables is a good idea.

Warning -- I used to wash my bike after almost every ride, which is too often. Unless you ride in muddy conditions, don't wash your bike that frequently. I wound up with water in the headset bearings and bottom bracket bearings because I washed too often. Now that I have backed off to a lower wash frequency, I don't have that problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankinMich
    Unless you ride in muddy conditions, don't wash your bike that frequently.
    Agreed. I look at it as "what parts of my bike do I actually need to wash". Dirt isn't hurting anything unless it's in your chain, bearings, pivots, etc and there are better ways to clean each of those directly than hosing off the whole bike. Water can find it's way into places that dirt doesn't easily reach.

Members who have read this thread: 0