Lowest compnent group?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Lowest compnent group?

Only got into cycling in May and have been doing road for the time being until I'm in better shape, which I am now. For the road bike it was recommended, as far as Shimano components, that I have no lower than 105 group. I was wondering what is the minimum recommendation for the MTB group? I will be doing some racing, but nothing hardcore, so want a good entry level race type group. From what I have read it appears I should have no lower than the Hone as that appears to be in-line with the 105 group, but just wanted to double check. I have, in order of best to cheapest:
    1: XTR
    2: Yumeya- after market upgrade??
    3: Saint
    4: Deore XT
    5: Hone
    6: SLX
    7: Deore LX
    8: Deore
    9: Alivio

Thanks for the advice.
    Dan'o :}

There's no app for this.

thoughts...

LX or Hone should do, but I don't know pricing on those groups. You can spend more on the XT group, and XTR is simply XT with R for race, but should be $ for money. Pricing but super light.

If starting, LX is good, and also key is if you break something, it won't break you replacing it.

Jim

Oh, and good luck racing!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am a firm believer that deore or LX is just as good as the rest, just not as cool

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Don't be too wed to Shimano. Mtb bikes tend not to be as dedicated to one manfacturer's component groups, as compared to road bikes. Mix and match for the best setup you can afford. For the Shimano components, Deore LX or higher is better. For derailleurs and shifters, I'd go with SRAM X9 or higher (X0, XX).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    slx is similar to 105. all the tech, none of the overpriced crap that really does nothing.

hone is discontinued. it was the budget freeride kinda gear. its gone now though, as is the LX group. just go slx.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto

hone is discontinued. it was the budget freeride kinda gear. its gone now though, as is the LX group. just go slx.
    That figures. I got the groups straight off the Shimano website

mtbr member
    I have thousands of rough and rocky miles on my deore crank and shifters. Everyone upgrades the rear derailleur just because it is so visible. STX or LX are pretty good groups. I'm not sure about disc brakes, but for the rest, I have had good luck with LX hubs.
    Think about it. How different could each group be, and how much is marketing/status? A lot of the parts from the different groups aren't even that different in weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    LX is now a touring weenie bike kinda thing. its like tourney now i guess. not really suitable for mountain use.

mtbr member
    You are right. The Shimano website says SLX is for mountain biking and LX is for trekking, whatever that is.
    But older LX groups are mtb groups, between deore and XT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i trashed a deore rear derailleur in a hurry. they just dont have the spring tension. the new shadow derailleurs, be it slx or xt, are definitely worth it! besides that ive never had a problem with any other component of deore or better.

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiendbear
    Don't be too wed to Shimano. Mtb bikes tend not to be as dedicated to one manfacturer's component groups, as compared to road bikes. Mix and match for the best setup you can afford. For the Shimano components, Deore LX or higher is better. For derailleurs and shifters, I'd go with SRAM X9 or higher (X0, XX).
    This is a good post. Shimano doesn't make the best for any component, and they do not make the best value for most components.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Underskilled
    You just have to know the differences, I pick best for long term value, as in if it last 3 times as long I am happy to pay twice as much.

deore chain rings (steel so strong and slow wearing)
    XT rear cassette, strongest, light and not obscenely expensive)
    Shifters, any - I use XT, but I prefer my wifes x9.
    chain KMC X9/l

Members who have read this thread: 0