Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    New Bike Enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15

    Lots of Beginner Questions!

    A little background on me before we start.
    I'm a beginner to bikes themselves, not biking. I feel that my skills have progressed enough to where I can handle near any trail thrown at me.
    That being said, I feel mostly unsafe doing so with my current bike. It is a DiamondBack Coil 24". Me being 6'4", 150 lbs, it's obviously not big enough.
    A couple of questions: I have a Manitou Six Deluxe fork I've recently acquired. If all the measurements lined up, would putting the manitou fork in, and putting a 26" wheel in front, make any noticeable differences? This is related to the 69'er bikes, but may possibly be different.
    Another question: I may be able to acquire a Iron Horse Warrior full suspension. Would this bike be able to handle up to 15 foot drops, and survive the rigors of downhill or XC riding?
    Also, if you wish, throw out some recommendations on bikes for me!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spazzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,570
    well the first point i have to make is that no bike will be able to do 15 foot drops while still being a good xc bike...you either choose one or the other, less travel and pedalability or more travel and pedals like poo but is good at drops

    i checked out that fork and it looks to be a 2002ish model (atleast thats when the reviews i found on it were from) and it wont accept a 29er wheel

    which model of iron horse are you looking at? they make quite a few great bikes, but also some that are a half step up from that wally world special you are riding now...

    before suggesting what kind of bikes are good for you? what do you want to ride? trail riding, downhill/freeride, or dirtjumps and park???

    also what is your price range?

  3. #3
    New Bike Enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15
    I would be putting a 26" wheel in front, and keep the 24" in back.
    The iron horse bike is a Warrior 4.5
    I'm not sure what a good bike would be to me. I would like to do trail riding with some occasional and freeride. I've got a separate dirt jump bike.
    Price range is up to 1000.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jetpropel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Konkordmusk
    A little background on me before we start.
    I'm a beginner to bikes themselves, not biking. I feel that my skills have progressed enough to where I can handle near any trail thrown at me.
    That being said, I feel mostly unsafe doing so with my current bike. It is a DiamondBack Coil 24". Me being 6'4", 150 lbs, it's obviously not big enough.
    A couple of questions: I have a Manitou Six Deluxe fork I've recently acquired. If all the measurements lined up, would putting the manitou fork in, and putting a 26" wheel in front, make any noticeable differences? This is related to the 69'er bikes, but may possibly be different.
    Another question: I may be able to acquire a Iron Horse Warrior full suspension. Would this bike be able to handle up to 15 foot drops, and survive the rigors of downhill or XC riding?
    Also, if you wish, throw out some recommendations on bikes for me!
    First, that DiamondBack coil is WAY to small for you. It may be a better option to put that fork towards another project and not venture into the realm of 46er (weird geometry, and a fork that will be too much for that frame).

    Like the other poster, it's hard to find a bike that can handle those drops and still provide a good experience with XC.

  5. #5
    New Bike Enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15
    Yes, I admitted it was too small in my first post. I have no other project to put the fork towards, as of yet. And I would much rather have a bike that could handle large drops than a XC bike.

  6. #6
    New Bike Enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15
    So what kind of rear link would suit me best for freeriding?

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    Build up, because you're looking at $7k bikes to do 15 ft.

    I have a feeling there is overstatement of the riding requirements here.

  8. #8
    New Bike Enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15
    Wouldn't you agree that it's best to be overstated than understated? But no, there are 2 roughly 13-15 foot rock drops at Folsom Lake.

  9. #9
    New Bike Enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    I don't mean to be snarky, but you've got to be kidding!

    Why does the rear linkage matter so much if you're going off 15 foot drops?! It's more a matter of how the bike's built, the fork, the suspension, and the components. The linkage question sounds like BS to me.

    Have you tried going to your LBS and asking THEM? I mean, I know you're looking for advice from experienced riders, but last time I checked, Folsom Lake isn't that much of a freeride trail.
    That's the thing, I don't know what I should be asking for. I asked the rear link question, because at one of my LBS, all the full suspension bikes use the same rear suspension. At another, it's half and half between one style and another. I don't know what the difference is performance-wise. I've asked as many questions to each bike shop as I could think of, but they've all referred me singly to the most expensive bike they've got.

  10. #10
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,749

    We've given you the right answer....

    Quote Originally Posted by Konkordmusk
    That's the thing, I don't know what I should be asking for. I asked the rear link question, because at one of my LBS, all the full suspension bikes use the same rear suspension. At another, it's half and half between one style and another. I don't know what the difference is performance-wise. I've asked as many questions to each bike shop as I could think of, but they've all referred me singly to the most expensive bike they've got.
    So have your local bike shops that have given you "horrible" customer service. They actually given you the right answer.


    They're pointing you toward the single most expensive bike they've got because you've given them the criteria that point them toward that bike.

    15' drops require a bike that costs $5,000-$7,000. That's it, simple as that.

    If you're a beginning level rider, I'd suggest taking out a great insurance policy on yourself.

  11. #11
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,749

    P.s....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    So have your local bike shops that have given you "horrible" customer service. They actually given you the right answer.


    They're pointing you toward the single most expensive bike they've got because you've given them the criteria that point them toward that bike.

    15' drops require a bike that costs $5,000-$7,000. That's it, simple as that.

    If you're a beginning level rider, I'd suggest taking out a great insurance policy on yourself.
    I'm giving you this on the off chance that you're not a troll. I suspect that you really live under a bridge and eat goats.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.